* Question about "masquerade"
@ 2022-05-09 14:37 Kamil Jońca
From: Kamil Jońca @ 2022-05-09 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Maybe I miss something obvious in documentation.
How stable is "masquerade"
I know that it translates addresses.
But what about ports? Changes them somehow? Keepos original?
KJ

--
http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/

* Re: Question about "masquerade"
@ 2022-05-09 16:49 ` Florian Westphal
From: Florian Westphal @ 2022-05-09 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kamil Jońca; +Cc: netfilter

Kamil Jońca <kjonca@op.pl> wrote:

> Maybe I miss something obvious in documentation.
> How stable is "masquerade"
> I know that it translates addresses.
> But what about ports? Changes them somehow? Keepos original?

Depends.  Default behaviour is to change the port if keeping it
the same would result in a conflicting mapping.

See MASQUERADE --random in iptables-extensions man page or
random flag in nft man page.

* Re: Question about "masquerade"
@ 2022-05-10 11:34 ` Maximiliano Estudies
From: Maximiliano Estudies @ 2022-05-10 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi Kamil,

From the nftwiki docs: "Masquerade is a special case of SNAT, where
the source address is automagically set to the address of the output
interface", so it's just like SNAT without specifying the source
address which then gets assigned dynamically depending on the output
interface. You con also configure the port with "masquerade to :1024"

El lun, 9 may 2022 a las 16:38, Kamil Jońca (<kjonca@op.pl>) escribió:

> Maybe I miss something obvious in documentation.
> How stable is "masquerade"
> I know that it translates addresses.
> But what about ports? Changes them somehow? Keepos original?
> KJ
>
> --
> http://wolnelektury.pl/wesprzyj/teraz/

--