On 17.12.20 13:14, Jan Beulich wrote: > On 17.12.2020 12:32, Jürgen Groß wrote: >> On 17.12.20 12:28, Jan Beulich wrote: >>> On 09.12.2020 17:09, Juergen Gross wrote: >>>> +static const struct hypfs_entry *hypfs_dyndir_enter( >>>> + const struct hypfs_entry *entry) >>>> +{ >>>> + const struct hypfs_dyndir_id *data; >>>> + >>>> + data = hypfs_get_dyndata(); >>>> + >>>> + /* Use template with original enter function. */ >>>> + return data->template->e.funcs->enter(&data->template->e); >>>> +} >>> >>> At the example of this (applies to other uses as well): I realize >>> hypfs_get_dyndata() asserts that the pointer is non-NULL, but >>> according to the bottom of ./CODING_STYLE this may not be enough >>> when considering the implications of a NULL deref in the context >>> of a PV guest. Even this living behind a sysctl doesn't really >>> help, both because via XSM not fully privileged domains can be >>> granted access, and because speculation may still occur all the >>> way into here. (I'll send a patch to address the latter aspect in >>> a few minutes.) While likely we have numerous existing examples >>> with similar problems, I guess in new code we'd better be as >>> defensive as possible. >> >> What do you suggest? BUG_ON()? > > Well, BUG_ON() would be a step in the right direction, converting > privilege escalation to DoS. The question is if we can't do better > here, gracefully failing in such a case (the usual pair of > ASSERT_UNREACHABLE() plus return/break/goto approach doesn't fit > here, at least not directly). > >> You are aware that this is nothing a user can influence, so it would >> be a clear coding error in the hypervisor? > > A user (or guest) can't arrange for there to be a NULL pointer, > but if there is one that can be run into here, this would still > require an XSA afaict. I still don't see how this could happen without a major coding bug, which IMO wouldn't go unnoticed during a really brief test (this is the reason for ASSERT() in hypfs_get_dyndata() after all). Its not as if the control flow would allow many different ways to reach any of the hypfs_get_dyndata() calls. I can add security checks at the appropriate places, but I think this would be just dead code. OTOH if you are feeling strong here lets go with it. Juergen