* error while loading state for instance 0x0 of device 'kvmclock'
@ 2009-11-02  8:36 Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2009-11-02  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

current qemu-kvm.git gives me the message "qemu: warning: error while
"savevm" followed by a "loadvm 1". What's broken here?

Jan

* Re: error while loading state for instance 0x0 of device 'kvmclock'
@ 2009-11-02 10:28 ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2009-11-02 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcelo Tosatti, Glauber Costa; +Cc: kvm

Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> current qemu-kvm.git gives me the message "qemu: warning: error while
> "savevm" followed by a "loadvm 1". What's broken here?

OK, this is due to "KVM: add flags to kvm_clock_data" (958b0c5497): the
flags field is not cleared on KVM_SET_CLOCK. Will post a fix.

But the above kernel commit is also broken: KVM_GET_CLOCK checks
uninitialized user_ns.flags (probably instead of the user's value). This
raises the question if the caller of KVM_GET_CLOCK is also supposed to
pass kvm_clock_data with flags cleared down to the kernel. Could someone
clarify this so I could fix it accordingly?

@ 2009-11-02 12:29   ` Marcelo Tosatti
From: Marcelo Tosatti @ 2009-11-02 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Glauber Costa, kvm

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:28:38AM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > current qemu-kvm.git gives me the message "qemu: warning: error while
> > "savevm" followed by a "loadvm 1". What's broken here?
>
> OK, this is due to "KVM: add flags to kvm_clock_data" (958b0c5497): the
> flags field is not cleared on KVM_SET_CLOCK. Will post a fix.
>
> But the above kernel commit is also broken: KVM_GET_CLOCK checks
> uninitialized user_ns.flags (probably instead of the user's value). This
> raises the question if the caller of KVM_GET_CLOCK is also supposed to
> pass kvm_clock_data with flags cleared down to the kernel. Could someone
> clarify this so I could fix it accordingly?

Yes userspace is supposed to clear flags. My bad.

* Re: error while loading state for instance 0x0 of device 'kvmclock'
@ 2009-11-02 13:36   ` Avi Kivity
From: Avi Kivity @ 2009-11-02 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Glauber Costa, kvm

On 11/02/2009 12:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> current qemu-kvm.git gives me the message "qemu: warning: error while
>> "savevm" followed by a "loadvm 1". What's broken here?
>>
> OK, this is due to "KVM: add flags to kvm_clock_data" (958b0c5497): the
> flags field is not cleared on KVM_SET_CLOCK. Will post a fix.
>
> But the above kernel commit is also broken: KVM_GET_CLOCK checks
> uninitialized user_ns.flags (probably instead of the user's value). This
> raises the question if the caller of KVM_GET_CLOCK is also supposed to
> pass kvm_clock_data with flags cleared down to the kernel. Could someone
> clarify this so I could fix it accordingly?

I'd make KVM_GET_CLOCK set the flags, not get them.  So if we add new
fields, we just set a new bit and userspace can read it.

* Re: error while loading state for instance 0x0 of device 'kvmclock'
@ 2009-11-02 15:37     ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2009-11-02 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Avi Kivity; +Cc: Marcelo Tosatti, Glauber Costa, kvm

Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 11/02/2009 12:28 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:
>> Jan Kiszka wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> current qemu-kvm.git gives me the message "qemu: warning: error while
>>> "savevm" followed by a "loadvm 1". What's broken here?
>>>
>> OK, this is due to "KVM: add flags to kvm_clock_data" (958b0c5497): the
>> flags field is not cleared on KVM_SET_CLOCK. Will post a fix.
>>
>> But the above kernel commit is also broken: KVM_GET_CLOCK checks
>> uninitialized user_ns.flags (probably instead of the user's value). This
>> raises the question if the caller of KVM_GET_CLOCK is also supposed to
>> pass kvm_clock_data with flags cleared down to the kernel. Could someone
>> clarify this so I could fix it accordingly?
>>

> I'd make KVM_GET_CLOCK set the flags, not get them.  So if we add new
> fields, we just set a new bit and userspace can read it.

This makes sense and actually fixes the issue completely. Patch on its
way...

@ 2009-11-03 10:54       ` Glauber Costa
From: Glauber Costa @ 2009-11-03 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka; +Cc: Avi Kivity, Marcelo Tosatti, kvm

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 04:37:15PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> Avi Kivity wrote:

> >> OK, this is due to "KVM: add flags to kvm_clock_data" (958b0c5497): the
> >> flags field is not cleared on KVM_SET_CLOCK. Will post a fix.
> >>
> >> But the above kernel commit is also broken: KVM_GET_CLOCK checks
> >> uninitialized user_ns.flags (probably instead of the user's value). This
> >> raises the question if the caller of KVM_GET_CLOCK is also supposed to
> >> pass kvm_clock_data with flags cleared down to the kernel. Could someone
> >> clarify this so I could fix it accordingly?
> >>

> > I'd make KVM_GET_CLOCK set the flags, not get them.  So if we add new
> > fields, we just set a new bit and userspace can read it.
>
> This makes sense and actually fixes the issue completely. Patch on its
> way...
agreed. This is the best behaviour I can devise, indeed.