* rtc-pcf8563: STOP bit usage during time update?
@ 2021-09-25  7:00 David Müller (ELSOFT AG)
From: David Müller (ELSOFT AG) @ 2021-09-25  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-rtc

Hello

According to the example on page 30 of the EPSON datasheet
https://support.epson.biz/td/api/doc_check.php?dl=app_RTC-8564JE&lang=en
for the 8564 version of this chip, the time update sequence is as follows:

- set CTRLSTS1[STOP] bit to 1
- update time registers
- set CTRLSTS1[STOP] bit to 0

The NXP datasheet is not so explicit regarding STOP bit handling.

Nevertheless I don't see any STOP bit related action in the driver:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/rtc/rtc-pcf8563.c?h=v5.14#n244

Am I overlooking or missing something here?

* Re: rtc-pcf8563: STOP bit usage during time update?
@ 2021-10-25 10:25 ` Alexandre Belloni
From: Alexandre Belloni @ 2021-10-25 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Müller (ELSOFT AG); +Cc: linux-rtc

On 25/09/2021 09:00:00+0200, David Müller (ELSOFT AG) wrote:
> According to the example on page 30 of the EPSON datasheet
> https://support.epson.biz/td/api/doc_check.php?dl=app_RTC-8564JE&lang=en
> for the 8564 version of this chip, the time update sequence is as follows:
>
> - set CTRLSTS1[STOP] bit to 1
> - update time registers
> - set CTRLSTS1[STOP] bit to 0
>
> The NXP datasheet is not so explicit regarding STOP bit handling.
>
> Nevertheless I don't see any STOP bit related action in the driver:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/rtc/rtc-pcf8563.c?h=v5.14#n244
>
> Am I overlooking or missing something here?

You are not missing anything, the driver is not stopping the clock while
updating it. The hym8563 driver (which is compatible) does it.

--
Alexandre Belloni, co-owner and COO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering