* [QUESTION] Is MPOL_F_MOF user visible?
@ 2019-03-09  6:22 Yang Shi
From: Yang Shi @ 2019-03-09  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mgorman, Michal Hocko, Vlastimil Babka; +Cc: linux-mm

Hi folks,

When reading the mempolicy code, I got confused by MPOL_F_MOF flag. It
is defined in include/uapi/linux/mempolicy.h, so it looks visible to the
users. But, man page doesn't mention it at all. And, the code in
do_set_mempolicy() -> mpol_new() doesn't set it. It looks it is just set
by two places:

     - NUMA default policy (preferred_node_policy)

     - When MPOL_MF_LAZY is passed in. But, it is not configurable from
user since it is not valid MF

So, actually it can't be set by user with set_mempolicy()/mbind() APIs,
right? As long as the process' or vmas' policy is changed to non-default
one (i.e. MPOL_BIND), those processes or vmas are *not* eligible for
migrating with NUMA balancing anymore?

Thanks,

Yang

* Re: [QUESTION] Is MPOL_F_MOF user visible?
@ 2019-03-09 12:49 ` Mel Gorman
From: Mel Gorman @ 2019-03-09 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yang Shi; +Cc: Michal Hocko, Vlastimil Babka, linux-mm

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:22:59PM -0800, Yang Shi wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> When reading the mempolicy code, I got confused by MPOL_F_MOF flag. It is
> defined in include/uapi/linux/mempolicy.h, so it looks visible to the users.
> But, man page doesn't mention it at all. And, the code in do_set_mempolicy()
> -> mpol_new() doesn't set it. It looks it is just set by two places:
>
>     - NUMA default policy (preferred_node_policy)
>
>     - When MPOL_MF_LAZY is passed in. But, it is not configurable from user
> since it is not valid MF

It was never exported to userspace because it was not clear how the
policy would be used sensibly outside the context of the default policy.

> So, actually it can't be set by user with set_mempolicy()/mbind() APIs,
> right? As long as the process' or vmas' policy is changed to non-default one
> (i.e. MPOL_BIND), those processes or vmas are *not* eligible for migrating
> with NUMA balancing anymore?

Correct because if the policy is MPOL_BIND, it's not defined how lazy
migration should behave.

--
Mel Gorman
SUSE Labs