* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-04-22 18:00 Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2012-04-22 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Hey.

I wrote a utility to boot Marvell SoCs over serial.

If that sounds generally useful, would you be so kind to merge

git://github.com/dns42/u-boot.git at dns/kwboot-1

If it's missing sth for that to happen, lemme know.

Cheers,
Daniel

PS: Sorry if you received this twice,
    first mail got stuck in moderation.

* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-11-13  7:01         ` Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2012-11-13  7:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, 2012-11-10 at 09:04 -0500, Sam Bulka wrote:
> I understand the advantage of the tool when installed on a PC. But not
> the advantage of adding it to Uboot, since the tool is needed when
> Uboot is broken and doesn't work anymore. How would you use this tool
> from within Uboot, if you can't access Uboot prompt? :) And if you can
> access the prompt, then you can reflash Uboot or change its
> environment without this tool.

Sam,

in case this didn't become clear: the receiving end to which this tool
talks resides in firmware deeply embedded within the SoC. It's a
function specific to Marvell processors, not u-boot, and activated by
talking to the chip before any other software environment is loaded.

These chips support booting from a whole variety of peripheral sources
to load system images from, both SPI flash and UART are just
alternatives. So it's in u-boot as part of the toolchain, not boot
firmware.

Daniel

* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-11-11  8:29         ` Luka Perkov
From: Luka Perkov @ 2012-11-11  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, Nov 10, 2012 at 09:04:19AM -0500, Sam Bulka wrote:
> I understand the advantage of the tool when installed on a PC. But not
> the advantage of adding it to Uboot, since the tool is needed when
> Uboot is broken and doesn't work anymore. How would you use this tool
> from within Uboot, if you can't access Uboot prompt? :) And if you can
> access the prompt, then you can reflash Uboot or change its
> environment without this tool.

This tool must be used on PC and not in u-boot prompt. The sources for
this tool are in u-boot because it makes sense to put a tool like this
there. The tool is not compiled into u-boot binary.

There are other tools in the u-boot git repository that are not used in
u-boot but on the PC. Look at mkimage for example.

Luka

* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-11-10 14:04       ` Sam Bulka
From: Sam Bulka @ 2012-11-10 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-11-10  7:13     ` Prafulla Wadaskar
From: Prafulla Wadaskar @ 2012-11-10  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-11-04 12:58   ` Sambul
From: Sambul @ 2012-11-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-04-23 20:56 ` Wolfgang Denk
From: Wolfgang Denk @ 2012-04-23 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Dear Daniel Stodden,

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Winners never talk about glorious victories. That's  because  they're
the  ones  who  see  what the battlefield looks like afterwards. It's
only the losers who have glorious victories.
                                      - Terry Pratchett, _Small Gods_

* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-04-22 21:28   ` Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2012-04-22 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sun, 2012-04-22 at 11:46 -0700, Prafulla Wadaskar wrote:

> [...]

I git-mailed the delta.

Tweaked docs and whitespace a little since the original mail. Removing
some residual stuff I thought I'd eventually support, but so far don't
(like driving to debug mode etc.).

That bumped up my upstream branch revision to dns/kwboot-3.

Things were mostly tested with a qnap TS-219P+ board. Guess at this
point it should at least be good enough to leave plugcomputer folks etc
with a solid brick/unbrick perspective.

Ideas + overall input certainly welcome.

Cheers,
Daniel

* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-04-22 18:46 ` Prafulla Wadaskar
From: Prafulla Wadaskar @ 2012-04-22 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

Regards..
Prafulla . . .

* [U-Boot] kwboot: Boot Marvell Kirkwood SoCs over a serial link.
@ 2012-04-22  6:26 Daniel Stodden