On 06/06/16 16:48, Wei Liu wrote: >> A distro which isn't equipped to deal with these things is of no >> practical use in the real world. >> >> Any distro we care about supporting is equipped to deal with logs. >> >>> >>> I agree that if logging using existing logging systems were workable, >>> that would be a better solution. Wei did actually spend a decent chunk >>> of time looking at other options, including logrotate and journald >>> before settling on using xenconsoled. >>> >>> A lot of this brainstorming and discussion happened off-list because >>> XSA-180 was still embargoed, so I can understand why it looks like this >>> came out of nowhere. It would probably be good for Wei to report here >>> what he found and why he decided to propose this solution instead. >> >> Please do. Until there is an understanding of why the standard >> mechanisms are not suitable, it is premature and naive to re-invent a wheel. >> > > With syslog and logrotate you will still end up filling up your disk. > Logrotate can't actively rotate log files. FWIW CentOS 6 and 7 (which use rsyslogd and systemd-journald respectively) seem to have rate-limiting stuff enabled by default; the attached program causes a lot of CPU utilization, but no disk resource exhaustion. > You can't just tap syslog to QEMU at the moment unless you use the > script I sent to XSA-180 security@ discussion. That's still a hacked up > solution. > > I actually don't mind having syslog deal with those, but we need to > provide some not-so-hacked-up way for doing it. On Linux, it looks like you can create a socket and "connect" to /dev/log. -George