* Auto load of coretemp and pkgtemp
@ 2011-01-24 17:54 Phillip Susi
From: Phillip Susi @ 2011-01-24 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

I recently built a new sandybridge system and was surprised to find that
I had to manually load the coretemp and pkgtemp modules to monitor the
cpu temperature.  My last few systems have been AMD where the k8temp
module is automatically loaded.  It seems k8temp has a modalias that
gets it loaded on the correct hardware, but coretemp and pkgtemp have no
alias.  Why is this, and how can I construct a proper alias to get the
intel modules to auto load?

* Re: Auto load of coretemp and pkgtemp
@ 2011-01-26  0:45 ` Robert Hancock
From: Robert Hancock @ 2011-01-26  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Susi; +Cc: linux-acpi

On 01/24/2011 11:54 AM, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I recently built a new sandybridge system and was surprised to find that
> I had to manually load the coretemp and pkgtemp modules to monitor the
> cpu temperature.  My last few systems have been AMD where the k8temp
> module is automatically loaded.  It seems k8temp has a modalias that
> gets it loaded on the correct hardware, but coretemp and pkgtemp have no
> alias.  Why is this, and how can I construct a proper alias to get the
> intel modules to auto load?

I think the difference is that on AMD the temperature monitoring is done
through a virtual PCI device that we can make a modalias for, but
coretemp support is based on CPUID and I don't think there's a way to
construct a modalias for that.

* Re: Auto load of coretemp and pkgtemp
@ 2011-01-26  0:51   ` Henrique de Moraes Holschuh
From: Henrique de Moraes Holschuh @ 2011-01-26  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Hancock; +Cc: Phillip Susi, linux-acpi

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011, Robert Hancock wrote:
> but coretemp support is based on CPUID and I don't think there's a
> way to construct a modalias for that.

Because we never had much reason to, in the past.

You can always extend the kernel to actually generate a modalias in the
CPU devices in sysfs with the cpuid, and add the relevant patterns to
drivers like coretemp.  If you do, make it extensible like the ones used
for the BIOS DMI information, so that we can add any relevant future
feature bits.

  Henrique Holschuh