* Announcing ConnMan.net
@ 2009-06-23 16:46 ` Marcel Holtmann
From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2009-06-23 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless, netdev; +Cc: jukka.rissanen

Intel and Nokia are pleased to jointly launch the ConnMan project, an
open source project to accelerate and expand development of Internet
connection management for Linux Devices. ConnMan will be utilized as a
technology within Moblin and Maemo. Connman.net is now the place to
bring developers together who are interested in furthering the
development of Internet connection management within Linux. Review the
source code for more information. ConnMan is licensed under GPLv2, and
provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within Linux
devices. ConnMan is a fully modular system that can be extended, through
plugins, to support all kinds of wired or wireless technologies.
Configuration methods, like DHCP and domain name resolving, are
implemented using plug-ins as well. The plug-in approach allows for easy
adaption and modification for various use cases. Nokia and Intel will
jointly maintain the ConnMan project. We'd like to invite all developers
to join the connman.net effort and community.

Marcel Holtmann, Intel Open Source Technology Center
Jukka Rissanen, Nokia Devices, Maemo Software

From: Marcel Holtmann @ 2009-06-23 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, netdev-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA
  Cc: jukka.rissanen-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w

[...]

* Re: Announcing ConnMan.net
@ 2009-06-23 16:55   ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-06-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-wireless, netdev, jukka.rissanen

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 9:46 AM, Marcel
Holtmann<holtmann@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> Intel and Nokia are pleased to jointly launch the ConnMan project, an
> open source project to accelerate and expand development of Internet
> connection management for Linux Devices. ConnMan will be utilized as a
> technology within Moblin and Maemo. Connman.net is now the place to
> bring developers together who are interested in furthering the
> development of Internet connection management within Linux. Review the
> source code for more information. ConnMan is licensed under GPLv2, and
> provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within Linux
> devices. ConnMan is a fully modular system that can be extended, through
> plugins, to support all kinds of wired or wireless technologies.
> Configuration methods, like DHCP and domain name resolving, are
> implemented using plug-ins as well. The plug-in approach allows for easy
> adaption and modification for various use cases. Nokia and Intel will
> jointly maintain the ConnMan project. We'd like to invite all developers
> to join the connman.net effort and community.

Here's a wiki for it:

http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/connman

Can we get a link to it from the home page?

  Luis

From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2009-06-23 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann
  Cc: linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	netdev-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,
	jukka.rissanen-xNZwKgViW5gAvxtiuMwx3w

@ 2009-06-23 17:51   ` Nick Kossifidis
From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2009-06-23 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-wireless, netdev, jukka.rissanen

2009/6/23 Marcel Holtmann <holtmann@linux.intel.com>:
> Intel and Nokia are pleased to jointly launch the ConnMan project, an
> open source project to accelerate and expand development of Internet
> connection management for Linux Devices. ConnMan will be utilized as a
> technology within Moblin and Maemo. Connman.net is now the place to
> bring developers together who are interested in furthering the
> development of Internet connection management within Linux. Review the
> source code for more information. ConnMan is licensed under GPLv2, and
> provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within Linux
> devices. ConnMan is a fully modular system that can be extended, through
> plugins, to support all kinds of wired or wireless technologies.
> Configuration methods, like DHCP and domain name resolving, are
> implemented using plug-ins as well. The plug-in approach allows for easy
> adaption and modification for various use cases. Nokia and Intel will
> jointly maintain the ConnMan project. We'd like to invite all developers
> to join the connman.net effort and community.
>
> Marcel Holtmann, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> Jukka Rissanen, Nokia Devices, Maemo Software

Cool, thank you for your efforts ;-)

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)

From: Nick Kossifidis @ 2009-06-23 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann
  Cc: linux-wireless-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA,

2009/6/23 Marcel Holtmann <holtmann-VuQAYsv1563Yd54FQh9/CA@public.gmane.org>:
> Intel and Nokia are pleased to jointly launch the ConnMan project, an
> open source project to accelerate and expand development of Internet
> connection management for Linux Devices. ConnMan will be utilized as a
> technology within Moblin and Maemo. Connman.net is now the place to
> bring developers together who are interested in furthering the
> development of Internet connection management within Linux. Review the
> source code for more information. ConnMan is licensed under GPLv2, and
> provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within Linux
> devices. ConnMan is a fully modular system that can be extended, through
> plugins, to support all kinds of wired or wireless technologies.
> Configuration methods, like DHCP and domain name resolving, are
> implemented using plug-ins as well. The plug-in approach allows for easy
> adaption and modification for various use cases. Nokia and Intel will
> jointly maintain the ConnMan project. We'd like to invite all developers
> to join the connman.net effort and community.
>
> Marcel Holtmann, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> Jukka Rissanen, Nokia Devices, Maemo Software

Cool, thank you for your efforts ;-)

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)
Nick

* Re: Announcing ConnMan.net
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
  (?)
@ 2009-06-25 14:39 ` Pádraig Brady
From: Pádraig Brady @ 2009-06-25 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcel Holtmann; +Cc: linux-wireless, netdev, jukka.rissanen

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Intel and Nokia are pleased to jointly launch the ConnMan project, an
> open source project to accelerate and expand development of Internet
> connection management for Linux Devices. ConnMan will be utilized as a
> technology within Moblin and Maemo. Connman.net is now the place to
> bring developers together who are interested in furthering the
> development of Internet connection management within Linux. Review the
> source code for more information. ConnMan is licensed under GPLv2, and
> provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within Linux
> devices. ConnMan is a fully modular system that can be extended, through
> plugins, to support all kinds of wired or wireless technologies.
> Configuration methods, like DHCP and domain name resolving, are
> implemented using plug-ins as well. The plug-in approach allows for easy
> adaption and modification for various use cases. Nokia and Intel will
> jointly maintain the ConnMan project. We'd like to invite all developers
> to join the connman.net effort and community.
>
> Marcel Holtmann, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> Jukka Rissanen, Nokia Devices, Maemo Software

I was wondering how this related to networkmanager.
Dan Williams just posted some comparisons:
http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/06/25/networkmanager-and-connman/

cheers,
Pádraig.

* Re: Announcing ConnMan.net
@ 2009-06-30 22:01   ` Thomas Fjellstrom
From: Thomas Fjellstrom @ 2009-06-30 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

On Thu June 25 2009, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Intel and Nokia are pleased to jointly launch the ConnMan project, an
> > open source project to accelerate and expand development of Internet
> > connection management for Linux Devices. ConnMan will be utilized as a
> > technology within Moblin and Maemo. Connman.net is now the place to
> > bring developers together who are interested in furthering the
> > development of Internet connection management within Linux. Review the
> > source code for more information. ConnMan is licensed under GPLv2, and
> > provides a daemon for managing Internet connections within Linux
> > devices. ConnMan is a fully modular system that can be extended, through
> > plugins, to support all kinds of wired or wireless technologies.
> > Configuration methods, like DHCP and domain name resolving, are
> > implemented using plug-ins as well. The plug-in approach allows for easy
> > adaption and modification for various use cases. Nokia and Intel will
> > jointly maintain the ConnMan project. We'd like to invite all developers
> > to join the connman.net effort and community.
> >
> > Marcel Holtmann, Intel Open Source Technology Center
> > Jukka Rissanen, Nokia Devices, Maemo Software
>
> I was wondering how this related to networkmanager.
> Dan Williams just posted some comparisons:
> http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2009/06/25/networkmanager-and-connman/

It will probably work better more often on more systems. At least that's what
I'm hoping. NWM refuses to work on my laptop at all (and its a thinkpad, with
a normal wifi card).

> cheers,
> Pádraig.

Thomas Fjellstrom