* how to return a chunk of kernel .data to free mem ?
@ 2021-06-05 14:50 ` jim.cromie
From: jim.cromie @ 2021-06-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML, Linux Memory Management List, Jason Baron

I have convinced DYNAMIC_DEBUG code to not need
about 15% of its __dyndbg section, about 30kb on my test kernel.

This memory is not kmalloc'd, so krealloc wont work.
(I tried anyway, on a loaded module, it panicd)

Is there a way to return a chunk of init .data memory to general use ?

heres the patchset;
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210529200029.205306-1-jim.cromie@gmail.com/

From: jim.cromie @ 2021-06-05 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LKML, Linux Memory Management List, Jason Baron

I have convinced DYNAMIC_DEBUG code to not need
about 15% of its __dyndbg section, about 30kb on my test kernel.

This memory is not kmalloc'd, so krealloc wont work.
(I tried anyway, on a loaded module, it panicd)

Is there a way to return a chunk of init .data memory to general use ?

heres the patchset;
https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210529200029.205306-1-jim.cromie@gmail.com/

* Re: how to return a chunk of kernel .data to free mem ?
  (?)
@ 2021-06-09 11:19 ` David Hildenbrand
From: David Hildenbrand @ 2021-06-09 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim.cromie, LKML, Linux Memory Management List, Jason Baron

On 05.06.21 16:50, jim.cromie@gmail.com wrote:
> I have convinced DYNAMIC_DEBUG code to not need
> about 15% of its __dyndbg section, about 30kb on my test kernel.
>
> This memory is not kmalloc'd, so krealloc wont work.
> (I tried anyway, on a loaded module, it panicd)
>
> Is there a way to return a chunk of init .data memory to general use ?
>
> heres the patchset;
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210529200029.205306-1-jim.cromie@gmail.com/

Hm, you could try free_reserved_page(). But obviously, only full pages
can be handed to the buddy.

David / dhildenb