* [dm-crypt] LUKS linux encrypted file system causing file corruption
@ 2015-11-30  9:19 Sumit Kumar
From: Sumit Kumar @ 2015-11-30  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33993264/luks-linux-encrypted-file-system-causing-file-corruption#>
I am having a LUKS encrypted Linux file system (dmCrypt). When I copy a
huge file, around 5 GB of file, from un-encrypted linux file system to LUKS
encrypted linux file system then the target copied file MD5 changed.

I am not sure does it corrupting the file as the MD5 changed?

I am using CentOS 6.5 and working on VMs not on physical machine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated .

--
Thanks & Regards
*Sumit Kumar*

* Re: [dm-crypt] LUKS linux encrypted file system causing file corruption
@ 2015-11-30 12:47 ` Ralf Ramsauer
From: Ralf Ramsauer @ 2015-11-30 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sumit Kumar, dm-crypt

Hi Sumit,

a change of the checksum implies that the source and destination file
differ. The reason why it differs is another question.
Does the checksum also differ if you copy it from unencrypted to
unencrypted?

First, please check your dmesg log if something suspicious occurs during
the copy process. A hard drive failure might also explain your problem.
As you're using VMs, check the dmesg of the hypervisor machine which
accesses the actual hardware.

Second, ensure that the source file is not changed during the copy
process and also not afterwards when comparing the checksums. Same
applies to the destination. You might want to use 'lsof' to check if
some process is accessing the file.

Just a guess - ...you mentioned VMs and a file of around 5GB... Sounds
like you're trying to copy a VM image, eh?
If so, make sure that your virtualization software does not touch the
file during copy.

Cheers
  Ralf

@ 2015-11-30 14:16 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2015-11-30 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi Sumit,

There are several possibilities. After you have made sure
that noting is chanmging the source during the copying,
the remaning possibilitiy is data corruption.

The first thing is to get an idea how many bytes are
different.

  cmp -b file1 file2 | wc

does that. Please run this (may take long) and post the
results.

One of the usual suspects in data corruption is RAM.
You ma want to run a memory-check overnight, just to
be sure. See FAQ Item 4.3 and 4.4:

  https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Regards,
Arno

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 10:19:34 CET, Sumit Kumar wrote:
> <http://stackoverflow.com/questions/33993264/luks-linux-encrypted-file-system-causing-file-corruption#>
> I am having a LUKS encrypted Linux file system (dmCrypt). When I copy a
> huge file, around 5 GB of file, from un-encrypted linux file system to LUKS
> encrypted linux file system then the target copied file MD5 changed.
>
> I am not sure does it corrupting the file as the MD5 changed?
>
> I am using CentOS 6.5 and working on VMs not on physical machine.
>
> Any help will be greatly appreciated .
>
> --
> Thanks & Regards
> *Sumit Kumar*

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----

* Re: [dm-crypt] LUKS linux encrypted file system causing file corruption
@ 2015-12-02  8:04   ` Ritesh Raj Sarraf
From: Ritesh Raj Sarraf @ 2015-12-02  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Did you get a chance to verify what Ralf and Arno asked for ?

I'd too, be interested to know the findings. In the initial post, you
did not mention what file system you were on ?

Also, interesting is Ralf's point. Are you copying the file while it is
opened by another process ?

Ritesh

On Mon, 2015-11-30 at 13:47 +0100, Ralf Ramsauer wrote:
> Hi Sumit,
>
> a change of the checksum implies that the source and destination file
> differ. The reason why it differs is another question.
> Does the checksum also differ if you copy it from unencrypted to
> unencrypted?
>
> First, please check your dmesg log if something suspicious occurs
> during the copy process. A hard drive failure might also explain your
> problem. As you're using VMs, check the dmesg of the hypervisor
> machine which accesses the actual hardware.
>
> Second, ensure that the source file is not changed during the copy
> process and also not afterwards when comparing the checksums. Same
> applies to the destination. You might want to use 'lsof' to check if
> some process is accessing the file.
>
> Just a guess - ...you mentioned VMs and a file of around 5GB...
> Sounds like you're trying to copy a VM image, eh?
> If so, make sure that your virtualization software does not touch the
> file during copy.
>
> Cheers
>   Ralf
>
> On 11/30/2015 10:19 AM, Sumit Kumar wrote:
> > I am having a LUKS encrypted Linux file system (dmCrypt). When I
> > copy a huge file, around 5 GB of file, from un-encrypted linux file
> > system to LUKS encrypted linux file system then the target copied
> > file MD5 changed.
> > I am not sure does it corrupting the file as the MD5 changed?
> > I am using CentOS 6.5 and working on VMs not on physical machine.
> > Any help will be greatly appreciated .
> >
> > --
> > Thanks & Regards
> > Sumit Kumar

me in replies for quicker response

* Re: [dm-crypt] LUKS linux encrypted file system causing file corruption
@ 2015-12-02 12:22     ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2015-12-02 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I second that. I have some experience with handling large
data-sets. Doing a verify after copying larger amounts of data
is one of the better ways to identiify problems with RAM,
busses and controllers.

Regards,
Arno