* Mining Maintainers mentorship program - mentee Selection tasks
@ 2021-07-17  4:59 Parvathy H
From: Parvathy H @ 2021-07-17  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lukas.bulwahn, linux-kernel-mentees

I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would like towork on the tasks for the mentee selection.

Thanks & Regards
Parvathy H

* Re: Mining Maintainers mentorship program - mentee Selection tasks
@ 2021-07-17  6:35 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-07-17  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parvathy H; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 6:59 AM Parvathy H <parvathyhiyer@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would like towork on the tasks for the mentee selection.

Thanks for your interest.

For the mentee selection, please work on the following exercise:

First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
the x86-defconfig build configuration.

There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.

Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?

Now, search for specific maintainer entries; Please answer: Who are
the maintainers and reviewers of the following sections?

DMA BUFFER SHARING FRAMEWORK
DRM DRIVER FOR ARM PL111 CLCD
HARMONY SOUND DRIVER
IOC3 ETHERNET DRIVER
KASAN
KFIFO
MAILBOX API
MAN-PAGES: MANUAL PAGES FOR LINUX -- Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7
SQUASHFS FILE SYSTEM
THANKO'S RAREMONO AM/FM/SW RADIO RECEIVER USB DRIVER
TIPC NETWORK LAYER

Please let me know about your answers and always send your responses
to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list.

After that first exercise, exercises 2 and 3 will follow.

Lukas

* Re: Mining Maintainers mentorship program - mentee Selection tasks
@ 2021-07-17 14:01   ` Parvathy H
From: Parvathy H @ 2021-07-17 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn, linux-kernel-mentees

On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 08:35:31AM +0200, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 17, 2021 at 6:59 AM Parvathy H <parvathyhiyer@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am interested in the Mining Maintainers mentorship program and I would like towork on the tasks for the mentee selection.
> >

> Thanks for your interest.
>
> For the mentee selection, please work on the following exercise:
>
> First, download the kernel git repository and compile the kernel with
> the x86-defconfig build configuration.
>
> There is a file called MAINTAINERS in the root directory of the git
> repository. Read the introduction at the beginning of the MAINTAINERS
> file and understand the content in the file and its organisation.
>
> Explain in your words: What is stored in the MAINTAINERS file?
>
> Now, search for specific maintainer entries; Please answer: Who are
> the maintainers and reviewers of the following sections?
>
> DMA BUFFER SHARING FRAMEWORK
> DRM DRIVER FOR ARM PL111 CLCD
> HARMONY SOUND DRIVER
> IOC3 ETHERNET DRIVER
> KASAN
> KFIFO
> MAILBOX API
> MAN-PAGES: MANUAL PAGES FOR LINUX -- Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7
> SQUASHFS FILE SYSTEM
> THANKO'S RAREMONO AM/FM/SW RADIO RECEIVER USB DRIVER
> TIPC NETWORK LAYER
>
> Please let me know about your answers and always send your responses
> to the linux-kernel-mentees mailing list.
>
> After that first exercise, exercises 2 and 3 will follow.
>

> Lukas

Hi,

WHAT is stored in the MAINTAINERS file
_______________________________________

MAINTAINERS file contains information about maintainers and some tips for those who want to submit patches.

First part of the file gives some general gudelines to follow while submitting patches is provided in the MAINTAINERS file.

In the next part, decriptions used and their meaning is given.

In the next part, the list of maintainers corresponding to different sections are given. This part contains information like maintainer's mail ID, mailing-list, status (whether the area has a maintainer or not, or is it an obselte subsystem etc), files and directories wildcard patterns etc. This information is listed under the relevant section name.

Maintainers and reviewers of given sections

DMA BUFFER SHARING FRAMEWORK
        Maintainers:
        1. Sumit Semwal <sumit.semwal@linaro.org>
        2. Christian König <christian.koenig@amd.com>

DRM DRIVER FOR ARM PL111 CLCD
        Maintainers:
        1. Emma Anholt <emma@anholt.net>

HARMONY SOUND DRIVER
        Individual maintainer/reviewer detail not mentioned
        Mailing List: linux-parisc@vger.kernel.org

IOC3 ETHERNET DRIVER
        Maintainers:
        1. Ralf Baechle <ralf@linux-mips.org>
KASAN
        Maintainers:
        1. Andrey Ryabinin <ryabinin.a.a@gmail.com>
        Reviewers:
        1. Alexander Potapenko <glider@google.com>
        2. Andrey Konovalov <andreyknvl@gmail.com>
        3. Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@google.com>

KFIFO
        Maintainers:
        1. Stefani Seibold <stefani@seibold.net>

MAILBOX API
        Maintainer:
        1. Jassi Brar <jassisinghbrar@gmail.com>

MAN-PAGES: MANUAL PAGES FOR LINUX -- Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7
        Maintainers:
        1. Michael Kerrisk <mtk.manpages@gmail.com>

SQUASHFS FILE SYSTEM
        Maintainers:
        1. Phillip Lougher <phillip@squashfs.org.uk>
THANKO'S RAREMONO AM/FM/SW RADIO RECEIVER USB DRIVER
        Maintainers:
        1. Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>

TIPC NETWORK LAYER
        Maintainers:
        1. Jon Maloy <jmaloy@redhat.com>
        2. Ying Xue <ying.xue@windriver.com>

Thanks & Regards
Parvathy

* Re: Mining Maintainers Mentorship program - Mentee Selection tasks
@ 2021-07-17 19:11   ` Abhinav Dubey
From: Abhinav Dubey @ 2021-07-17 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lukas Bulwahn; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

I have compiled the latest stable kernel version 5.13.2 with defconfig X86
architecture on ubuntu 20.04 vagrant VM.

The MAINTAINERS file can be divided into 3 sections to understand what it
is.

   1.

   The first section is providing instructions for people who want to
   submit patches to the kernel. According to the instructions, thorough
   testing of the patches should be done and all concerned people should be
   CCed. Variable names and formatting should be according to the existing
   coding style. There shouldn’t be any ambiguity as to who owns the patch
   (employer or employee).

   1.

   The second section is a list of abbreviations used in the file. For
   example, M for Maintainer, R for Reviewer, S for Status of the code, B for
   the URI of the web page for bug-related things, F for file directory
   pattern, L for the Mailing list, T for Tree type and location.

   1.

   The third section is the actual list of Maintainers of the different
   parts of Kernel distinguished by their areas. This list should be in
   Alphabetical order.

There were no Reviewers mentioned for the sections given in the mail,
Maintainers are mentioned below.

ACPI FAN DRIVER

Zhang Rui <rui.zhang@intel.com>

AF9013 MEDIA DRIVER

Antti Palosaari <crope@iki.fi>

BROADCOM BNXT_EN 50 GIGABIT ETHERNET DRIVER

Michael Chan <michael.chan@broadcom.com>

DRM DRIVER FOR VIRTUALBOX VIRTUAL GPU

Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com>

INTEL KEEM BAY DRM DRIVER

Anitha Chrisanthus <anitha.chrisanthus@intel.com>

Edmund Dea <edmund.j.dea@intel.com>

LICENSES and SPDX stuff

Thomas Gleixner <tglx@linutronix.de>

Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>

M68K ON APPLE MACINTOSH

Joshua Thompson <funaho@jurai.org>

MEMBARRIER SUPPORT

Mathieu Desnoyers <mathieu.desnoyers@efficios.com>

Paul E. McKenney <paulmck@kernel.org>

MICROBLAZE ARCHITECTURE

Michal Simek <monstr@monstr.eu>

RESET CONTROLLER FRAMEWORK

Philipp Zabel <p.zabel@pengutronix.de>

*Thanks & Regards*
Abhinav Dubey
Contact - abhinavbhardwaj510@gmail.com

* Re: Mining Maintainers Mentorship program - Mentee Selection tasks
@ 2021-07-16 20:33 ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2021-07-16 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Dubey; +Cc: linux-kernel-mentees

@ 2021-07-16 19:22 Abhinav Dubey