I have defined LINUX_VERSION_EXTENSION in my kernel recipe. I have no CONFIG_LOCALVERSION or CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO defined in my *defconfig* After i run bitbake -c kernel_configme I can see in my *.config* file: CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="" # CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO is not set and at the very end: CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="" So far so good. Then I execute bitbake -c configure and the . *config* file is changed. Now there is: CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="" CONFIG_LOCALVERSION_AUTO=y and there is no trace of CONFIG_LOCALVERSION="" Yocto: dunfell Kernel 5.4.70