* Some more feedback on Chapter 9
@ 2016-07-28 13:06 Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-28 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul E. McKenney; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

Hi Paul,

There are still several issues regarding Chapter 9 I want to feedback.
I'm afraid most of them are beyond my ability to submit as patches.

* At the beginning of Section 9.5.2, there is a credit of the form
  "Authors: ...".
  But there is \OriginallyPublished{} command just above the credit.
  I'm wondering if the credit in the text is necessary.
  There is a similar credit at the beginning of Section 14.2, but there is
  no \OriginallyPublished{} command there. This section seems to have been
  written for perfbook. If this is the case, for a consistent look, it would
  be better if the credit is moved to Appendix F.1.

* Position of Quick Quiz 9.44 looks a little premature. SRCU is  mentioned
  just after the Quick Quiz.

* The 2nd sentence of Section 9.5.4.4 ends as "... in the companion article."
  This seems like a vestige of its origin in LWN. Should be fixed to match
  the context.

* In the introduction of Section 9.5.5, understanding of the whole Chapter 9
  is listed in the prerequisite for the "toy" implementation. I suppose
  recursion is not intended here.

* Also in the introduction of Section 9.5.5, Section 9.5.5.2 is not mentioned.

* (Typo) In the 2nd paragraph of Section 9.7, there is a redundant "can" in
  "... so that updates can can operate locally, ...".
  (Yes, I can submit the fix of this one as a patch. If you want me to do so,
  please let me know.)

* (Apart from Chapter 9) In Section 14.2.10.1, there are four instances of
  $\dagger$ for introducing notes. I'm wondering if they can be converted
  to footnotes. I'm not sure where they should be placed in the text, though.

I said earlier there were a few issues, but in the end there are a quite a few.

I don't mind if some (or all) of them be taken care of later after the upcoming
release.

                                                      Thanks, Akira

* Re: Some more feedback on Chapter 9
@ 2016-07-28 17:40 ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-28 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06:22PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> There are still several issues regarding Chapter 9 I want to feedback.
> I'm afraid most of them are beyond my ability to submit as patches.
>
> * At the beginning of Section 9.5.2, there is a credit of the form
>   "Authors: ...".
>   But there is \OriginallyPublished{} command just above the credit.
>   I'm wondering if the credit in the text is necessary.
>   There is a similar credit at the beginning of Section 14.2, but there is
>   no \OriginallyPublished{} command there. This section seems to have been
>   written for perfbook. If this is the case, for a consistent look, it would
>   be better if the credit is moved to Appendix F.1.

Good point!  I am guessing that these predated \OriginallyPublished{}, and
that I didn't get around to fixing them properly.  I have now fixed them.

> * Position of Quick Quiz 9.44 looks a little premature. SRCU is  mentioned
>   just after the Quick Quiz.

Good catch, moved.

> * The 2nd sentence of Section 9.5.4.4 ends as "... in the companion article."
>   This seems like a vestige of its origin in LWN. Should be fixed to match
>   the context.

Now it is "Section~\ref{sec:defer:RCU Usage}", good eyes!

> * In the introduction of Section 9.5.5, understanding of the whole Chapter 9
>   is listed in the prerequisite for the "toy" implementation. I suppose
>   recursion is not intended here.

You know, that is strangely appropriate, now that you mention it!  ;-)

But how about the following?

	Nevertheless, you will need a thorough understanding of Chapters
	2, 3, 4, and 6, as well as the previous portions of Chapter 9 for
	even these toy RCU implementations to be easily understandable.

> * Also in the introduction of Section 9.5.5, Section 9.5.5.2 is not mentioned.

Fixed!  Now "Section 9.5.5.2 through 9.5.5.9".

> * (Typo) In the 2nd paragraph of Section 9.7, there is a redundant "can" in
>   "... so that updates can can operate locally, ...".
>   (Yes, I can submit the fix of this one as a patch. If you want me to do so,
>   please let me know.)

I fixed it with your Reported-by.

And here is the Youtube video corresponding to that particular typo:

	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Diu2N8TGKA

> * (Apart from Chapter 9) In Section 14.2.10.1, there are four instances of
>   $\dagger$ for introducing notes. I'm wondering if they can be converted
>   to footnotes. I'm not sure where they should be placed in the text, though.

Odd.  Those were there in the initial git commit.

I am removing the $\dagger$ commands and thus letting them be normal
paragraphs.

> I said earlier there were a few issues, but in the end there are a quite a few.
>
> I don't mind if some (or all) of them be taken care of later after the upcoming
> release.

They were all reasonably easy, so might as well do them now.  Famous
last words.  ;-)

I commited and pushed them all.

							Thanx, Paul

* Re: Some more feedback on Chapter 9
@ 2016-07-28 21:41   ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-28 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/07/28 10:40:57 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06:22PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> There are still several issues regarding Chapter 9 I want to feedback.
>> I'm afraid most of them are beyond my ability to submit as patches.
>>
>> * At the beginning of Section 9.5.2, there is a credit of the form
>>   "Authors: ...".
>>   But there is \OriginallyPublished{} command just above the credit.
>>   I'm wondering if the credit in the text is necessary.
>>   There is a similar credit at the beginning of Section 14.2, but there is
>>   no \OriginallyPublished{} command there. This section seems to have been
>>   written for perfbook. If this is the case, for a consistent look, it would
>>   be better if the credit is moved to Appendix F.1.
>
> Good point!  I am guessing that these predated \OriginallyPublished{}, and
> that I didn't get around to fixing them properly.  I have now fixed them.
>
>> * Position of Quick Quiz 9.44 looks a little premature. SRCU is  mentioned
>>   just after the Quick Quiz.
>
> Good catch, moved.
>
>> * The 2nd sentence of Section 9.5.4.4 ends as "... in the companion article."
>>   This seems like a vestige of its origin in LWN. Should be fixed to match
>>   the context.
>
> Now it is "Section~\ref{sec:defer:RCU Usage}", good eyes!
>
>> * In the introduction of Section 9.5.5, understanding of the whole Chapter 9
>>   is listed in the prerequisite for the "toy" implementation. I suppose
>>   recursion is not intended here.
>
> You know, that is strangely appropriate, now that you mention it!  ;-)
>
> But how about the following?
>
> 	Nevertheless, you will need a thorough understanding of Chapters
> 	2, 3, 4, and 6, as well as the previous portions of Chapter 9 for
> 	even these toy RCU implementations to be easily understandable.

It's perfect!

>> * Also in the introduction of Section 9.5.5, Section 9.5.5.2 is not mentioned.
>
> Fixed!  Now "Section 9.5.5.2 through 9.5.5.9".

Wouldn't "Sections 9.5.5.2 through 9.5.5.9" be better?

>> * (Typo) In the 2nd paragraph of Section 9.7, there is a redundant "can" in
>>   "... so that updates can can operate locally, ...".
>>   (Yes, I can submit the fix of this one as a patch. If you want me to do so,
>>   please let me know.)
>
> I fixed it with your Reported-by.
>
> And here is the Youtube video corresponding to that particular typo:
>
> 	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Diu2N8TGKA

:-)

>> * (Apart from Chapter 9) In Section 14.2.10.1, there are four instances of
>>   $\dagger$ for introducing notes. I'm wondering if they can be converted
>>   to footnotes. I'm not sure where they should be placed in the text, though.
>
> Odd.  Those were there in the initial git commit.
>
> I am removing the $\dagger$ commands and thus letting them be normal
> paragraphs.
>
>> I said earlier there were a few issues, but in the end there are a quite a few.
>>
>> I don't mind if some (or all) of them be taken care of later after the upcoming
>> release.
>
> They were all reasonably easy, so might as well do them now.  Famous
> last words.  ;-)
>
> I commited and pushed them all.

Quick work!

There is one thing I forgot to mention.

In Appendix C.7.3, ARM-v7's memory barrier instructions are explained.
My understanding is that ARM-v8's memory barrier instructions are in line
with the semantics of Linux kernel's memory barrier primitives.
Wouldn't it be worth to mention somewhere, e.g., in a footnote?

                                                     Thanks, Akira

@ 2016-07-28 21:59   ` Akira Yokosawa
From: Akira Yokosawa @ 2016-07-28 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: paulmck; +Cc: perfbook, Akira Yokosawa

On 2016/07/29 2:40, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06:22PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
>> Hi Paul,
>>
>> There are still several issues regarding Chapter 9 I want to feedback.
>> I'm afraid most of them are beyond my ability to submit as patches.
>>
>> * At the beginning of Section 9.5.2, there is a credit of the form
>>   "Authors: ...".
>>   But there is \OriginallyPublished{} command just above the credit.
>>   I'm wondering if the credit in the text is necessary.
>>   There is a similar credit at the beginning of Section 14.2, but there is
>>   no \OriginallyPublished{} command there. This section seems to have been
>>   written for perfbook. If this is the case, for a consistent look, it would
>>   be better if the credit is moved to Appendix F.1.
>
> Good point!  I am guessing that these predated \OriginallyPublished{}, and
> that I didn't get around to fixing them properly.  I have now fixed them.

And I'm wondering why I didn't realize the origin of Section 14.2 is
Documentation/memory-barriers.txt...
But they look fairly different now, don't they?

@ 2016-07-28 22:19     ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-28 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 06:41:37AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/07/28 10:40:57 -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06:22PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> There are still several issues regarding Chapter 9 I want to feedback.
> >> I'm afraid most of them are beyond my ability to submit as patches.
> >>
> >> * At the beginning of Section 9.5.2, there is a credit of the form
> >>   "Authors: ...".
> >>   But there is \OriginallyPublished{} command just above the credit.
> >>   I'm wondering if the credit in the text is necessary.
> >>   There is a similar credit at the beginning of Section 14.2, but there is
> >>   no \OriginallyPublished{} command there. This section seems to have been
> >>   written for perfbook. If this is the case, for a consistent look, it would
> >>   be better if the credit is moved to Appendix F.1.
> >
> > Good point!  I am guessing that these predated \OriginallyPublished{}, and
> > that I didn't get around to fixing them properly.  I have now fixed them.
> >
> >> * Position of Quick Quiz 9.44 looks a little premature. SRCU is  mentioned
> >>   just after the Quick Quiz.
> >
> > Good catch, moved.
> >
> >> * The 2nd sentence of Section 9.5.4.4 ends as "... in the companion article."
> >>   This seems like a vestige of its origin in LWN. Should be fixed to match
> >>   the context.
> >
> > Now it is "Section~\ref{sec:defer:RCU Usage}", good eyes!
> >
> >> * In the introduction of Section 9.5.5, understanding of the whole Chapter 9
> >>   is listed in the prerequisite for the "toy" implementation. I suppose
> >>   recursion is not intended here.
> >
> > You know, that is strangely appropriate, now that you mention it!  ;-)
> >
> > But how about the following?
> >
> > 	Nevertheless, you will need a thorough understanding of Chapters
> > 	2, 3, 4, and 6, as well as the previous portions of Chapter 9 for
> > 	even these toy RCU implementations to be easily understandable.
>
> It's perfect!
>

> >> * Also in the introduction of Section 9.5.5, Section 9.5.5.2 is not mentioned.
> >
> > Fixed!  Now "Section 9.5.5.2 through 9.5.5.9".
> >

> Wouldn't "Sections 9.5.5.2 through 9.5.5.9" be better?

And fixed again.  ;-)

> >> * (Typo) In the 2nd paragraph of Section 9.7, there is a redundant "can" in
> >>   "... so that updates can can operate locally, ...".
> >>   (Yes, I can submit the fix of this one as a patch. If you want me to do so,
> >>   please let me know.)
> >
> > I fixed it with your Reported-by.
> >
> > And here is the Youtube video corresponding to that particular typo:
> >
> > 	https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Diu2N8TGKA
>
> :-)
>

> >> * (Apart from Chapter 9) In Section 14.2.10.1, there are four instances of
> >>   $\dagger$ for introducing notes. I'm wondering if they can be converted
> >>   to footnotes. I'm not sure where they should be placed in the text, though.
> >
> > Odd.  Those were there in the initial git commit.
> >
> > I am removing the $\dagger$ commands and thus letting them be normal
> > paragraphs.
> >
> >> I said earlier there were a few issues, but in the end there are a quite a few.
> >>
> >> I don't mind if some (or all) of them be taken care of later after the upcoming
> >> release.
> >
> > They were all reasonably easy, so might as well do them now.  Famous
> > last words.  ;-)
> >
> > I commited and pushed them all.
>
> Quick work!

Easy changes.  A hard change would be write a new chapter or some such.  ;-)

> There is one thing I forgot to mention.
>
> In Appendix C.7.3, ARM-v7's memory barrier instructions are explained.
> My understanding is that ARM-v8's memory barrier instructions are in line
> with the semantics of Linux kernel's memory barrier primitives.
> Wouldn't it be worth to mention somewhere, e.g., in a footnote?

I do have "ARMv8 has recently added load-acquire and store-release
instructions" in a footnote.

The memory-barrier discussion needs a full rewrite, but that must
wait on some ongoing work to actually formally define what exactly the
Linux-kernel memory model is.  That rewrite will bring in ARMv8.

							Thanx, Paul

* Re: Some more feedback on Chapter 9
@ 2016-07-28 22:21     ` Paul E. McKenney
From: Paul E. McKenney @ 2016-07-28 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Akira Yokosawa; +Cc: perfbook

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 06:59:24AM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> On 2016/07/29 2:40, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> > On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06:22PM +0900, Akira Yokosawa wrote:
> >> Hi Paul,
> >>
> >> There are still several issues regarding Chapter 9 I want to feedback.
> >> I'm afraid most of them are beyond my ability to submit as patches.
> >>
> >> * At the beginning of Section 9.5.2, there is a credit of the form
> >>   "Authors: ...".
> >>   But there is \OriginallyPublished{} command just above the credit.
> >>   I'm wondering if the credit in the text is necessary.
> >>   There is a similar credit at the beginning of Section 14.2, but there is
> >>   no \OriginallyPublished{} command there. This section seems to have been
> >>   written for perfbook. If this is the case, for a consistent look, it would
> >>   be better if the credit is moved to Appendix F.1.
> >
> > Good point!  I am guessing that these predated \OriginallyPublished{}, and
> > that I didn't get around to fixing them properly.  I have now fixed them.
>
> And I'm wondering why I didn't realize the origin of Section 14.2 is
> Documentation/memory-barriers.txt...
> But they look fairly different now, don't they?

They do!  The book has not kept up with memory-barriers.txt.

Again, once we formally define the Linux-kernel memory model, I will
rewrite the memory-barriers material, probably folding Section 14.2
and Appendix C together.

							Thanx, Paul