meta-virtualization.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* Docker Compose issue regarding the deprecation of Python3 distutils on Kirkstone
       [not found] <BF86DE9A-16AF-4423-95B0-3FFF3ED5A9CD@ieee.org>
@ 2022-07-27  7:24 ` Ibrahim Erturk
From: Ibrahim Erturk @ 2022-07-27  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-virtualization

Hello,

I added the following line into local.conf to get the packages docker and docker-compose on Rapberry Pi (meta-raspberrypi) with the branch kirkstone.

# Virtualization
DISTRO_FEATURES:append = " virtualization"
IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " docker-ce"
IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-docker-compose”
# IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-distutils"

However, due to python3-distutils deprecated as of Python3.10, I got the following error.

raspberrypi3:~$ docker-compose
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/bin/docker-compose", line 5, in <module>
   from compose.cli.main import main
 File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 9, in <module>
   from distutils.spawn import find_executable
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘distutils’

Is there any workaround regarding this issue or am I missing some configuration?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Ibrahim ERTURK

* Re: [meta-virtualization] Docker Compose issue regarding the deprecation of Python3 distutils on Kirkstone
@ 2022-07-27 18:19   ` Bruce Ashfield
From: Bruce Ashfield @ 2022-07-27 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ierturk; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:24 AM Ibrahim Erturk via
lists.yoctoproject.org <ierturk=ieee.org@lists.yoctoproject.org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I added the following line into local.conf to get the packages docker and docker-compose on Rapberry Pi (meta-raspberrypi) with the branch kirkstone.
>
> # Virtualization
> DISTRO_FEATURES:append = " virtualization"
> IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " docker-ce"
> IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-docker-compose”
> # IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-distutils"
>
> However, due to python3-distutils deprecated as of Python3.10, I got the following error.
>
> raspberrypi3:~$ docker-compose
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/bin/docker-compose", line 5, in <module>
>    from compose.cli.main import main
>  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 9, in <module>
>    from distutils.spawn import find_executable
> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘distutils’
>
> Is there any workaround regarding this issue or am I missing some configuration?

I'm not sure I'm following.

docker-compose has been on the same version for quite some time (mid
2021) on pypi (the source repo does have newer versions, so we could
consider switching to source vs pypi).

and yes, that version is still using distutils. So either you need to
install the depreciated module, or do an uprev to a newer version
using the github repo.

Bruce

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Ibrahim ERTURK

- Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
thee at its end
- "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

* Re: [meta-virtualization] Docker Compose issue regarding the deprecation of Python3 distutils on Kirkstone
@ 2022-07-27 21:34     ` Ibrahim Erturk
From: Ibrahim Erturk @ 2022-07-27 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce Ashfield; +Cc: meta-virtualization

On 27 Jul 2022, at 21:19, Bruce Ashfield <bruce.ashfield@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2022 at 3:24 AM Ibrahim Erturk via
> lists.yoctoproject.org <http://lists.yoctoproject.org/> <ierturk=ieee.org@lists.yoctoproject.org <mailto:ierturk=ieee.org@lists.yoctoproject.org>>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I added the following line into local.conf to get the packages docker and docker-compose on Rapberry Pi (meta-raspberrypi) with the branch kirkstone.
>>
>> # Virtualization
>> DISTRO_FEATURES:append = " virtualization"
>> IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " docker-ce"
>> IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-docker-compose”
>> # IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-distutils"
>>
>> However, due to python3-distutils deprecated as of Python3.10, I got the following error.
>>
>> raspberrypi3:~$ docker-compose
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>> File "/usr/bin/docker-compose", line 5, in <module>
>>   from compose.cli.main import main
>> File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/compose/cli/main.py", line 9, in <module>
>>   from distutils.spawn import find_executable
>> ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘distutils’
>>
>> Is there any workaround regarding this issue or am I missing some configuration?
>
> I'm not sure I'm following.
>
> docker-compose has been on the same version for quite some time (mid
> 2021) on pypi (the source repo does have newer versions, so we could
> consider switching to source vs pypi).
>
> and yes, that version is still using distutils. So either you need to
> install the depreciated module, or do an uprev to a newer version
> using the github repo.
>
> Bruce
>

>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ibrahim ERTURK

> - Thou shalt not follow the NULL pointer, for chaos and madness await
> thee at its end
> - "Use the force Harry" - Gandalf, Star Trek II

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the reply. I explicitly added the deprecated python package python3-distutils as follow, and it seem that compose works properly

IMAGE_INSTALL:append = " python3-distutils"

Ibrahim

* Re: [meta-virtualization] Docker Compose issue regarding the deprecation of Python3 distutils on Kirkstone
@ 2022-07-27 21:42       ` Tim Orling
From: Tim Orling @ 2022-07-27 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ierturk; +Cc: Bruce Ashfield, meta-virtualization