* [nftables] goto vs jump documentation
@ 2015-11-20 13:45 Arturo Borrero Gonzalez
From: Arturo Borrero Gonzalez @ 2015-11-20 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've documented the difference between goto and jump in the nftables wiki [0].

Let me know if that's OK.

regards.

[0] http://wiki.nftables.org/wiki-nftables/index.php/Jumping_to_chain

--
Arturo Borrero González

* Re: [nftables] goto vs jump documentation
@ 2015-11-24 15:56 ` Pablo Neira Ayuso
From: Pablo Neira Ayuso @ 2015-11-24 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 02:45:31PM +0100, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've documented the difference between goto and jump in the nftables wiki [0].
>
> Let me know if that's OK.

This looks good.

I'd suggest you place this into add this into a new article:

"Going to chain"

just after the existing "Jumping to chain". No changes in the content,
I like that you use the jump concept as reference to explain this new
one.

* Re: [nftables] goto vs jump documentation
@ 2015-11-24 17:02   ` Patrick McHardy
From: Patrick McHardy @ 2015-11-24 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pablo Neira Ayuso

On 24.11, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 02:45:31PM +0100, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've documented the difference between goto and jump in the nftables wiki [0].
> >
> > Let me know if that's OK.
>
> This looks good.
>
> I'd suggest you place this into add this into a new article:
>
> "Going to chain"
>
> just after the existing "Jumping to chain". No changes in the content,
> I like that you use the jump concept as reference to explain this new
> one.

Really in a new article? The difference is not really about the jumping,
both do that, the difference is in returning. "Going to" sounds a
unfamiliar to me.

* Re: [nftables] goto vs jump documentation
@ 2015-11-25 13:27     ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2015-11-25 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick McHardy
  Cc: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez,
	Netfilter Development Mailing list

On Tuesday 2015-11-24 18:02, Patrick McHardy wrote:
>On 24.11, Pablo Neira Ayuso wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 02:45:31PM +0100, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I've documented the difference between goto and jump in the nftables wiki [0].
>> >
>> > Let me know if that's OK.
>>
>> This looks good.
>>
>> I'd suggest you place this into add this into a new article:
>>
>> "Going to chain"
>>
>> just after the existing "Jumping to chain". No changes in the content,
>> I like that you use the jump concept as reference to explain this new
>> one.
>
>Really in a new article? The difference is not really about the jumping,
>both do that, the difference is in returning. "Going to" sounds a
>unfamiliar to me.

I concur, in particular because of the curious choice of keywords once
upon many moons. I would even suggest to name the section title
"Invoking other chains" so as to avoid using terms with
implementation-specific meaning before they are explained. Think someone
skimming through the TOC..

* Re: [nftables] goto vs jump documentation
@ 2015-11-25 13:31       ` Patrick McHardy
From: Patrick McHardy @ 2015-11-25 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Engelhardt
  Cc: Pablo Neira Ayuso, Arturo Borrero Gonzalez,

On 25.11, Jan Engelhardt wrote:

> On Tuesday 2015-11-24 18:02, Patrick McHardy wrote:

> >> This looks good.
> >>
> >> I'd suggest you place this into add this into a new article:
> >>
> >> "Going to chain"
> >>
> >> just after the existing "Jumping to chain". No changes in the content,
> >> I like that you use the jump concept as reference to explain this new
> >> one.
> >
> >Really in a new article? The difference is not really about the jumping,
> >both do that, the difference is in returning. "Going to" sounds a
> >unfamiliar to me.
>
> I concur, in particular because of the curious choice of keywords once
> upon many moons. I would even suggest to name the section title
> "Invoking other chains" so as to avoid using terms with
> implementation-specific meaning before they are explained. Think someone
> skimming through the TOC..

I agree, that's way better.