From: "Roger Pau Monné" <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To: Paulina Szubarczyk <paulinaszubarczyk@gmail.com>
Cc: anthony.perard@citrix.com, xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org,
	"Dario Faggioli" <dario.faggioli@citrix.com>,
	"Mina Naghshnejad" <mina.naghshnejad@gmail.com>,
	"Roger Pau Monné" <roger.pau@citrix.com>
Subject: Re: Outreachy bite-sized tasks
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 15:35:41 +0200	[thread overview]

Please don't top post, it breaks the flow of the conversation.

I'm also adding Anthony (one of the QEMU/Xen maintainers).
On Fri, 1 Apr 2016, Paulina Szubarczyk wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> An another point that needs to be filled up in the application is timeline.
> I made the proposition of it, I am not sure if it should be more complex. Could you look at it in your free time?
>
> Timeline:
>
> 22 April - 22 May [Before the intership]
>  * Elaborate performance measurement methodology. That may include putting trace
>     points using TRDCS and performing read operation with varying block sizes on
>     different storage devices as in [3].

Could you elaborate on TRDCS? I've tried googling for it, but nothing came
up.

Also, I think it would be good to write down which tool are you going to
use in order to perform those measurements, and how/which block sizes are
you going to test. Also keep into account that apart from block sizes you
also have to take into account the number of parallel workers and the
queue depth of each one.

Regarding the different storage devices, we usually did benchmarks using a
ramdisk, but Linux intorduced a null-block device [0] not long ago that I
think could be used to model different storage devices without actually
having to buy them.

I don't expect that you do all this now, but it is important to think
about the different scenarios/benchmarks and plan ahead, so that you
don't end up running benchmarks that are not useful.

[0] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/block/null_blk.txt