* [virtio] allocating device IDs without a vote
@ 2020-10-30 10:15 Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2020-10-30 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio; +Cc: virtio-comment

At the Virtio BoF at the virtual KVM forum, 2020, a recurring theme was
the difficulty contributors face in obtaining device IDs for new
devices. As allocating a new ID is a technicality, and can not break
existing devices, it does not sound too bad to skip a voting step in
that process.

I'd like to hear TC's take on such an idea.

This would be similar to the existing standing rule:

	Minor cleanups, including editorial formatting changes, spelling
	and typo fixes can be committed directly into git for approval as part
	of the next specification approval ballot.

--
MST

* Re: [virtio-comment] allocating device IDs without a vote
@ 2020-10-30 10:23 ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2020-10-30 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment

* Michael S. Tsirkin (mst@redhat.com) wrote:
> At the Virtio BoF at the virtual KVM forum, 2020, a recurring theme was
> the difficulty contributors face in obtaining device IDs for new
> devices. As allocating a new ID is a technicality, and can not break
> existing devices, it does not sound too bad to skip a voting step in
> that process.

It would seem reasonable to define what the expectations, if any are,
about the use of those IDs:

Is it expected that the allocator of such an ID would eventually
end a request to merge a spec for the device, or are they free
not to?

If merging is expected, then is it acceptable to recycle IDs that have
not been defined after n-Years.

Dave

> I'd like to hear TC's take on such an idea.
>
> This would be similar to the existing standing rule:
>
> 	Minor cleanups, including editorial formatting changes, spelling
> 	and typo fixes can be committed directly into git for approval as part
> 	of the next specification approval ballot.
>
> --
> MST
>

> This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
> OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.
>
> In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
> before posting.
>
> Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
> Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
> Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
> Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

* [virtio] Re: [virtio-comment] allocating device IDs without a vote
@ 2020-10-30 10:30   ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2020-10-30 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: virtio, virtio-comment

On 30.10.20 11:23, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Michael S. Tsirkin (mst@redhat.com) wrote:
>> At the Virtio BoF at the virtual KVM forum, 2020, a recurring theme was
>> the difficulty contributors face in obtaining device IDs for new
>> devices. As allocating a new ID is a technicality, and can not break
>> existing devices, it does not sound too bad to skip a voting step in
>> that process.
>
> It would seem reasonable to define what the expectations, if any are,
> about the use of those IDs:
>
> Is it expected that the allocator of such an ID would eventually
> end a request to merge a spec for the device, or are they free
> not to?
>
> If merging is expected, then is it acceptable to recycle IDs that have
> not been defined after n-Years.

Lowering the barrier for grabbing IDs too much and not establishing a
garbage collection mechanism can eventually shoot back, IMHO.

Jan

> Dave
>

>> I'd like to hear TC's take on such an idea.
>>
>> This would be similar to the existing standing rule:
>>
>> 	Minor cleanups, including editorial formatting changes, spelling
>> 	and typo fixes can be committed directly into git for approval as part
>> 	of the next specification approval ballot.
>>
>> --
>> MST
>>

>> This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
>> OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.
>>
>> In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
>> before posting.
>>
>> Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
>> Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
>> Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
>> Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

--
Siemens AG, T RDA IOT

* [virtio] Re: [virtio-comment] allocating device IDs without a vote
@ 2020-10-30 12:16     ` Cornelia Huck
From: Cornelia Huck @ 2020-10-30 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Kiszka
  Cc: Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Michael S. Tsirkin, virtio, virtio-comment

On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:30:09 +0100
Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

> On 30.10.20 11:23, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Michael S. Tsirkin (mst@redhat.com) wrote:
> >> At the Virtio BoF at the virtual KVM forum, 2020, a recurring theme was
> >> the difficulty contributors face in obtaining device IDs for new
> >> devices. As allocating a new ID is a technicality, and can not break
> >> existing devices, it does not sound too bad to skip a voting step in
> >> that process.
> >
> > It would seem reasonable to define what the expectations, if any are,
> > about the use of those IDs:
> >
> > Is it expected that the allocator of such an ID would eventually
> > end a request to merge a spec for the device, or are they free
> > not to?
> >
> > If merging is expected, then is it acceptable to recycle IDs that have
> > not been defined after n-Years.
> >

> Lowering the barrier for grabbing IDs too much and not establishing a
> garbage collection mechanism can eventually shoot back, IMHO.

Maybe we really need two things:

- a "private" range, that anyone can use for playing etc.
- an easy way to request an ID, combined with some kind of garbage
  collection

We currently do have some IDs without a spec, but we really need to
keep some of them reserved, as there are already (sometimes legacy)
devices out there.

Perhaps there needs to be some kind of annotation? If you reserve an ID
via the quick mechanism, it gets a "reserved until YYYY-MM-DD", and
that tag gets removed when a proper spec is merged? For
"in-the-wild-do-not-reuse" IDs, we'd still require a vote, as the
default should be to have a proper spec if you want something outside
of the private namespace.

* Re: [virtio] Re: [virtio-comment] allocating device IDs without a vote
@ 2020-10-30 13:51       ` Mihai Carabas
From: Mihai Carabas @ 2020-10-30 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cornelia Huck, Jan Kiszka
  Cc: Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Michael S. Tsirkin, virtio, virtio-comment

On 10/30/2020 2:16 PM, Cornelia Huck wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 11:30:09 +0100
> Jan Kiszka <jan.kiszka@siemens.com> wrote:

>>> It would seem reasonable to define what the expectations, if any are,
>>> about the use of those IDs:
>>>
>>> Is it expected that the allocator of such an ID would eventually
>>> end a request to merge a spec for the device, or are they free
>>> not to?
>>>
>>> If merging is expected, then is it acceptable to recycle IDs that have
>>> not been defined after n-Years.
>>>

>> Lowering the barrier for grabbing IDs too much and not establishing a
>> garbage collection mechanism can eventually shoot back, IMHO.
>
> Maybe we really need two things:
>
> - a "private" range, that anyone can use for playing etc.
> - an easy way to request an ID, combined with some kind of garbage
>    collection
>
> We currently do have some IDs without a spec, but we really need to
> keep some of them reserved, as there are already (sometimes legacy)
> devices out there.
>
> Perhaps there needs to be some kind of annotation? If you reserve an ID
> via the quick mechanism, it gets a "reserved until YYYY-MM-DD", and
> that tag gets removed when a proper spec is merged? For
> "in-the-wild-do-not-reuse" IDs, we'd still require a vote, as the
> default should be to have a proper spec if you want something outside
> of the private namespace.

I agree with Cornelia and Jan.

Thank you,
Mihai Carabas

* [virtio] Re: [virtio-comment] allocating device IDs without a vote
@ 2020-10-30 14:38       ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2020-10-30 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cornelia Huck
  Cc: Jan Kiszka, Dr. David Alan Gilbert, Michael S. Tsirkin, virtio,