yocto.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
* LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-14 23:55 Tom Isaacson
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Tom Isaacson @ 2023-05-14 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I was just looking up the Yocto LTS and I found
https://endoflife.date/yocto. It says:
3.1 'Dunfell' (LTS) Ends in 10 months (01 Apr 2024)
4.0 'Kirkstone' (LTS) Ends in 11 months (27 Apr 2024)

Are these dates correct? If so, what's the point of the later LTS
going EOL the same month as the previous one? There's not much point
in upgrading.

Is a new LTS planned?

Thanks.

Tom Isaacson

* Re: [yocto] LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-15  0:00 ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2023-05-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Isaacson; +Cc: yocto

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 4:55 PM Tom Isaacson <tom.isaacson@teknique.com> wrote:

> I was just looking up the Yocto LTS and I found
> https://endoflife.date/yocto. It says:
> 3.1 'Dunfell' (LTS) Ends in 10 months (01 Apr 2024)
> 4.0 'Kirkstone' (LTS) Ends in 11 months (27 Apr 2024)
>
> Are these dates correct? If so, what's the point of the later LTS
> going EOL the same month as the previous one? There's not much point
> in upgrading.

these dates are correct. Current LTS releases are for a period of 2
years, dunfell was extended
for another 2 years and became 4 years extended LTS, Kirkstone might
be extended for another 2 years too if the membership
decides to do so.

> Is a new LTS planned?

the next LTS is coming in April 2024. The duration for new LTS will be
2 years or 4 perhaps
but this will be decided by membership hopefully soon.

> Thanks.
>
> Tom Isaacson

* Re: [yocto] LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-15  0:58   ` Tom Isaacson
From: Tom Isaacson @ 2023-05-15  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khem Raj; +Cc: yocto

The next LTS is being released the same month that the current LTSs go
EOL? That seems a bit last minute. Or will the decision to extend
Kirkstone be made earlier?

On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 12:01 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 4:55 PM Tom Isaacson <tom.isaacson@teknique.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was just looking up the Yocto LTS and I found
> > https://endoflife.date/yocto. It says:
> > 3.1 'Dunfell' (LTS) Ends in 10 months (01 Apr 2024)
> > 4.0 'Kirkstone' (LTS) Ends in 11 months (27 Apr 2024)
> >
> > Are these dates correct? If so, what's the point of the later LTS
> > going EOL the same month as the previous one? There's not much point
> > in upgrading.
>
> these dates are correct. Current LTS releases are for a period of 2
> years, dunfell was extended
> for another 2 years and became 4 years extended LTS, Kirkstone might
> be extended for another 2 years too if the membership
> decides to do so.
>

> > Is a new LTS planned?
>
> the next LTS is coming in April 2024. The duration for new LTS will be
> 2 years or 4 perhaps
> but this will be decided by membership hopefully soon.
>

> > Thanks.
> >
> > Tom Isaacson

Tom Isaacson

* Re: [yocto] LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-15  1:45     ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2023-05-15  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Isaacson; +Cc: yocto

On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 5:58 PM Tom Isaacson <tom.isaacson@teknique.com>
wrote:

> The next LTS is being released the same month that the current LTSs go
> EOL? That seems a bit last minute. Or will the decision to extend
> Kirkstone be made earlier?

It should be happening earlier definitely

> On Mon, May 15, 2023 at 12:01 PM Khem Raj <raj.khem@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, May 14, 2023 at 4:55 PM Tom Isaacson <tom.isaacson@teknique.com>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was just looking up the Yocto LTS and I found
> > > https://endoflife.date/yocto. It says:
> > > 3.1 'Dunfell' (LTS) Ends in 10 months (01 Apr 2024)
> > > 4.0 'Kirkstone' (LTS) Ends in 11 months (27 Apr 2024)
> > >
> > > Are these dates correct? If so, what's the point of the later LTS
> > > going EOL the same month as the previous one? There's not much point
> > > in upgrading.
> >
> > these dates are correct. Current LTS releases are for a period of 2
> > years, dunfell was extended
> > for another 2 years and became 4 years extended LTS, Kirkstone might
> > be extended for another 2 years too if the membership
> > decides to do so.
> >

> > > Is a new LTS planned?
> >
> > the next LTS is coming in April 2024. The duration for new LTS will be
> > 2 years or 4 perhaps
> > but this will be decided by membership hopefully soon.
> >

> > > Thanks.
> > >
> > > Tom Isaacson

> raj.khem@gmail.com]
> > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
> > >

> --
> Tom Isaacson

* Re: [yocto] LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-15  8:07 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2023-05-15  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tom.isaacson; +Cc: yocto

> On 15 May 2023, at 00:55, Tom Isaacson via lists.yoctoproject.org <tom.isaacson=teknique.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
>
> I was just looking up the Yocto LTS and I found
> https://endoflife.date/yocto. It says:
> 3.1 'Dunfell' (LTS) Ends in 10 months (01 Apr 2024)
> 4.0 'Kirkstone' (LTS) Ends in 11 months (27 Apr 2024)

FWIW, eol.date is - ironically - out of date.

wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/Releases is the canonical release timetable.

Ross

* Re: [yocto] LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-15  8:44 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2023-05-15  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Isaacson; +Cc: yocto

Regardless of the current situation with EOL dates, the point of
upgrading is not that, but one's ability to fulfil current and future
business requirements and keep products secure. This is always easier
with a more recent stack for the target and tooling on the build host.

Alex

On Mon, 15 May 2023 at 01:55, Tom Isaacson <tom.isaacson@teknique.com> wrote:

> I was just looking up the Yocto LTS and I found
> https://endoflife.date/yocto. It says:
> 3.1 'Dunfell' (LTS) Ends in 10 months (01 Apr 2024)
> 4.0 'Kirkstone' (LTS) Ends in 11 months (27 Apr 2024)
>
> Are these dates correct? If so, what's the point of the later LTS
> going EOL the same month as the previous one? There's not much point
> in upgrading.
>
> Is a new LTS planned?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom Isaacson

* Re: LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-30  8:59   ` Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2023-05-30  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Thanks for pointing this, I've filed a PR to fix this [here](https://github.com/endoflife-date/endoflife.date/pull/3044).

A preview is available at https://deploy-preview-3044--endoflife-date.netlify.app/yocto.
Would appreciate a review from folks on this list.

Planning to setup our automation against https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/refs/ so we can notice new release much faster.

-
Nemo (on behalf of the endoflife.date project).

* Re: [yocto] LTS EOLs
@ 2023-05-30 12:14     ` Michael Opdenacker
From: Michael Opdenacker @ 2023-05-30 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nemo; +Cc: yocto

Hi Captain,

On 30.05.23 at 10:59, Nemo wrote:

> Thanks for pointing this, I've filed a PR to fix this here
> <https://github.com/endoflife-date/endoflife.date/pull/3044>.
>
> A preview is available at
> https://deploy-preview-3044--endoflife-date.netlify.app/yocto. Would
> appreciate a review from folks on this list.

Thanks for this update! Note that

  * You're missing the recent 4.0.10 release
    (https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/log/?h=kirkstone).
  * The 3.3 release was supported longer, until Apr. 20, 2022
    (https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/log/?h=hardknott)

Shall I send a patch?

> Planning to setup our automation against
> https://git.yoctoproject.org/yocto-docs/refs/ so we can notice new
> release much faster.

Good idea!
Thanks again