toaster.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* The machine of the added layer does not come out.
@ 2017-11-15  7:16 tykwon
From: tykwon @ 2017-11-15  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster

I am yocto newbie.

I am using poky-rocko-18.0.0.

I have a problem with the "imoport layer" as a toaster.

I added meta-odroid(https://github.com/akuster/meta-odroid) as a toaster.

I added meta-odroid as a toaster, but there is no machine entry.

However, there are a total of 6 machiies added to my
layer(meta-odroid)(https://github.com/akuster/meta-odroid/tree/master/conf/m
achine).

How do I get the meta-odroid machine I added as an "import layer" to work
properly?

Is there anything wrong with my setup?

The figure below shows the current settings of my import layer.

https://i.imgur.com/G2GkCbX.png

I'm sorry I do not have enough English. :)

Best regards.

kwon

* Re: The machine of the added layer does not come out.
@ 2017-11-15 23:51 ` Reyna, David
From: Reyna, David @ 2017-11-15 23:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tykwon; +Cc: toaster

Hi Kwon,

1. When you import a layer, there is no meta information to fill in the layer features, in contrast to the normal layers that are loaded from the OE Layer Index. For this layer, I observe that while there is a "master" branch for "meta-odroid", Alas, Phillipe has not yet created a "rocko" branch in the OE Layer Index for his layer.

2. If you click on the Machine tab in this imported layer, you will see the message "Toaster does not have machine information for the meta-odroid layer. Sadly, machine information cannot be obtained from builds, so this page will remain empty."

In this case you would set the Machine type directly entering the known values from the layer.

3. If you click on the Recipe tab in this imported layer, you will see the message "Toaster does not have recipe information for the meta-odroid layer. Toaster learns about layers when you build them. If this layer provides any recipes, they will be listed here after you build the meta-odroid layer."
In this case you would enter the recipe name directly and build it, entering the known values from the layer. Once you build that recipe, it will then appear in the Recipe tab for the imported layer.

I tested this by setting the Machine to "odroid-c2" and building the "atf-native" recipe, and indeed "atf-native" did appear as a recipe under the custom layer. I also tried the recipe "odroid-c2-init " but bitbake did not like it, so there is something different with this recipe.

4. In general, when you import a layer Toaster assumes you know the content and that you will enter the appropriate values (as you would on the command line). I can consider an enhancement request to attempt to discover the machines, recipes, image recipes, and classes from an imported layer, but I expect that this will be a non-trivial effort.

- David

@ 2017-11-16  8:13   ` tykwon
From: tykwon @ 2017-11-16  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Reyna, David'; +Cc: toaster

Hi david,

I put the data directly into the machine item and the recipe item as you
said.

I confirmed that it works when I input the items directly.(machin, recipe)

It has helped a lot.

Thank you.

@ 2018-11-17 21:37 ` Reyna, David
From: Reyna, David @ 2018-11-17 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Manuel Dipolt, toaster

Hi Manuel,

> after adding layer no machine or recipe did show up under compatible layers -> meta-testlayer:

I have also not liked that limitation about imported layers. For the new Toaster with YP-2.6 (Thud), I have gone ahead and enhanced the layer import feature to at least pre-emptively scan the layer for recipes so that they are immediately visible. That should help address your question.

FYI, this code looks for obvious recipes, but does not yet do a deep parse into all the clever ways people can define recipes. For this reason the metadata from the bitbake build events is still the official answer.

> Is it possible somehow to force toaster to scan all layers again?

Toaster either gets its data from the official Layer Index for the layers that are pre-registered, or dynamically from bitbake events when an unknown layer is built. So, there is nothing new to rescan unless I start adding more heuristics to Toaster layer parser outside of the Layer Index or bitbake.

For “machines”, the root problem is that layers do not provide a way to register. That is why they do not appear in the Layer Index, and that is why I did not attempt to pre-emptively scan them.

So:

(a) If you are not seeing an imported layer’s machine options even after the layer is built, then that is a definite bug, and you should file a bug report and you should file a bug report. A reproducer would be very helpful.

(b) If you are not seeing an imported layer’s recipes, then that is a bug or a current limitation, so you should file a bug report . A reproducer would again be very helpful.

(c) As for enhancing Toaster to see a new layer’s machines as soon as you import it, I can investigate ways to heuristically extract machine information from layers. If you have suggestions on how to robustly do this, I will happily accept!

- David

From: Manuel Dipolt @ 2018-11-16 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: toaster