* Updating UBIFS rootfilesystem
@ 2012-02-08 12:44 Matthias Fuchs
From: Matthias Fuchs @ 2012-02-08 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

is there an elegant way to update an UBIFS rootfilesystem?

Let's say I have enough flash space for my actual rootfilesystem
(rootfs1) and a new version (rootfs2). So while running from rootfs1
I updated rootfs2 volume with a new rootfilesystem.

Now my idea was to use ubirename to exchange the volume names so that
after next reboot rootfs1 'points' to the new filesystem and rootfs2
contains the old one (ready for deletion or further updates).

As expected ubirename reports "Device or resource busy" probably because
it cannot rename mounted volumes. Of course I could tell my bootloader
to mount rootfs2 after a reboot. But isn't there a more elegant way?
ubirename really looks like the right way ....

Any ideas?

Matthias

* Re: Updating UBIFS rootfilesystem
@ 2012-02-13 13:57 ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-02-13 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Fuchs; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:44 +0100, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there an elegant way to update an UBIFS rootfilesystem?
>
> Let's say I have enough flash space for my actual rootfilesystem
> (rootfs1) and a new version (rootfs2). So while running from rootfs1
> I updated rootfs2 volume with a new rootfilesystem.

I you cannot update a mounted fs - you have to unmount it first. If you
are able to do this, you should be able to ubirename.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: Updating UBIFS rootfilesystem
@ 2012-02-24  8:14   ` Matthias Fuchs
From: Matthias Fuchs @ 2012-02-24  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dedekind1; +Cc: linux-mtd

On 02/13/2012 02:57 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:44 +0100, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there an elegant way to update an UBIFS rootfilesystem?
>>
>> Let's say I have enough flash space for my actual rootfilesystem
>> (rootfs1) and a new version (rootfs2). So while running from rootfs1
>> I updated rootfs2 volume with a new rootfilesystem.
>
> I you cannot update a mounted fs - you have to unmount it first. If you
> are able to do this, you should be able to ubirename.
So I was thinking that a ubirename is not really an update and expected the rename
op to work even on a mounted fs.

I solved the issue by booting an initramfs first. There I do the rename "rootfs2" exists and then switch root

* Re: Updating UBIFS rootfilesystem
@ 2012-02-24  8:16   ` Matthias Fuchs
From: Matthias Fuchs @ 2012-02-24  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dedekind1; +Cc: linux-mtd

On 02/13/2012 02:57 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:44 +0100, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there an elegant way to update an UBIFS rootfilesystem?
>>
>> Let's say I have enough flash space for my actual rootfilesystem
>> (rootfs1) and a new version (rootfs2). So while running from rootfs1
>> I updated rootfs2 volume with a new rootfilesystem.
>
> I you cannot update a mounted fs - you have to unmount it first. If you
> are able to do this, you should be able to ubirename.
So I was thinking that a ubirename is not really an update and expected the rename
op to work even on a mounted fs.

I solved the issue by booting an initramfs first.
There I do the rename "rootfs2" -> "rootfs1" and then switch root
to "rootfs1".

@ 2012-02-24  9:47     ` Ricard Wanderlof
From: Ricard Wanderlof @ 2012-02-24  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthias Fuchs; +Cc: linux-mtd, dedekind1

On Fri, 24 Feb 2012, Matthias Fuchs wrote:

> On 02/13/2012 02:57 PM, Artem Bityutskiy wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 13:44 +0100, Matthias Fuchs wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> is there an elegant way to update an UBIFS rootfilesystem?
>>>
>>> Let's say I have enough flash space for my actual rootfilesystem
>>> (rootfs1) and a new version (rootfs2). So while running from rootfs1
>>> I updated rootfs2 volume with a new rootfilesystem.
>>
>> I you cannot update a mounted fs - you have to unmount it first. If you
>> are able to do this, you should be able to ubirename.
> So I was thinking that a ubirename is not really an update and expected the rename
> op to work even on a mounted fs.

I agree, it would be very nice to be able to rename a mounted file system,
although I don't know if there is something internal to UBI which would
conflict with that. For instance, when doing 'df', it reports the UBI
volume name (such as "ubi0:rootfs") and I don't know if it's possible to
change the corresponding string once the file system has been mounted.

/Ricard

* Re: Updating UBIFS rootfilesystem
@ 2012-03-09  7:53       ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-03-09  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricard Wanderlof; +Cc: linux-mtd, Matthias Fuchs

On Fri, 2012-02-24 at 10:47 +0100, Ricard Wanderlof wrote:
> I agree, it would be very nice to be able to rename a mounted file system,
> although I don't know if there is something internal to UBI which would
> conflict with that. For instance, when doing 'df', it reports the UBI
> volume name (such as "ubi0:rootfs") and I don't know if it's possible to
> change the corresponding string once the file system has been mounted.

Well, may be it is possible. It is a matter of someone experimenting
with this if he really needs it.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy