* [LARTC] HTB policing affects shaping performance? Please, help.
@ 2007-02-14 13:50 Bc.Slavomir Danas
From: Bc.Slavomir Danas @ 2007-02-14 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

This is my simple situation:
I want to policy download and shape upload going through my router.
It has two interfaces: eth0 (10.4.10.222/24 connected to LAN) and eth1 (172.16.0.1/24 connected to my laptop).
My setup:
[eth1]
tc qdisc add dev eth1 root handle 1: htb default 999
tc qdisc add dev eth1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 1Mbit
tc filter add dev eth1 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip dst 172.16.0.2 flowid 1:1
[eth0]
tc qdisc add dev eth0 root handle 1: htb default 999
  tc qdisc add dev eth0 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 1Mbit
  tc filter add dev eth0 protocol ip parent 1:0 prio 1 u32 match ip src 172.16.0.2 flowid 1:1

I'm trying to access shared folders (samba) on ip 10.4.10.10 from my laptop with ip 172.16.0.2.
Everything works as expected when downloading or uploading (correctly shaped and policed at 1Mbit). But when I try to download and upload at the same time, my speed drops down rapidly on both download and upload (approx. 350kbit and 550kbit). I tried to replace tc filter with iptables CLASSIFY but with the same result.
What is the correct approach when configuring separate queues with guaranteed rate without affecting each other?

Running 2.6.19-gentoo-r5, iptables-1.3.5, iproute2-ss061214

Thanx in advance.

Slavius.

* Re: [LARTC] HTB policing affects shaping performance? Please, help.
@ 2007-02-14 21:01 ` Radu Oprisan
From: Radu Oprisan @ 2007-02-14 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

Bc.Slavomir Danas wrote:
 > I'm trying to access shared folders (samba) on ip 10.4.10.10 from my
> laptop with ip 172.16.0.2.
> Everything works as expected when downloading or uploading (correctly
> shaped and policed at 1Mbit). But when I try to download and upload at
> the same time, my speed drops down rapidly on both download and upload
> (approx. 350kbit and 550kbit). I tried to replace tc filter with
> iptables CLASSIFY but with the same result.
> What is the correct approach when configuring separate queues with
> guaranteed rate without affecting each other?

Your setup is ok. The only problem you are facing is that samba is a
very "chatty" program, it tends to communicate a lot outside of simply
downloading something. What i am trying to say is that, you will have
some upload when in reality you are downloading something. This being
true, when you begin uploading something, your upload line becomes full
and, the upload chat for the download slows down, this in turn slowing
down your download. I'm sorry if what I'm saying is hard to read. Try
using some other protocol to run your tests. I was using for this
purpose a Linux utility but i can't remember how it was called.

--
Radu Oprisan

* Re: [LARTC] HTB policing affects shaping performance? Please, help.
@ 2007-02-16 11:27 ` Grzegorz Chwesewicz
From: Grzegorz Chwesewicz @ 2007-02-16 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lartc

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:01:02 +0200, Radu Oprisan wrote
> Bc.Slavomir Danas wrote:
>  > I'm trying to access shared folders (samba) on ip 10.4.10.10 from
> my
> > laptop with ip 172.16.0.2.
> > Everything works as expected when downloading or uploading (correctly
> > shaped and policed at 1Mbit). But when I try to download and upload at
> > the same time, my speed drops down rapidly on both download and upload
> > (approx. 350kbit and 550kbit). I tried to replace tc filter with
> > iptables CLASSIFY but with the same result.
> > What is the correct approach when configuring separate queues with
> > guaranteed rate without affecting each other?

<cut>

>Try using some other protocol to run your
> tests. I was using for this purpose a Linux utility but i can't
> remember how it was called.

You are probably talking about ttcp tool.

--
Grzegorz Chwesewicz