* xenpm and scheduler
@ 2016-04-11  8:16 tutu sky
From: tutu sky @ 2016-04-11  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xen-devel, xen-users

hi,
Does xenpm 'cpufreq' or 'cpuidle' feature, has any effect on scheduling decisions?
thanks a lot.

* Re: xenpm and scheduler
@ 2016-04-11 12:11 ` Meng Xu
From: Meng Xu @ 2016-04-11 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tutu sky; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 10:16 AM, tutu sky <ooohooo_u@hotmail.com> wrote:

> hi,
> Does xenpm 'cpufreq' or 'cpuidle' feature, has any effect on scheduling
> decisions?

​Please do not cross post.

No effect on RTDS scheduler.

May I ask a question: why do you need to consider this?

Thanks,

Meng
--
-----------
Meng Xu

* Re: xenpm and scheduler
@ 2016-04-12  3:52   ` tutu sky
From: tutu sky @ 2016-04-12  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Meng Xu; +Cc: Xen-devel

Thanks Xu. I will do as desired about cross messaging.

i need it because i exactly want to know that which part of the scheduler's corde (credit), takes effect from this feature. because it is important to me knowing that where would be trade off between idle state and doing load balancing, while cpuidle feature is activated. in other side it's important again for me that what will happen for 'cap; and 'weight' decreasing in a case that one core's frequency is lower than another one in the same socket (actually when cpufreq feature is enable).

Am i clear enough? can you give me an answer or maybe some lines of schedule.c or sched_credit.c's code which i can track them to notice the effect of xenpm on scheduler part of the view?

Thanks a lot.
Regards.

@ 2016-04-12  8:10     ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-04-12  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tutu sky, Meng Xu; +Cc: Xen-devel

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 03:52 +0000, tutu sky wrote:
> Thanks Xu. I will do as desired about cross messaging.
>
> i need it because i exactly want to know that which part of the
> scheduler's corde (credit), takes effect from this feature. because
> it is important to me knowing that where would be trade off between
> idle state and doing load balancing, while cpuidle feature is
> activated. in other side it's important again for me that what will
> happen for 'cap; and 'weight' decreasing in a case that one core's
> frequency is lower than another one in the same socket (actually when
> cpufreq feature is enable).

Currently, there is no interaction between the scheduler and the power
management and frequency scaling layers.

> Am i clear enough? can you give me an answer or maybe some lines of
> schedule.c or sched_credit.c's code which i can track them to notice
> the effect of xenpm on scheduler part of the view?

If you're saying that, for instance, the CPUs changing frequency can or
should affect some aspects of the scheduling algorithms (like credits
burning rate in Credit1 and Credit2, and budget burning rate in RTDS),
that is an interesting point which may indeed make sense, or at least
would deserve more investigation.

But again, right now, there's no line of code to read to understand the
relationship, as there's no relationship at all.

If you want to experiment on playing with xenpm, and seeing what effect
it has on scheduling, that will be very welcome. :-)

Regards,
Dario

* Re: xenpm and scheduler
@ 2016-04-12 11:50       ` tutu sky
From: tutu sky @ 2016-04-12 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu; +Cc: Xen-devel

Thanks Dario,
Yeah, I do like playing with xenpm and try understanding relationship between this and scheduler. but i established a xen environment on vmware, but xenpm does not work correctly and even for 'cpufreq', it is silent at all! so it does not let me try to play with :(. I asked this problem before in the user and devel lists both,  but no body answered me. how can i track the problem, from who (I know that power management is out of your maintenance scope)?? (may xenpm have the same problem on a real platform (again) instead of vmware?)
thanks a lot.
regards.

@ 2016-04-12 13:41         ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-04-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tutu sky; +Cc: Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu, Xen-devel

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 11:50:42AM +0000, tutu sky wrote:
> Thanks Dario,
> Yeah, I do like playing with xenpm and try understanding relationship between this and scheduler. but i established a xen environment on vmware, but xenpm does not work correctly and even for 'cpufreq', it is silent at all! so it does not let me try to play with :(. I asked this problem before in the user and devel lists both,  but no body answered me. how can i track the problem, from who (I know that power management is out of your maintenance scope)?? (may xenpm have the same problem on a real platform (again) instead of vmware?)
> thanks a lot.

You will have to.

I don't believe VMWare exposes C and P states to guests so therefore
there is no power freqeuency in play.

> regards.

* Re: xenpm and scheduler
@ 2016-04-12 17:04           ` tutu sky
From: tutu sky @ 2016-04-12 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu, Xen-devel

Thanks Konrad. I will do :)
Yeah, I believe so. as i can see that there is not any bios settings for power management in there (vmware).  I hope you be the correct party which i want to ask this question: there is a tutorial here in this page:
1) http://xenserver.org/partners/developing-products-for-xenserver/19-dev-help/138-xs-dev-perf-turbo.html

which i know as a quick guide for establishing xenpm. my Q is that, are this page and this two page of xen.wiki below enough for establishing xenpm and make it work totally?

2) http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xenpm_command
3) http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_power_management

 if yes, there is a problem, when i compiled xen from source, there is not any xensource folder in /opt folder in dom0 to follow the instructions in (1) address. i did all those instructions in dom0 config file instead.

if these guides are not enough in your point of view too, i think (just as a suggestion), xenpm needs more documentation, in order to clarify it's activation and usage progress. it remains a silent area in this giant project although is quiet usable.

thanks and regards.

@ 2016-04-12 17:08             ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-04-12 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tutu sky; +Cc: Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu, Xen-devel

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016 at 05:04:04PM +0000, tutu sky wrote:
> Thanks Konrad. I will do :)
> Yeah, I believe so. as i can see that there is not any bios settings for power management in there (vmware).  I hope you be the correct party which i want to ask this question: there is a tutorial here in this page:
> 1) http://xenserver.org/partners/developing-products-for-xenserver/19-dev-help/138-xs-dev-perf-turbo.html
>
> which i know as a quick guide for establishing xenpm. my Q is that, are this page and this two page of xen.wiki below enough for establishing xenpm and make it work totally?
>
> 2) http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xenpm_command
> 3) http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_power_management
>
>  if yes, there is a problem, when i compiled xen from source, there is not any xensource folder in /opt folder in dom0 to follow the instructions in (1) address. i did all those instructions in dom0 config file instead.

Xen source != XenServer.

> if these guides are not enough in your point of view too, i think (just as a suggestion), xenpm needs more documentation, in order to clarify it's activation and usage progress. it remains a silent area in this giant project although is quiet usable.

If you run 'xenpm' by itself it gives you the options.

Patches to make an manpage for xenpm are always warmly welcome!

@ 2016-04-12 17:46               ` tutu sky
From: tutu sky @ 2016-04-12 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu, Xen-devel

yeah, running xenpm gives short comments on its commands and their options but not about how to establish it.

I try my best for this :)
thanks a lot.

@ 2016-04-12 21:05                 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-04-12 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tutu sky, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Meng Xu, Xen-devel

On Tue, 2016-04-12 at 17:46 +0000, tutu sky wrote:
> yeah, running xenpm gives short comments on its commands and their
> options but not about how to establish it.

I do not understand what you mean with 'establishing' xenpm. If you run
Xen on a machine that has power management and/or frequency scaling
capabilities, you'll be able to use the various xenpm commands.

It most likely will have to be a real hardware box, as I don't think
emulation or nested virtualization satisfies the above condition (for
most of the emulator and hypervisor that I know of). You also need to
use a sufficiently recent Linux dom0 kernel. Konrad knows better than
me what's the minimum necessary version, but I don't think this is a
problem (i.e., any kernel since the last couple of years should work
fine).

Or was it something else you were asking?

Dario

@ 2016-04-13  8:21                   ` tutu sky
From: tutu sky @ 2016-04-13  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dario Faggioli, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk; +Cc: Meng Xu, Xen-devel

Dario, let me try it in real hardware and i'll back reporting here. I know that there are some distros which are suitable to be dom0:
http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Dom0_Kernels_for_Xen
I think i choose my distro correctly (ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and i can see xen related configurations in its .config file.

i thought as same as you but after reading devel lists and people's problem with this feature, i noticed maybe using xenpm needs make some modification about acpi in dom0's .config file, which leads to kernel building again. I'm not sure now and after running my setup on a real hardware, i'll back to report here.
those people who encountered problems, used real hardware.

Thanks for discussing.
regards.

@ 2016-04-13  9:52                     ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2016-04-13  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tutu sky; +Cc: Dario Faggioli, Meng Xu, Xen-devel

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 08:21:46AM +0000, tutu sky wrote:
> Dario, let me try it in real hardware and i'll back reporting here. I know that there are some distros which are suitable to be dom0:
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Dom0_Kernels_for_Xen
> I think i choose my distro correctly (ubuntu 14.04 LTS) and i can see xen related configurations in its .config file.
>
> i thought as same as you but after reading devel lists and people's problem with this feature, i noticed maybe using xenpm needs make some modification about acpi in dom0's .config file, which leads to kernel building again. I'm not sure now and after running my setup on a real hardware, i'll back to report here.
> those people who encountered problems, used real hardware.

Right, you may just want to use the distro supplied version of Xen
first.

* Re: xenpm and scheduler
@ 2016-04-13 10:24                     ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2016-04-13 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)