On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM Brian Hutchinson via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote: > > > On Wed, Oct 7, 2020 at 5:49 AM Andrey Zhizhikin > wrote: > >> Hello Brian, >> >> >> Well, this is I guess an expected behavior. firmware packages are >> listed in MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS, which is (according to Yocto >> Reference manual, link >> >> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/ref-manual/ref-manual.html#var-MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS >> ) >> is only considered when packagegroup-base is installed in the image >> and does not affect 'core-image-minimal' or 'core-image-full-cmdline' >> images. >> >> That is the reason that even if the package is added in the >> imx-base.inc (like Otavio suggested in his patch) - you would not >> receive it in core-image-minimal and you would have to install it >> explicitly. >> >> As for firmware packages themselves, I guess it should be changed from >> MACHINE_EXTRA_RRECOMMENDS to MACHINE_EXTRA_RDEPENDS in order to bail >> out at the build time rather than figure out that they are not present >> on the device at boot time. But this is yet a separate point, which >> actually would not solve your original issue as you either need an >> image recipe which includes packagegroup-base or you have to >> explicitly list them in IMAGE_INSTALL. >> >> > I see there is a firmware-imx-8m package so maybe I should add it. >> >> This package is actually empty, and only serves as a deploy target to >> provide Cadence HDMI FW for imx-boot to build a boot container. Even >> if you try to install it - you would not receive any FW files on the >> target. >> >> >> > Hate to bring up an old thread again but I'm back to trying to pair down > my image size and trying to use core-image-minimal and having issues with > firmware-imx-sdma-imx7d & sdma-imx7d.bin > > If I just build imx-sdma as a kernel module do I even need to worry about > sdma-imx7d.bin being in the rootfs? > > Anyone? Anyone? [image: anyone-anyone.jpg]