From: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
To: Dario Faggioli <dfaggioli@suse.com>
Cc: Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com>,
	Giuseppe Eletto <giuseppe.eletto@edu.unito.it>,
	linux-trace-devel@vger.kernel.org,
	xen-devel@lists.xenproject.org,
	Enrico Bini <enrico.bini@unito.it>
Subject: Re: A KernelShark plugin for Xen traces analysis
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 09:29:05 -0400	[thread overview]

On Thu, 15 Apr 2021 02:50:53 +0200
Dario Faggioli <dfaggioli@suse.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2021-04-14 at 15:07 -0400, Steven Rostedt wrote:
> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 19:11:19 +0100
> > Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@citrix.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Where the plugin (ought to) live depends heavily on whether we
> > > consider
> > > the trace format a stable ABI or not.
> >
> > Agreed. Like the VMware plugin to handle ESX traces. It's internal
> > and not
> > published as the API is not stable.
> >
> Mmm... Does this imply that Linux's tracepoints should be considered a
> stable ABI then? :-D :-D :-D

Some already are. Like the sched_switch tracepoint. That's one of the
reasons Peter Zijlstra now hates exported tracepoints.

> > But if it ever becomes stable, and you would like it to live with
> > KernelShark, we are looking to have a place to store third party
> > plugins.
> >
> Sure. TBH, either Xen or KernelShark main or plugin repositories would
> be fine for me.
>
> Which doesn't mean we should choose randomly, as clearly each solution
> has pros and cons that needs to be evaluated.
>
> I'm just saying that we would prefer the plugin to end up in one of
> those places, rather than remaining its own project. And of course
> we're up for maintaining it, wherever it lands. :-)

Like I said, we can have a third party repository within the KernelShark
repo (or along side of it). As a claws-mail user, I like their method. They
have a bunch of plugins you can add that they have in their repo, but those
plugins are maintained by different people.

-- Steve