* OpenStack Swift functional tests on RGW
@ 2017-03-28 13:51 Rajath Shashidhara
From: Rajath Shashidhara @ 2017-03-28 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

I am getting started with contributing to Ceph. I sent my first pull
request a couple of weeks ago - https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13908
. In testing the feature, I realized that the ceph/swift repository is
outdated. I tweaked some relevant functional tests on the
openstack/swift repository to run on RadosGW.

I was thinking that may be I can port all the functional tests from
openstack/swift to work on RGW. This way we can test how well RGW
complies with the Swift REST API. I'd like to know if that would be a
useful contribution to ceph. Also, since ceph/stack has diverged from
openstack/swift (20 commits ahead and 4919 commits behind upstream -
openstack/swift as of today), what approach should I take to push these
tests ?

Thanks,

Rajath Shashidhara

* Re: OpenStack Swift functional tests on RGW
@ 2017-03-28 14:48 ` Casey Bodley
From: Casey Bodley @ 2017-03-28 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rajath Shashidhara, ceph-devel

On 03/28/2017 09:51 AM, Rajath Shashidhara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am getting started with contributing to Ceph. I sent my first pull
> request a couple of weeks ago - https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13908
> . In testing the feature, I realized that the ceph/swift repository is
> outdated. I tweaked some relevant functional tests on the
> openstack/swift repository to run on RadosGW.
>
> I was thinking that may be I can port all the functional tests from
> openstack/swift to work on RGW. This way we can test how well RGW
> complies with the Swift REST API. I'd like to know if that would be a
> useful contribution to ceph. Also, since ceph/stack has diverged from
> openstack/swift (20 commits ahead and 4919 commits behind upstream -
> openstack/swift as of today), what approach should I take to push these
> tests ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rajath Shashidhara

Hi Rajath,

Thanks for looking into this - I think it would be extremely valuable to
bring our swift tests up to date. Looking at our fork, it appears that
most of our changes fall into two categories: updating
dependencies/bootstrapping, and adding 'fails_on_rgw' tags to tests that
we know won't pass.

I'm hoping that the latest openstack/swift repo has the correct
dependencies, so we may not need to carry all of those patches forward.

Rebasing the commits that add our tags sounds tedious, but should be
pretty straightforward. For new upstream tests that don't pass against
rgw, maybe add a separate tag like 'new_fails_on_rgw' so that we can go
through and evaluate each of those once you finish.

Thanks,
Casey

* Re: OpenStack Swift functional tests on RGW
@ 2017-03-28 18:18   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2017-03-28 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Casey Bodley; +Cc: Rajath Shashidhara, ceph-devel

On Tue, 28 Mar 2017, Casey Bodley wrote:
> On 03/28/2017 09:51 AM, Rajath Shashidhara wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am getting started with contributing to Ceph. I sent my first pull
> > request a couple of weeks ago - https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/13908
> > . In testing the feature, I realized that the ceph/swift repository is
> > outdated. I tweaked some relevant functional tests on the
> > openstack/swift repository to run on RadosGW.
> >
> > I was thinking that may be I can port all the functional tests from
> > openstack/swift to work on RGW. This way we can test how well RGW
> > complies with the Swift REST API. I'd like to know if that would be a
> > useful contribution to ceph. Also, since ceph/stack has diverged from
> > openstack/swift (20 commits ahead and 4919 commits behind upstream -
> > openstack/swift as of today), what approach should I take to push these
> > tests ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rajath Shashidhara
> >
> > --
> Hi Rajath,
>
> Thanks for looking into this - I think it would be extremely valuable to bring
> our swift tests up to date. Looking at our fork, it appears that most of our
> changes fall into two categories: updating dependencies/bootstrapping, and
> adding 'fails_on_rgw' tags to tests that we know won't pass.
>
> I'm hoping that the latest openstack/swift repo has the correct dependencies,
> so we may not need to carry all of those patches forward.
>
> Rebasing the commits that add our tags sounds tedious, but should be pretty
> straightforward. For new upstream tests that don't pass against rgw, maybe add
> a separate tag like 'new_fails_on_rgw' so that we can go through and evaluate
> each of those once you finish.

See also:

	https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/6111

sage

* Re: OpenStack Swift functional tests on RGW
@ 2017-03-29  2:33     ` Tone Zhang
From: Tone Zhang @ 2017-03-29  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: Casey Bodley, Rajath Shashidhara, ceph-devel

Hi all,

I met the same issue when I ran OpenStack tempest API test with
radosgw in recent. It is great if we can update swift tests up to
date.

@Casey, are there special test cases in Ceph used to test Swift API?
Could you please share me more information?

Thanks a lot!

Br,
Tone

@ 2017-03-29 13:54       ` Casey Bodley
From: Casey Bodley @ 2017-03-29 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tone Zhang, Sage Weil; +Cc: Rajath Shashidhara, ceph-devel

On 03/28/2017 10:33 PM, Tone Zhang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I met the same issue when I ran OpenStack tempest API test with
> radosgw in recent. It is great if we can update swift tests up to
> date.
>
> @Casey, are there special test cases in Ceph used to test Swift API?
> Could you please share me more information?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Br,
> Tone
>
> On 29 March 2017 at 02:18, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:

>>> Hi Rajath,
>>>
>>> Thanks for looking into this - I think it would be extremely valuable to bring
>>> our swift tests up to date. Looking at our fork, it appears that most of our
>>> changes fall into two categories: updating dependencies/bootstrapping, and
>>> adding 'fails_on_rgw' tags to tests that we know won't pass.
>>>
>>> I'm hoping that the latest openstack/swift repo has the correct dependencies,
>>> so we may not need to carry all of those patches forward.
>>>
>>> Rebasing the commits that add our tags sounds tedious, but should be pretty
>>> straightforward. For new upstream tests that don't pass against rgw, maybe add
>>> a separate tag like 'new_fails_on_rgw' so that we can go through and evaluate
>>> each of those once you finish.
>> See also:
>>
>>          https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/6111
>>
>> sage
>> --

Hi Tone - it doesn't look like our fork has added any new test cases, no.