meta-freescale.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
From: "Peter Bergin" <peter@berginkonsult.se>
To: Brian Hutchinson <b.hutchman@gmail.com>,
	meta-freescale@lists.yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] Hardknott build for imx8mm-evk failed
Date: Thu, 6 May 2021 21:30:14 +0200	[thread overview]

Hi Brian,

On 2021-05-06 14:41, Brian Hutchinson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Yesterday I checked out Hardknott (creating layers manually due to
> repo sync issues) and tried to build core-image-base for my imx8mm-evk.
>
> First I noticed that there wasn't a machine config for imx8mmevk (as
> there was for Dunfell, Gatesgarth etc.), but there was a config for
> imx8mm-ddr4-evk so I used that in my setup:

There are two configs for imx8mm EVKs, one for ddr4 and one for lpddr4.
Check your board so you get the correct one. 8MMINILPD4 = lpddr4 and
8MMINID4 = ddr4. I have a imx8mm_lpddr4_evk in my project ad have been
able to build hardknott without issues.

> EULA=1 DISTRO=poky MACHINE=imx8mm-ddr4-evk source setup-environment build
>
> I need the 5.10 kernel, but did not see the trick Andrey showed me to
> change:
> #IMX_DEFAULT_BSP = "nxp"
> IMX_DEFAULT_BSP = "mainline"
>
> ... in machine .conf to switch to linux-fslc, so I just put this in my
> local.conf:
>
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-fslc"
> PREFERRED_VERSION_linux-fslc = "5.10%"

This is not needed in hardknott as imx8mm-*-evk machines are using
mainline and linux-fslc by default.

> Any advice on what to do or try next is greatly appreciated.

The error you see below is because the u-boot configuration
imx8mm_ddr4_evk is not present in u-boot-fslc. There is only imx8mm_evk
config that is intended for lpddr4 variant. This is an error in the
configuration in Yocto but I'm a bit unsure the way forward.

One thing you can try is to use u-boot-imx instead by adding:

     PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader = "u-boot-imx"

This will build the u-boot-imx (NXP's fork) where imx8mm_ddr4_evk config
is present. I can not guarantee the u-boot-imx and linux-fslc works
together but give it a try.

The I suggest that you open an issue in
https://github.com/Freescale/meta-freescale/issues about the faulty
configuration for imx8-ddr4-evk.