* hibernate a system booted from external USB drive - is it posible ?
@ 2012-04-22 16:49 Toralf Förster
From: Toralf Förster @ 2012-04-22 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I wonder, whether it is expect to work with current stable kernel 3.3.2 or
not. Seems not to work here (s2ram works fine).
Hibernate however writes data to the swap partition, but during wakeup I get :

kernel: PM: Hibernation image partition 8:6 present
kernel: PM: Looking for hibernation image.
kernel: PM: Image not found (code -22)
kernel: PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.

and the system continues with normal boot. In addition there's a message from
swapon, that a suspend data signature was found and that is is overwritten
with the swap signature.

:-(

--
MfG/Sincerely
Toralf Förster

* Re: hibernate a system booted from external USB drive - is it posible ?
@ 2012-04-22 17:07 ` Michael Tokarev
From: Michael Tokarev @ 2012-04-22 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toralf Förster; +Cc: linux-kernel

On 22.04.2012 20:49, Toralf Förster wrote:
> I wonder, whether it is expect to work with current stable kernel 3.3.2 or
> not. Seems not to work here (s2ram works fine).
> Hibernate however writes data to the swap partition, but during wakeup I get :
>
> kernel: PM: Hibernation image partition 8:6 present
> kernel: PM: Looking for hibernation image.
> kernel: PM: Image not found (code -22)
> kernel: PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.

This is entirely an initramfs issue/question.  The device should be
present in early userspace when it attempts to resume.  Also, s2ram &Co
may not be prepared for changing device name/node.

I've a system with only one "drive" being an usb flash stick (Sandisk
Cruzer Fit).  This system is able to hibernate and resume just fine,
but I don't do it often (it is our router).

/mjt

* Re: hibernate a system booted from external USB drive - is it posible?
@ 2012-04-24 16:42   ` Toralf Förster
From: Toralf Förster @ 2012-04-24 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Tokarev; +Cc: linux-kernel

Michael Tokarev wrote at 19:07:45
> On 22.04.2012 20:49, Toralf Förster wrote:
> > I wonder, whether it is expect to work with current stable kernel 3.3.2
> > or not. Seems not to work here (s2ram works fine).
> > Hibernate however writes data to the swap partition, but during wakeup I
> > get :
> >
> > kernel: PM: Hibernation image partition 8:6 present
> > kernel: PM: Looking for hibernation image.
> > kernel: PM: Image not found (code -22)
> > kernel: PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.
>
> This is entirely an initramfs issue/question.  The device should be
> present in early userspace when it attempts to resume.

Yes - that its. I do not have an initrd, just buikding linux kernel from git :

$> make -j 3 && sudo su -c "mount /boot/; make modules_install && cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/linux-git"

which works well for a cold start, but during wakeup I get :

PM: Checking hibernation image partition /dev/sdb2
	then the internal sda are recognized
PM: Hibernation image not present or could not be loaded.
Waiting 15sec before mounting root device...
	now the USB devices are recognized>

 - too late for me  :-(