meta-freescale.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
From: "Otavio Salvador" <otavio.salvador@ossystems.com.br>
To: Alistair Francis <alistair23@gmail.com>
Cc: meta-freescale@lists.yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [meta-freescale] Linux on an E-Ink Tablet
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2021 09:48:50 -0300	[thread overview]

Hello Alistair,

Em sex., 5 de fev. de 2021 às 02:21, Alistair Francis <alistair23@gmail.com>
escreveu:

> I have been working on updating the Linux kernel of the reMarkable 2,
> which is an E-Ink tablet using the i.MX7D.
>
> It ships with an outdated version of
> https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/tree/4.14-1.0.x-imx with around
> 300 patches on top, the source is here:
> https://github.com/reMarkable/linux/tree/zero-sugar.
>
> I have ported those 300 patches on top of
> https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/tree/5.4-2.2.x-imx and have it
> mostly working. I'm just struggling with the brcmfmac WiFi.
>
> I'm now starting to look at what next though.
>
> I don't see a 5.10*-imx branch, just a 5.10.x+fslc. Does anyone know if
> there is a plan for a 5.10*-imx branch?

It will be created when NXP does a GA release on top of this. The -imx
branch is based on their fork and on top of it we do the needed fixes and
merge stable updates as well.

Also the E-Ink display is driven by the video/fbdev/mxsfb.c  driver, which
> has been removed in mainline (
> https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/f225f1393f034e17281274180626086276da766c),
> I was wondering if anyone knows how to swap drivers without changing the
> user space software (which is closed source).
>
> I'm also working on trying to upstream some of the work. It seems like
> there is a lot in the *-imx branches that isn't upstream. Is that something
> that is still going on?

All things which are clean could be sent upstream. It'd be of great help as
it'd reduce the maintenance work.

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750