* [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-11 20:18 Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-09-11 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, Benoît Canet

The time it takes for block layer patches to be reviewed and merged is a
concern.  Kevin and I want to discuss this issue, which was raised by
Benoit, on the mailing list.

The volume of patches is so high that Kevin and I cannot review them
all in a timely manner.  We are adjusting the process as a result.

Summary
-------
From now on, 1 Reviewed-by from another contributor is required
before Kevin and I will look at patches.

  Hint: CC a regular contributor (not Kevin or me) who you think might
  be able to review your patches.

This will:
  1. Spread the load of patch review.
  2. Let Kevin and me focus on patches that are ready to be merged.

Caveats:
  1. Expect a few weeks before everyone has adjusted and improvement
     is visible.
  2. Exceptions may be made such as for security or critical bug fixes.

Read on for the rationale and more details...

Background
----------
Both regular contributors and newcomers should experience quick code
review feedback so patches can be iterated and merged at a rapid pace.

Kevin and I co-maintain the block layer.  Each week one of us is on
full-time duty to review patches, investigate qemu.git build or test
failures, and participate in the release process.

The volume of patches is so high that we have a hard time consistently
providing review feedback within a reasonable timeframe.

A reminder why maintainers review patches: they are familiar with the
code and often identify bugs before the patches are committed.  They
also take a big picture view of the codebase and can advise on the
design of code, whereas individual contributors may not be aware of the
activities in other areas of the code.

The challenge is making this scale.  There are two ways to achieve this:

1. Increase Kevin and my productivity
2. Add more resources

Increasing productivity
-----------------------
There are 3 time-consuming activities:
1. Replying to patches that are fundamentally broken
2. Screening patches that do not meet the code submission guidelines
   http://qemu-project.org/Contribute/SubmitAPatch
3. Bisecting build or test failures

If Kevin and I spend our time dealing with patches that cannot be merged
we have less time to spend on realistic candidates.

#1 can be solved by requiring review from the community.  This gets
patches out of the way that need to be redone with more care.

#2 and #3 can be solved by automated builds and tests.  I have a plan
for a bot that evaluates every patch series on the mailing list.  This
way no human time is spent verifying that the patch meets the basic
requirements.

As a result of eliminating these time-consuming activities, Kevin and I
can focus on merging the good patch series.

Adding more resources
---------------------
Unfortunately, it is not easy to add more co-maintainers without losing
the big picture and sacrificing code quality.  Instead the focus is to
delegate sections of the codebase, as was done successfully with nbd,
sheepdog, vmdk, etc.

Delegating has natural boundaries like block drivers or source files.
It is not possible to add more people arbitrarily and still get good
results.

The alternative is to scale patch review by requiring 1 Reviewed-by
before Kevin and I will look at a patch.  Contributors need to
participate in code review amongst each other in order to get code
merged.

To keep Reviewed-by tags meaningful, they can only be accepted from
regular contributors.  If Kevin or I find the review quality from a
person is consistently poor, we will talk to them and may not count
them.

Patch review priorities
-----------------------
Benoit asked what factors influence which patch series get reviewed.  I
think this is less relevant with the new 1 R-b rule, but others may be
wondering the same thing.

Kevin and I use multiple factors and make a subjective decision when
selecting patches to review.  This includes:
 * Is it a bug fix?
 * Is the patch series short?
 * Does it touch familiar parts of the codebase?
 * Does the contributor usually submit high-quality code?
 * Is the design straightforward?
 * Does the contributor participate in code review?

There is no formula or algorithm that Kevin or I want to commit to,
because it would make the already tough review process even less
motivating.

The problem is that traffic is too high for the current process, not
that the patch selection algorithm isn't fair.  That is why it's
necessary to scale the review process (what the rest of this email is
about).

EOF
---
If you have feedback or questions, let us know.  The process can be
tweaked as time goes on so we can continue to improve.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 473 bytes --]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-11 21:22 ` Benoît Canet
From: Benoît Canet @ 2014-09-11 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Hajnoczi; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, qemu-devel

> EOF
> ---
> If you have feedback or questions, let us know.  The process can be
> tweaked as time goes on so we can continue to improve.

Great mail.

Now we need a wiki entry describing the process.
Also we need something reminding who is the maintainer of the current week.

Best regards

Benoît

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  6:42   ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2014-09-12  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benoît Canet; +Cc: Kevin Wolf, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

Benoît Canet <benoit.canet@irqsave.net> writes:

>> EOF
>> ---
>> If you have feedback or questions, let us know.  The process can be
>> tweaked as time goes on so we can continue to improve.
>
> Great mail.

Yup.  Let's see how it works out.

> Now we need a wiki entry describing the process.
> Also we need something reminding who is the maintainer of the current week.

Usually obvious from the "applied to my tree" messages.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  7:02     ` Gonglei (Arei)
From: Gonglei (Arei) @ 2014-09-12  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Markus Armbruster, Benoît Canet
  Cc: Kevin Wolf, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

Hi,

> Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches
> merged
>
> Benoît Canet <benoit.canet@irqsave.net> writes:
>
> >> EOF
> >> ---
> >> If you have feedback or questions, let us know.  The process can be
> >> tweaked as time goes on so we can continue to improve.
> >
> > Great mail.
>
> Yup.  Let's see how it works out.

Yes. I can't agree more with you.

Recently I posted some patch series, but I can't get maintainer's feedback in time.
That make me feel soulless TBH. I know maintainers are very busy usually. They
need to develop their own code and also need review the contributors' code.
If some other peoples can spread the load of patch review, that's a great thing IMHO.

> > Now we need a wiki entry describing the process.
> > Also we need something reminding who is the maintainer of the current
> week.
>
> Usually obvious from the "applied to my tree" messages.

Some exciting words! :)

Best regards,
-Gonglei

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  8:14       ` Kevin Wolf
From: Kevin Wolf @ 2014-09-12  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gonglei (Arei)
  Cc: Benoît Canet, Markus Armbruster, Stefan Hajnoczi, qemu-devel

Am 12.09.2014 um 09:02 hat Gonglei (Arei) geschrieben:
> Hi,
>
> > Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches
> > merged

> > > Great mail.
> >
> > Yup.  Let's see how it works out.
> >

> Yes. I can't agree more with you.
>
> Recently I posted some patch series, but I can't get maintainer's feedback in time.
> That make me feel soulless TBH. I know maintainers are very busy usually. They
> need to develop their own code and also need review the contributors' code.
> If some other peoples can spread the load of patch review, that's a great thing IMHO.

This is what Stefan's mail was actually for in some way: Letting you
know that you should get a Reviewed-by first.

At least for me, to be honest, this isn't a truly new process. I haven't
been consistently requiring a Reviewed-by, but when I see someone else
discuss a patch series and I don't have much time, I may scan the
discussion to chime in if there is something fundamentally wrong, but
otherwise let the author and the reviewer sort it out and wait until the
discussion has settled. If I don't see a discussion, I might wait a few
days for one.

I'll probably keep reviewing paches without an R-b when they are simple
or in my area of expertise (like qcow2), like any other reviewer should.
The point is just that when I don't, before you ping us maintainers
about a patch, try to get a good review from some other contributor.

> > > Now we need a wiki entry describing the process.
> > > Also we need something reminding who is the maintainer of the current
> > week.
> >
> > Usually obvious from the "applied to my tree" messages.

You should CC both of us anyway (the patch might not be merged in the
same week), so it doesn't matter that much who'll be handling it.

Kevin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  8:32         ` Gonglei (Arei)
From: Gonglei (Arei) @ 2014-09-12  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Am 12.09.2014 um 09:02 hat Gonglei (Arei) geschrieben:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches
> > > merged

> > > Yup.  Let's see how it works out.
> > >

> > Yes. I can't agree more with you.
> >
> > Recently I posted some patch series, but I can't get maintainer's feedback in
> time.
> > That make me feel soulless TBH. I know maintainers are very busy usually.
> They
> > need to develop their own code and also need review the contributors' code.
> > If some other peoples can spread the load of patch review, that's a great
> thing IMHO.
>
> This is what Stefan's mail was actually for in some way: Letting you
> know that you should get a Reviewed-by first.
>
> At least for me, to be honest, this isn't a truly new process. I haven't
> been consistently requiring a Reviewed-by, but when I see someone else
> discuss a patch series and I don't have much time, I may scan the
> discussion to chime in if there is something fundamentally wrong, but
> otherwise let the author and the reviewer sort it out and wait until the
> discussion has settled. If I don't see a discussion, I might wait a few
> days for one.

Good method. :)

> I'll probably keep reviewing paches without an R-b when they are simple
> or in my area of expertise (like qcow2), like any other reviewer should.
> The point is just that when I don't, before you ping us maintainers
> about a patch, try to get a good review from some other contributor.

But there's a problem that a patch may have not get a review
from other contributors in some areas, maybe only few people worked on it.
After a few weeks, maintainers can give some response to author if
the author is pinging...?

Best regards,
-Gonglei

@ 2014-09-12  8:45           ` Kevin Wolf
From: Kevin Wolf @ 2014-09-12  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gonglei (Arei)
Am 12.09.2014 um 10:32 hat Gonglei (Arei) geschrieben:

If you try and still fail to get review after a few weeks, sure, talk to
us and we'll find a solution.

But keep in mind that if only few people have worked on the code, Stefan
and I probably haven't either. So automatically delegating all such
cases for us to review isn't going to be helpful, because reviewing
patches to code that you don't know is one of the most time consuming
activities. Spreading them over more contributors is the goal of this
change.

Kevin

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  8:55             ` Gonglei (Arei)
From: Gonglei (Arei) @ 2014-09-12  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
> Am 12.09.2014 um 10:32 hat Gonglei (Arei) geschrieben:

OK.

> But keep in mind that if only few people have worked on the code, Stefan
> and I probably haven't either. So automatically delegating all such
> cases for us to review isn't going to be helpful, because reviewing
> patches to code that you don't know is one of the most time consuming
> activities. Spreading them over more contributors is the goal of this
> change.

Understand. Thanks for your patient answer! I think it is helpful for
other contributors too. :)

Best regards,
-Gonglei

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  9:01           ` Markus Armbruster
From: Markus Armbruster @ 2014-09-12  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gonglei (Arei); +Cc: Kevin Wolf, Benoît Canet, qemu-devel, Stefan Hajnoczi

"Gonglei (Arei)" <arei.gonglei@huawei.com> writes:

>> From: Kevin Wolf [mailto:kwolf@redhat.com]
[...]
>> I'll probably keep reviewing paches without an R-b when they are simple
>> or in my area of expertise (like qcow2), like any other reviewer should.
>> The point is just that when I don't, before you ping us maintainers
>> about a patch, try to get a good review from some other contributor.
>>
> But there's a problem that a patch may have not get a review
> from other contributors in some areas, maybe only few people worked on it.
> After a few weeks, maintainers can give some response to author if
> the author is pinging...?

If you're having difficulties getting a satisfactory review, and you
don't know whom to ask for one, then asking for help is fair.  I'd ask
the list, cc'ing my best guess at who could be willing to help with
finding reviewers.  The guess generally include maintainers.

[...]

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  9:06             ` Gonglei (Arei)
From: Gonglei (Arei) @ 2014-09-12  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
> >> I'll probably keep reviewing paches without an R-b when they are simple
> >> or in my area of expertise (like qcow2), like any other reviewer should.
> >> The point is just that when I don't, before you ping us maintainers
> >> about a patch, try to get a good review from some other contributor.
> >>
> > But there's a problem that a patch may have not get a review
> > from other contributors in some areas, maybe only few people worked on it.
> > After a few weeks, maintainers can give some response to author if
> > the author is pinging...?
>
> If you're having difficulties getting a satisfactory review, and you
> don't know whom to ask for one, then asking for help is fair.  I'd ask
> the list, cc'ing my best guess at who could be willing to help with
> finding reviewers.  The guess generally include maintainers.

Yes. Indeed!

Best regards,
-Gonglei

* Re: [Qemu-devel] New requirement for getting block layer patches merged
@ 2014-09-12  9:13         ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2014-09-12  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Wolf
  Cc: Benoît Canet, Gonglei (Arei), Markus Armbruster, qemu-devel