* Mediatek MT7601U big endian fixes
@ 2014-09-24 17:19 Luca Olivetti
From: Luca Olivetti @ 2014-09-24 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hello,

apart from the general brokenness of the vendor supplied driver (see
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg126291.html and
http://www.arnelborja.com/compiling-rt2870-wifi-driver-in-fedora/), it
doesn't work in big endian mode.

Without this patch:

https://code.google.com/p/mt7601-openwrt/source/browse/patches/007-big-endian-fix.patch

it doesn't even compile, and this one

https://code.google.com/p/mt7601-openwrt/source/browse/patches/008-more-big-endiand-fixes.patch

makes it functional.

Before finding the fix myself I contacted mediatek support with no reply
so far.

Do you know if is there somebody (at ralink/mediatek or elsewhere)
working on integrating this chipset in the in-kernel driver?

Bye
--
Luca

* Re: Mediatek MT7601U big endian fixes
@ 2014-09-24 17:51 ` John W. Linville
From: John W. Linville @ 2014-09-24 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Luca Olivetti; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 07:19:07PM +0200, Luca Olivetti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> apart from the general brokenness of the vendor supplied driver (see
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-wireless/msg126291.html and
> http://www.arnelborja.com/compiling-rt2870-wifi-driver-in-fedora/), it
> doesn't work in big endian mode.
>
> Without this patch:
>
> https://code.google.com/p/mt7601-openwrt/source/browse/patches/007-big-endian-fix.patch
>
> it doesn't even compile, and this one
>
> https://code.google.com/p/mt7601-openwrt/source/browse/patches/008-more-big-endiand-fixes.patch
>
> makes it functional.
>
> Before finding the fix myself I contacted mediatek support with no reply
> so far.
>
> Do you know if is there somebody (at ralink/mediatek or elsewhere)
> working on integrating this chipset in the in-kernel driver?
>
> Bye
> --
> Luca

I don't know of anyone from Ralink/MediaTek or otherwise working
on that.  I sent some emails to MediaTek on this issue recently,
but I made the mistake of including someone from the community who
actively undermind my attempts to reach-out to MediaTek...

If you (or anyone else) want to work on integrating device support
from that driver with the in-kernel drivers then I encourage you to
do so.  If you happen to have better contacts with MediaTek than I
have, then please feel free to reach out to them and/or to put them
in contact with me.

John
linville@tuxdriver.com			might be all we have.  Be ready.

* Re: Mediatek MT7601U big endian fixes
@ 2014-09-24 18:49   ` Luca Olivetti
From: Luca Olivetti @ 2014-09-24 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John W. Linville; +Cc: linux-wireless

El 24/09/14 19:51, John W. Linville ha escrit:

>> Do you know if is there somebody (at ralink/mediatek or elsewhere)
>> working on integrating this chipset in the in-kernel driver?
>>
>> Bye
>> --
>> Luca
>
> I don't know of anyone from Ralink/MediaTek or otherwise working
> on that.  I sent some emails to MediaTek on this issue recently,
> but I made the mistake of including someone from the community who
> actively undermind my attempts to reach-out to MediaTek...

Oh, that's bad. It's not that the driver doesn't work (it does, once
patched), but it doesn't integrate nicely (i.e. no mac80211 support).

> If you (or anyone else) want to work on integrating device support
> from that driver with the in-kernel drivers then I encourage you to
> do so.

Unfortunately, I'm not the right person for the job :-(
That's why I asked.

> If you happen to have better contacts with MediaTek than I
> have, then please feel free to reach out to them and/or to put them
> in contact with me.

I don't know anybody at Mediatek, I just contacted them about the issue
through their web form. I didn't think I could fix it by myself. In
fact, I still don't understand why it's necessary to  byte swap
structures that are already defined differently for big endian/little
endian, see the point above about me not being the right person for the
job ;-)

Bye
--
Luca