* GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain recipe
@ 2020-05-14  2:40 Jon Mason
From: Jon Mason @ 2020-05-14  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm; +Cc: Joshua Watt, Denys Dmytriyenko, Diego Sueiro

There are a number of recipes floating around inside and outside of
Arm to support the GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain.  Specifically,
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-native_4.9.2015q3.bb
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi_7-2018-q2-update.bb
https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-rockchip/tree/recipes-devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi/gcc-arm-none-eabi-native_9-2019-q4-major.bb

After looking at the website
(https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads),
the latest version is 9-2019-q4-major.  Given this, I think the best
approach is to simply import the recipe from meta-rockchip into
meta-arm-toolchains and use that is the starting point.

Assuming everyone is fine with this, are their any other legacy
versions that are needed by other layers?

Thanks,
Jon

* Re: [meta-arm] GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain recipe
@ 2020-05-14  8:04 ` Khasim Mohammed
From: Khasim Mohammed @ 2020-05-14  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-arm, jdmason; +Cc: Joshua Watt, Denys Dmytriyenko, Diego Sueiro

Hi Jon,

---
> There are a number of recipes floating around inside and outside of

> Arm to support the GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain.  Specifically,

> https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-native_4.9.2015q3.bb

> https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi_7-2018-q2-update.bb

> https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-rockchip/tree/recipes-devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi/gcc-arm-none-eabi-native_9-2019-q4-major.bb

> After looking at the website

> (https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads),

> the latest version is 9-2019-q4-major.  Given this, I think the best

> approach is to simply import the recipe from meta-rockchip into

> meta-arm-toolchains and use that is the starting point.

Few software components are validated for a particular version of GCC though ideally it should work for latest but we won't get support from the respective teams if we switch to a different toolchain. So we need a mechanism to pull different versions of toolchains.

Having said that, I think it is better we start improvising meta-arm-toolchain with all required recipes instead of importing from meta-rockchip. In future we prefer meta-rockchip imports meta-arm-toolchain recipes.

As mentioned above SCP 2.6 needs a particular version : https://developer.arm.com/-/media/Files/downloads/gnu-rm/7-2018q2/gcc-arm-none-eabi-7-2018-q2-update-linux.tar.bz2

> Thanks,
> Jon

Regards,
Khasim

* Re: [meta-arm] GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain recipe
@ 2020-05-14  8:07   ` Bertrand Marquis
From: Bertrand Marquis @ 2020-05-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Khasim Mohammed, meta-arm
  Cc: jdmason, Joshua Watt, Denys Dmytriyenko, Diego Sueiro, nd

On 14 May 2020, at 09:04, Khasim Mohammed via lists.yoctoproject.org<http://lists.yoctoproject.org> <khasim.mohammed=arm.com@lists.yoctoproject.org<mailto:khasim.mohammed=arm.com@lists.yoctoproject.org>> wrote:

Hi Jon,

---
[...]

Is this a recommendation or is there a major incompatibility with an other version ?

Did you try with the latest version ?

It might well be that they tested with only one version and that’s why they recommend it but we cannot afford to have one particular compiler per package.

Bertrand

Thanks,
Jon

Regards,
Khasim

* Re: [meta-arm] GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain recipe
@ 2020-05-14  9:27     ` Khasim Mohammed
From: Khasim Mohammed @ 2020-05-14  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bertrand Marquis, meta-arm
  Cc: jdmason, Joshua Watt, Denys Dmytriyenko, Diego Sueiro, nd

________________________________
On 14 May 2020, at 09:04, Khasim Mohammed via lists.yoctoproject.org<http://lists.yoctoproject.org> <khasim.mohammed=arm.com@lists.yoctoproject.org<mailto:khasim.mohammed=arm.com@lists.yoctoproject.org>> wrote:

Hi Jon,

---
There are a number of recipes floating around inside and outside of

Arm to support the GNU Arm Embedded Toolchain.  Specifically,

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi-native_4.9.2015q3.bb

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-ti/tree/recipes-ti/devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi_7-2018-q2-update.bb

https://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-rockchip/tree/recipes-devtools/gcc-arm-none-eabi/gcc-arm-none-eabi-native_9-2019-q4-major.bb

After looking at the website

(https://developer.arm.com/tools-and-software/open-source-software/developer-tools/gnu-toolchain/gnu-rm/downloads),

the latest version is 9-2019-q4-major.  Given this, I think the best

approach is to simply import the recipe from meta-rockchip into

meta-arm-toolchains and use that is the starting point.

Few software components are validated for a particular version of GCC though ideally it should work for latest but we won't get support from the respective teams if we switch to a different toolchain. So we need a mechanism to pull different versions of toolchains.

Having said that, I think it is better we start improvising meta-arm-toolchain with all required recipes instead of importing from meta-rockchip. In future we prefer meta-rockchip imports meta-arm-toolchain recipes.

Assuming everyone is fine with this, are their any other legacy

versions that are needed by other layers?

As mentioned above SCP 2.6 needs a particular version : https://developer.arm.com/-/media/Files/downloads/gnu-rm/7-2018q2/gcc-arm-none-eabi-7-2018-q2-update-linux.tar.bz2

> Is this a recommendation or is there a major incompatibility with an other version ?
Actually on their portal they show 2019-q4 as supported version.

> Did you try with the latest version ?
Not yet,

> It might well be that they tested with only one version and that’s why they recommend it but we cannot afford to have one particular compiler per package.
I agree, I was only concerned about the validation, if we use the tested toolchain then I don't have to do thorough validation if I use different toolchain then validation will be on me :(

Let me give this a try

Bertrand

Regards,
Khasim