* [cip-dev] Reviewing 4.4 stable updates
@ 2018-04-25 13:18 Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-04-25 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

I intended to bounce the review messages for 4.4.128 to this list so
everyone could see them, but this seems to be blocked by some mail
filter.

Instead I've saved them to an mbox file which is available from:
http://download.cip-project.org/cip-kernel/stable-4.4.128-review.mbox
This can be imported into:

- Apple Mail: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22318?locale=en_US
- Evolution: https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/import-single-files.html.en
- Thunderbird: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_FAQs_:_Migration#Manually_importing_and_exporting

For GMail and Outlook there are third party products but no built-in
support for mbox file formats.

However, the review for 4.4.129 has now started so if all reviewers
have subscribed to stable at vger.kernel.org then we can start with that
instead.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Software Developer, Codethink Ltd.

* [cip-dev] Reviewing 4.4 stable updates
@ 2018-04-25 23:52 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-04-25 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Ben,

We received a message from Greg on the cip-dev list saying:

***
Anything received after that time might be too late.

The whole patch series can be found in one patch at:
	https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/stable-review/patch-4.4.128-rc1.gz
or in the git tree and branch at:
	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable-rc.git linux-4.4.y
and the diffstat can be found below.
***

Fri Apr 13 is in the past but better late than never I guess!.

> Instead I've saved them to an mbox file which is available from:
> http://download.cip-project.org/cip-kernel/stable-4.4.128-review.mbox

Just for those who don't know, you can open it with a text editor.
Or you can just use linux-stable-rc.git for testing the patches.

> However, the review for 4.4.129 has now started so if all reviewers
> have subscribed to stable at vger.kernel.org then we can start with that
> instead.

I saw there is already a 4.4.129 on the linux-stable-rc.git linux-4.4.y.
Test results so far show no regressions (altough i see failures that might need investigation?):
Pixel: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/22/732
Linaro: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/23/116
Kerneltests: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/23/823
dmseg: https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/23/1028

I will run some tests with Fuego.

Thanks,
Daniel

@ 2018-04-26 14:30   ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-04-26 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Thu, 2018-04-26 at 08:52 +0900, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> Hi Ben,

Oh, that's strange.  Agustin and I each tried sending it and neither of
us saw it come back from the list.

[...]
> > Instead I've saved them to an mbox file which is available from:
> > http://download.cip-project.org/cip-kernel/stable-4.4.128-review.mbox
>
> Just for those who don't know, you can open it with a text editor.?
> Or you can just use linux-stable-rc.git for testing the patches.
>
> > However, the review for 4.4.129 has now started so if all reviewers
> > instead.
>
> I saw there is already a 4.4.129 on the linux-stable-rc.git linux-4.4.y.
> Test results so far show no regressions (altough i see failures that might need investigation?):
[...]

Yes, 4.4.129 is released and there will be a 4.4.130 review some time
soon.  But it's never too late to review, and we just need to agree one
set of patches that we can review together.

Ben.

--

@ 2018-05-15  4:06   ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-05-15  4:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Sorry for the late response. I tested LTS 4.4.129 with Fuego and most tests worked correctly.
There were a few errors on some of the LTP tests (see the file attached).

fcntl35.c:98: FAIL: an unprivileged user init the capacity of a pipe to 65536 unexpectedly, expected 4096
getxattr04.c:72: FAIL: getxattr() failed to get an existing attribute
inotify07.c:157: FAIL: didn't get event: mask=40000004
inotify08.c:150: FAIL: didn't get event: mask=4
[Note] These 4 errors could be related with some configuration, so I need to investigate them further.

For fanotify07 and fanotify08 I got some timeout errors:
tst_test.c:1015: INFO: Timeout per run is 0h 05m 00s
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Test timeouted, sending SIGKILL!
Cannot kill test processes!
Congratulation, likely test hit a kernel bug.
Exitting uncleanly...

Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram mentioned that this bug was fixed in kernel 4.14, and Tim Bird updated the Fuego LTP documentation suggesting that backporting the patch "fanotify: Release SRCU lock when waiting for userspace response" should fix the hang.
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9659809/

Shall I backport it and test?

Thanks,
Daniel
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-05-15  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

It seems that backporting "fanotify: Release SRCU lock when waiting for userspace response" was too complicated:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/06/msg00170.html

@ 2018-05-15  7:44       ` Agustín Benito Bethencourt
From: Agustín Benito Bethencourt @ 2018-05-15  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Daniel,

On Tuesday, 15 May 2018 08:44:19 CEST Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> It seems that backporting "fanotify: Release SRCU lock when waiting for
> userspace response" was too complicated:
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2017/06/msg00170.html

It would be of a great help.

Can you send these reports to cip-testing-results ?

Best Regards

--
Agust?n Benito Bethencourt
Principal Consultant

* [cip-dev] Reviewing 4.4 stable updates
@ 2018-05-15  7:53         ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2018-05-15  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Daniel,

>>> Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram mentioned that this bug was fixed in kernel 4.14,
>>> and Tim Bird updated the Fuego LTP documentation suggesting that
>>> backporting the patch "fanotify: Release SRCU lock when waiting for
>>> userspace response" should fix the hang.
>>> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9659809/
>>>
>>> Shall I backport it and test?
>
> It would be of a great help.
>
> Can you send these reports to cip-testing-results ?

Just out of curiosity, do you also test the cip-rt kernel with fuego? I
got a report that a x86 box has problems to boot with the recent cip-rt
kernel. In the early device bring up a NULL pointer is dereferenced
(late_resume_init). So far I was not able to reproduce it on my machine.

Hence if you test the cip-rt kernel I would be interested to get
feedback as well :)

Thanks,
Daniel

* [cip-dev] Reviewing 4.4 stable updates
@ 2018-05-17  1:44           ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-05-17  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > It would be of a great help.
> >
> > Can you send these reports to cip-testing-results ?
>
> Just out of curiosity, do you also test the cip-rt kernel with fuego? I
> got a report that a x86 box has problems to boot with the recent cip-rt
> kernel. In the early device bring up a NULL pointer is dereferenced
> (late_resume_init). So far I was not able to reproduce it on my machine.
>
> Hence if you test the cip-rt kernel I would be interested to get
> feedback as well :)

I do test the cip-rt kernel sometimes, but not in an automated way yet (in the end automation requires maintenance and that takes time). With the latest version I didn't have boot problems on x86_64, but I haven't tried on other architectures. I run cyclictest with some load background and got a maximum latency of 125us (only run it for 10 minutes).

Thanks,
Daniel Sangorrin

* [cip-dev] Reviewing 4.4 stable updates
@ 2018-05-17  5:35             ` Daniel Wagner
From: Daniel Wagner @ 2018-05-17  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Daniel,

>> Just out of curiosity, do you also test the cip-rt kernel with fuego? I
>> got a report that a x86 box has problems to boot with the recent cip-rt
>> kernel. In the early device bring up a NULL pointer is dereferenced
>> (late_resume_init). So far I was not able to reproduce it on my machine.
>>
>> Hence if you test the cip-rt kernel I would be interested to get
>> feedback as well :)
>
> I do test the cip-rt kernel sometimes, but not in an automated way yet (in the end automation requires maintenance and that takes time). With the latest version I didn't have boot problems on x86_64, but I haven't tried on other architectures. I run cyclictest with some load background and got a maximum latency of 125us (only run it for 10 minutes).

Thanks for the feedback. After some more debugging, it looks like the
boot problem is cased by kexec on the test machine. IOW, the test kernel
seems just fine.

Thanks,
Daniel