From: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>
To: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@suse.com>
Cc: "Luis R. Rodriguez" <mcgrof@kernel.org>,
	"xen-devel@lists.xensource.com" <xen-devel@lists.xensource.com>
Subject: Re: Xen default install - no cpufreq on dom0 ?
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 23:55:48 +0000	[thread overview]

On 23/02/2016 23:44, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 10:44:56PM +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>>> Clearly, overheating. I'm not yet sure if its just BIOS/kernel/hypervisor
>>> induced forced shutdown. Will try again, but this is rather intrusive as
>>> its on my personal home system.
>> You have dislodged the heat sync and the processor is shutting down due
>> to thermal cutout.
> How do I prevent this ?

Open up your computer and shuffle things around.  Alternatively unclog
the fan.  Possibly both.

> The difference in operation between dom0 and
> bare metal is rather extreme. Is this expected ? Is there a clutch
> I can use ?

The only thing software can control is now badly things go wrong.  It is
not the source of the problem.

Baremetal probably has deep C and P states set up properly, but it will
still be under clocking as much as it can in an attempt to avoid
generating as much heat.

~Andrew