* Binary compatibility report for Xen base libraries
@ 2016-06-24 14:21 Ponomarenko Andrey
From: Ponomarenko Andrey @ 2016-06-24 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-users; +Cc: xen-devel

Hello,

I maintain a new project for backward compatibility analysis of the Linux ABIs. The report for Xen base libraries has been recently added to the project: http://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/xen/

The report is generated daily with the help of the abi-compliance-checker, abi-dumper and abi-tracker tools: https://github.com/lvc/abi-tracker

Hope this will help users, maintainers and developers to maintain backward compatibility.

Thank you.

* Re: Binary compatibility report for Xen base libraries
@ 2016-06-24 14:42 ` Doug Goldstein
From: Doug Goldstein @ 2016-06-24 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ponomarenko Andrey, xen-users; +Cc: xen-devel

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 891 bytes --]

On 6/24/16 9:21 AM, Ponomarenko Andrey wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I maintain a new project for backward compatibility analysis of the Linux ABIs. The report for Xen base libraries has been recently added to the project: http://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/xen/
>
> The report is generated daily with the help of the abi-compliance-checker, abi-dumper and abi-tracker tools: https://github.com/lvc/abi-tracker
>
> Hope this will help users, maintainers and developers to maintain backward compatibility.
>
> Thank you.

Outstanding! I had mentioned your tools in the #xen-devel channel. And I
had talked about utilizing them as part of the Travis build process with
the goal of making this data available. Thank you for doing this.

Do you have any advice for us if it would be positive to do some sort of
check on a per-commit basis or not?

--
Doug Goldstein

* Re: [Xen-users] Binary compatibility report for Xen base libraries
@ 2016-06-27 13:49   ` Ponomarenko Andrey
From: Ponomarenko Andrey @ 2016-06-27 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Doug Goldstein, xen-users; +Cc: xen-devel

26.06.2016, 17:42, "Doug Goldstein":
>  On 6/24/16 9:21 AM, Ponomarenko Andrey wrote:
>>   Hello,
>>
>>   I maintain a new project for backward compatibility analysis of the Linux ABIs. The report for Xen base libraries has been recently added to the project: http://abi-laboratory.pro/tracker/timeline/xen/
>>
>>   The report is generated daily with the help of the abi-compliance-checker, abi-dumper and abi-tracker tools: https://github.com/lvc/abi-tracker
>>
>>   Hope this will help users, maintainers and developers to maintain backward compatibility.
>>
>>   Thank you.
>
>  Outstanding! I had mentioned your tools in the #xen-devel channel. And I
>  had talked about utilizing them as part of the Travis build process with
>  the goal of making this data available. Thank you for doing this.
>
>  Do you have any advice for us if it would be positive to do some sort of
>  check on a per-commit basis or not?

Hello,

You can use basic tools to perform analysis per each commit:

1. Build shared objects of a library with debug info (with -g -Og additional GCC flags)
2. Extract ABI information with the help of the abi-dumper tool:

    abi-dumper xen-4.5.3/lib64/libxenguest.so.4.5.0 --vnum=4.5.3 --public-headers=xen-4.5.3/include --output=./ABI-4.5.3.dump
    abi-dumper xen-4.6.0/lib64/libxenguest.so.4.6.0 --vnum=4.6.0 --public-headers=xen-4.6.0/include --output=./ABI-4.6.0.dump

3. Compare ABI dumps to produce report:

    abi-compliance-checker -l libxenguest -old ABI-4.5.3.dump -new ABI-4.6.0.dump

The abi-tracker and abi-monitor tools can also be used to perform analysis per each commit:

1. Create profile for a library (e.g. https://github.com/lvc/upstream-tracker/blob/master/profile/xen.json) and add the following property to it:

    "Git": "http://xenbits.xen.org/git-http/xen.git",

2. Create build script for a library (e.g. https://github.com/lvc/upstream-tracker/blob/master/build_script/xen.sh)
3. Retry this command per each commit to pull source from git repository, download latest stable releases and build them:

    abi-monitor -get -build-new profile/xen.json

4. Run this command to update ABI report after each run of the abi-monitor:

    abi-tracker -build profile/xen.json

5. The latest version of the library from git will be analyzed against the latest stable release.

Thank you.