yocto.lists.yoctoproject.org archive mirror
From: Richard Purdie <richard.purdie@linuxfoundation.org>
To: "Weihmann, Konrad (Avnet Embedded)" <Konrad.Weihmann@avnet.eu>,
	 "yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org" <yocto@lists.yoctoproject.org>
Subject: Re: [yocto] Register out-of-tree fetcher with devtool
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 13:51:38 +0100	[thread overview]

On Fri, 2023-06-02 at 04:47 +0000, Weihmann, Konrad (Avnet Embedded)
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> we do have an out-of-tree fetcher that I would like to make use of
> with devtool, for instance for upgrade checking.
> Within our recipes the fetcher is registered by this workaround
>
> python () {
>     import foo
>     bb.fetch2.methods.append(foo.FooFetcher())
> }
>
> Which isn’t the nicest possible solution still does the trick.
>
> But that doesn’t work for devtool, as it seems to not take any but
> oe-core lib-paths into consideration.
>
> For devtool check-upgrade-status <recipe with above code snippet>
>
> I get something like “no handler for foo://… found”.
>
> Is there any way to register this out-of-tree fetcher module so
> tinfoil/devtool can “see” them?

Currently, no, there isn't a good API for doing this. It is something
I've wondered how to fix for a while.

The addpylib directive we recently added does go some way to allowing
layers to pragmatically add python modules. There might be options to
buildup upon that extend the fetcher from there?

Cheers,

Richard