* bitbake-layers create-layer could be mentioned in common-tasks.html
@ 2021-12-01 14:11 Giovanni Simoni
From: Giovanni Simoni @ 2021-12-01 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: docs

Hello,

I'm experimenting with yocto, and I found that a layer can be created
with `bitbake-layers create-layer`.

I would suggest that this information is be mentioned in the
common-tasks.html page, paragraph 3.1.1 ("Creating Your Own Layer")
[3], point 3 ("Create a Layer Configuration File").

The current documentation suggests to grab and modify the
conf/layer.conf from an existing layer.  As a newbie, I would prefer
to know the existence of the bitbake-layers tool, and to use the
layer.conf generated by it, rather than copying from an arbitray one.

Cheers
/ Giovanni

[1]: http://docs.yoctoproject.org/dev-manual/common-tasks.html#creating-your-own-layer

* Re: [docs] bitbake-layers create-layer could be mentioned in common-tasks.html
@ 2021-12-03 10:20 ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2021-12-03 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Giovanni Simoni; +Cc: docs

Hi Giovanni,

Thanks for the feedback!

On Wed, Dec 01, 2021 at 03:11:40PM +0100, Giovanni Simoni wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I'm experimenting with yocto, and I found that a layer can be created
> with `bitbake-layers create-layer`.
>
> I would suggest that this information is be mentioned in the
> common-tasks.html page, paragraph 3.1.1 ("Creating Your Own Layer")
> [3], point 3 ("Create a Layer Configuration File").
>
> The current documentation suggests to grab and modify the
> conf/layer.conf from an existing layer.  As a newbie, I would prefer
> to know the existence of the bitbake-layers tool, and to use the
> layer.conf generated by it, rather than copying from an arbitray one.

As far as I could tell, all latest doc versions mention that this
section is explaining how to do the setup manually but that there are
tools to make that automatically for you, c.f.
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/3.1.12/dev-manual/dev-manual-common-tasks.html#creating-your-own-layer
"""
It is very easy to create your own layers to use with the OpenEmbedded
build system. The Yocto Project ships with tools that speed up creating
layers. This section describes the steps you perform by hand to create
layers so that you can better understand them. For information about the
layer-creation tools, see the “Creating a new BSP Layer Using the
bitbake-layers Script” section in the Yocto Project Board Support
Package (BSP) Developer’s Guide and the “Creating a General Layer Using
the bitbake-layers Script” section further down in this manual.
"""

What I can offer is to make the above sentences into a note so that it
stands out a bit more, would have this helped? See
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/3.1.12/dev-manual/dev-manual-common-tasks.html#making-sure-your-layer-is-compatible-with-yocto-project
for how a note would look like.

Cheers,
Quentin