* Using USB Mass Storage on AM335X
@ 2020-10-29 22:19 Otavio Salvador
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-10-29 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi,

I am working on porting mainline U-Boot to a custom AM335X board that
only has eMMC as the boot medium.

I can load U-Boot via serial boot and flash MLO and u-boot.img into
the eMMC using DFU. Then the board boots successfully via eMMC.

Now I want to run the "ums" command to be able to mount the eMMC on
the host. The problem I am getting is that when I select
CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y the board no longer boots.

Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
the board to not boot anymore?

Thanks for your help

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750

* Using USB Mass Storage on AM335X
@ 2020-10-29 22:46 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2020-10-29 22:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 07:19:47PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on porting mainline U-Boot to a custom AM335X board that
> only has eMMC as the boot medium.
>
> I can load U-Boot via serial boot and flash MLO and u-boot.img into
> the eMMC using DFU. Then the board boots successfully via eMMC.
>
> Now I want to run the "ums" command to be able to mount the eMMC on
> the host. The problem I am getting is that when I select
> CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y the board no longer boots.
>
> Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
> the board to not boot anymore?

Have you otherwise confirmed that you have gadget support configured /
enabled correctly on the board?  The first thing that comes to mind with
that type of problem is clock/pinmux being wrong.

--
Tom
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2020 at 07:19:47PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> > Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
> > the board to not boot anymore?
>
> Have you otherwise confirmed that you have gadget support configured /
> enabled correctly on the board?  The first thing that comes to mind with
> that type of problem is clock/pinmux being wrong.

I think so as the DFU works just fine. Anything specific I could look for?

@ 2020-10-30  6:06 ` Heiko Schocher
From: Heiko Schocher @ 2020-10-30  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Otavio,

Am 29.10.2020 um 23:19 schrieb Otavio Salvador:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on porting mainline U-Boot to a custom AM335X board that
> only has eMMC as the boot medium.
>
> I can load U-Boot via serial boot and flash MLO and u-boot.img into
> the eMMC using DFU. Then the board boots successfully via eMMC.
>
> Now I want to run the "ums" command to be able to mount the eMMC on
> the host. The problem I am getting is that when I select
> CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y the board no longer boots.
>
> Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
> the board to not boot anymore?

Not really ... I cannot see, which impact activating this command
has with not booting ...

May some problem with image size? Early malloc space, some addresses
which now overlap?

You see absolutly no U-Boot output on serial? Do you have enabled
early debug uart (if it is possible for am335x .. I can;t remember)

If so, you need a debugger, as it fails very early ...

So, you see .. no real idea ... I am sorry.

bye,
Heiko
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de

* Using USB Mass Storage on AM335X
@ 2020-10-30  6:11   ` Lokesh Vutla
From: Lokesh Vutla @ 2020-10-30  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

+ Pratyush

On 30/10/20 11:36 am, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello Otavio,
>
> Am 29.10.2020 um 23:19 schrieb Otavio Salvador:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on porting mainline U-Boot to a custom AM335X board that
>> only has eMMC as the boot medium.
>>
>> I can load U-Boot via serial boot and flash MLO and u-boot.img into
>> the eMMC using DFU. Then the board boots successfully via eMMC.
>>
>> Now I want to run the "ums" command to be able to mount the eMMC on
>> the host. The problem I am getting is that when I select
>> CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y the board no longer boots.
>>
>> Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
>> the board to not boot anymore?
>
> Not really ... I cannot see, which impact activating this command
> has with not booting ...
>
> May some problem with image size? Early malloc space, some addresses
> which now overlap?

Good point. Just to avoid this scenario, can you make sure UMS is enabled only
in U-Boot and not in SPL? or you can try with old MLO with new U-Boot :).

As Heiko already asked, can you provide more details in the failing scenario?

Thanks and regards,
Lokesh

* Using USB Mass Storage on AM335X
@ 2020-10-30  8:33     ` Lukasz Majewski
From: Lukasz Majewski @ 2020-10-30  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hi Lokesh, Otavio,

> + Pratyush
>
> On 30/10/20 11:36 am, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> > Hello Otavio,
> >
> > Am 29.10.2020 um 23:19 schrieb Otavio Salvador:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I am working on porting mainline U-Boot to a custom AM335X board
> >> that only has eMMC as the boot medium.
> >>
> >> I can load U-Boot via serial boot and flash MLO and u-boot.img into
> >> the eMMC using DFU. Then the board boots successfully via eMMC.
> >>
> >> Now I want to run the "ums" command to be able to mount the eMMC on
> >> the host. The problem I am getting is that when I select
> >> CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y the board no longer boots.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
> >> the board to not boot anymore?
> >
> > Not really ... I cannot see, which impact activating this command
> > has with not booting ...
> >
> > May some problem with image size? Early malloc space, some addresses
> > which now overlap?
>
> Good point. Just to avoid this scenario, can you make sure UMS is
> enabled only in U-Boot and not in SPL? or you can try with old MLO
> with new U-Boot :).

IIRC there were some attempts to port gadget infrastructure to SPL for
the TI SoCs. As pointed out above - it may happen that
CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE implicitly enables some other option in
Kconfig, which also enables some SPL initialization for gadgets.

The other option would be to check if the SPL malloc space is enough to
handle allocations for gargets (as pointed out above).

> As Heiko already asked, can you provide more details in the failing
> scenario?

And yes, JTAG debugger would help.

> Thanks and regards,
> Lokesh

Best regards,

Lukasz Majewski

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-59 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: lukma at denx.de
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2020-11-01  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello all,

Em qui., 29 de out. de 2020 ?s 19:19, Otavio Salvador
<otavio@ossystems.com.br> escreveu:
> Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
> the board to not boot anymore?

We found it; setting CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN=0x2000 it works :-)

@ 2020-11-02  7:05   ` Heiko Schocher
From: Heiko Schocher @ 2020-11-02  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hello Otavio,

Am 01.11.2020 um 02:12 schrieb Otavio Salvador:
> Hello all,
>
> Em qui., 29 de out. de 2020 ?s 19:19, Otavio Salvador
> <otavio@ossystems.com.br> escreveu:
>> Does anyone know why selecting CONFIG_CMD_USB_MASS_STORAGE=y causes
>> the board to not boot anymore?
>
> We found it; setting CONFIG_SYS_MALLOC_F_LEN=0x2000 it works :-)

Fine!

bye,
Heiko
Phone: +49-8142-66989-52   Fax: +49-8142-66989-80   Email: hs at denx.de