* checkpatch.pl
@ 2021-04-07  7:10 Fabio M. De Francesco
From: Fabio M. De Francesco @ 2021-04-07  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

When I run checkpatch.pl I get the following message that clutters the output with a lot of traceback lines. Obviously, it makes its output a bit harder to read and it annoys me, however it seems that the script does its work and spots the violations of the coding rules.

lines ...-... Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "scripts/spdxcheck.py", line 6, in <module>
    from ply import lex, yacc
ImportError: No module named ply

What I understand is that a Python script, that is called spdxcheck.py and that is called by checkpatch.pl (Perl calling Python, lovely... :)), can't find a module called "ply".

My laptop runs openSuSE Tumbleweed. It has two directories named "ply", one in /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pycparser/ and the other in /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/. "zipper" (the openSuSE package manager) says that I have two packages already installed: python38-ply and python-ply-doc (Python Lex and Yacc), therefore I suppose I have the modules that checkpatch->spdxcheck is looking for but it cannot find them (missing environment variable?).

Can someone, please, help me to solve this issue?

Thanks,

Fabio

* Re: checkpatch.pl
@ 2021-08-11 21:09 ` Igor Zhbanov
From: Igor Zhbanov @ 2021-08-11 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi Fabio,

It seems that the script uses python2, so you need to install "python-ply"
package.

среда, 7 апреля 2021 г. в 10:10:40 UTC+3, fmdefr...@gmail.com:

> When I run checkpatch.pl I get the following message that clutters the
> output with a lot of traceback lines. Obviously, it makes its output a bit
> harder to read and it annoys me, however it seems that the script does its
> work and spots the violations of the coding rules.
>
> lines ...-... Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "scripts/spdxcheck.py", line 6, in <module>
> from ply import lex, yacc
> ImportError: No module named ply
>
> What I understand is that a Python script, that is called spdxcheck.py and
> that is called by checkpatch.pl (Perl calling Python, lovely... :)),
> can't find a module called "ply".
>
> My laptop runs openSuSE Tumbleweed. It has two directories named "ply",
> one in /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/pycparser/ and the other in
> /usr/lib/python3.8/site-packages/. "zipper" (the openSuSE package manager)
> says that I have two packages already installed: python38-ply and
> python-ply-doc (Python Lex and Yacc), therefore I suppose I have the
> modules that checkpatch->spdxcheck is looking for but it cannot find them
> (missing environment variable?).
>
> Can someone, please, help me to solve this issue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fabio

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Re: checkpatch.pl
@ 2021-08-14 18:30   ` Fabio M. De Francesco
From: Fabio M. De Francesco @ 2021-08-14 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel; +Cc: Igor Zhbanov

Hi Igor,

On Wednesday, August 11, 2021 11:09:19 PM CEST Igor Zhbanov wrote:
> Hi Fabio,
>
> It seems that the script uses python2, so you need to install "python-ply"
> package.
>
> > [...]

Thanks for your reply, though I've already been able to solve this problem
some months ago :-)

It was only due to checkpatch.pl not able to find where "python-ply" had been
(correctly) installed. All that I had to do was to make a symbolic link to the
target directory where the module resides.

Regards,

Fabio