* [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
@ 2014-07-14 18:19 Dennis Luehring
From: Dennis Luehring @ 2014-07-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

i've followed the avices on Artyom Tarasenko's blog to install debian
wheezy sparc on qemu
but qemu won't boot the graphical installation

with -nographic the debian default installation seems to work

is this a known bug?

these are my installation steps

fresh ubuntu 14.04 x64 (3.13.0-30-generic) installation

apt-get install gcc-4.8 --> 4.8.2-19ubuntu1
apt-get install g++ --> 4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6

apt-get install git
apt-get install libglib2.0-dev --> 2.40.0-2
apt-get install libfdt-dev --> 1.4.0+dfsg-1

apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev --> 1.2.15-8ubuntu1.1
apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev --> 2.24.23-0ubuntu1.1
apt-get install libvte-dev --> 1:0.28.2-5ubuntu1

-->current debian weezy sparc from 2014/07/14, ~10:00
wget
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.6.0/sparc/iso-dvd/debian-7.6.0-sparc-DVD-1.iso

-->get qemu git revision c15a34eda0f270888a0e4676997317e1bd7894b8, head
at 2014/07/14, ~15:25

git clone git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git
cd qemu
./configure --target-list=sparc64-softmmu
make

./qemu/qemu-img create my_sparc_hda 4G

qemu-system-sparc64 -hda my_sparc_hda -cdrom
debian-7.6.0-sparc-DVD-1.iso -boot d

* Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
@ 2014-07-15 22:21 ` Mark Cave-Ayland
From: Mark Cave-Ayland @ 2014-07-15 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Luehring, qemu-devel

On 14/07/14 19:19, Dennis Luehring wrote:

> i've followed the avices on Artyom Tarasenko's blog to install debian
> wheezy sparc on qemu
> but qemu won't boot the graphical installation
>
> with -nographic the debian default installation seems to work
>
> is this a known bug?
>
> these are my installation steps
>
> fresh ubuntu 14.04 x64 (3.13.0-30-generic) installation
>
> apt-get install gcc-4.8 --> 4.8.2-19ubuntu1
> apt-get install g++ --> 4:4.8.2-1ubuntu6
>
> apt-get install git
> apt-get install libglib2.0-dev --> 2.40.0-2
> apt-get install libfdt-dev --> 1.4.0+dfsg-1
>
> apt-get install libsdl1.2-dev --> 1.2.15-8ubuntu1.1
> apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev --> 2.24.23-0ubuntu1.1
> apt-get install libvte-dev --> 1:0.28.2-5ubuntu1
>
> -->current debian weezy sparc from 2014/07/14, ~10:00
> wget
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/7.6.0/sparc/iso-dvd/debian-7.6.0-sparc-DVD-1.iso
>

> -->get qemu git revision c15a34eda0f270888a0e4676997317e1bd7894b8, head
> at 2014/07/14, ~15:25
>
> git clone git://git.qemu-project.org/qemu.git
> cd qemu
> ./configure --target-list=sparc64-softmmu
> make
>
> ./qemu/qemu-img create my_sparc_hda 4G
>
> qemu-system-sparc64 -hda my_sparc_hda -cdrom
> debian-7.6.0-sparc-DVD-1.iso -boot d

At the moment my work is focused on getting the basic system emulation
up and running, so I haven't spent much time looking at the graphics
side at all.

I have noticed that the kernel falls back to the dummy console during
boot, so perhaps it is unable to probe the VGA device. If you append
vga=ask to the command line, are you able to find a framebuffer choice
that works?

ATB,

Mark.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
@ 2014-07-17  6:43   ` Dennis Luehring
From: Dennis Luehring @ 2014-07-17  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Cave-Ayland, qemu-devel

Am 16.07.2014 00:21, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
> At the moment my work is focused on getting the basic system emulation
> up and running, so I haven't spent much time looking at the graphics
> side at all.
>
> I have noticed that the kernel falls back to the dummy console during
> boot, so perhaps it is unable to probe the VGA device. If you append
> vga=ask to the command line, are you able to find a framebuffer choice
> that works?

the vga=ask parameter is x86 only

* Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
@ 2014-07-17 22:22     ` Mark Cave-Ayland
From: Mark Cave-Ayland @ 2014-07-17 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Luehring, qemu-devel

On 17/07/14 07:43, Dennis Luehring wrote:

> Am 16.07.2014 00:21, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
>> At the moment my work is focused on getting the basic system emulation
>> up and running, so I haven't spent much time looking at the graphics
>> side at all.
>>
>> I have noticed that the kernel falls back to the dummy console during
>> boot, so perhaps it is unable to probe the VGA device. If you append
>> vga=ask to the command line, are you able to find a framebuffer choice
>> that works?
>
> the vga=ask parameter is x86 only
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/07/msg00872.html

Really? That's a shame. The problem I'm looking into at the moment is
related to incorrect BAR ranges properties for the ebus and VGA which
means that the properties in the device tree don't always match up.

Fortunately Linux tends to probe/configure everything itself which is
why it boots; the BSDs start parsing various BAR properties to find out
what resources have been assigned by OpenBIOS and then fall over when
the properties don't quite line up with how the BARs are programmed. It
could be that maybe the difference is also causing the VGA probe to fail?

If any of the Debian people are interested in helping and have a debug
kernel available, I'm sure it wouldn't take someone who has basic SPARC
Linux kernel knowledge too figure out what's happening (and even better
you can boot the kernel directly in QEMU with the -kernel parameter
rather than having to keep building a custom image).

ATB,

Mark.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
@ 2014-07-18  6:06       ` Dennis Luehring
From: Dennis Luehring @ 2014-07-18  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Cave-Ayland, qemu-devel

Am 18.07.2014 00:22, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
> On 17/07/14 07:43, Dennis Luehring wrote:
>
> > Am 16.07.2014 00:21, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:
> >> At the moment my work is focused on getting the basic system emulation
> >> up and running, so I haven't spent much time looking at the graphics
> >> side at all.
> >>
> >> I have noticed that the kernel falls back to the dummy console during
> >> boot, so perhaps it is unable to probe the VGA device. If you append
> >> vga=ask to the command line, are you able to find a framebuffer choice
> >> that works?
> >
> > the vga=ask parameter is x86 only
> >
> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/07/msg00872.html
>
> Really? That's a shame. The problem I'm looking into at the moment is
> related to incorrect BAR ranges properties for the ebus and VGA which
> means that the properties in the device tree don't always match up.
>
> Fortunately Linux tends to probe/configure everything itself which is
> why it boots; the BSDs start parsing various BAR properties to find out
> what resources have been assigned by OpenBIOS and then fall over when
> the properties don't quite line up with how the BARs are programmed. It
> could be that maybe the difference is also causing the VGA probe to fail?
>
> If any of the Debian people are interested in helping and have a debug
> kernel available, I'm sure it wouldn't take someone who has basic SPARC
> Linux kernel knowledge too figure out what's happening (and even better
> you can boot the kernel directly in QEMU with the -kernel parameter
> rather than having to keep building a custom image).

why not join debian-sparc@lists.debian.org and ask for help directly?

* Re: [Qemu-devel] can't boot debian wheezy sparc in qemu
@ 2014-07-18  8:29         ` Mark Cave-Ayland
From: Mark Cave-Ayland @ 2014-07-18  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dennis Luehring, qemu-devel

On 18/07/14 07:06, Dennis Luehring wrote:

> Am 18.07.2014 00:22, schrieb Mark Cave-Ayland:

>> > the vga=ask parameter is x86 only
>> >
>> > https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/07/msg00872.html
>>
>> Really? That's a shame. The problem I'm looking into at the moment is
>> related to incorrect BAR ranges properties for the ebus and VGA which
>> means that the properties in the device tree don't always match up.
>>
>> Fortunately Linux tends to probe/configure everything itself which is
>> why it boots; the BSDs start parsing various BAR properties to find out
>> what resources have been assigned by OpenBIOS and then fall over when
>> the properties don't quite line up with how the BARs are programmed. It
>> could be that maybe the difference is also causing the VGA probe to fail?
>>
>> If any of the Debian people are interested in helping and have a debug
>> kernel available, I'm sure it wouldn't take someone who has basic SPARC
>> Linux kernel knowledge too figure out what's happening (and even better
>> you can boot the kernel directly in QEMU with the -kernel parameter
>> rather than having to keep building a custom image).
>>

> why not join debian-sparc@lists.debian.org and ask for help directly?

Well, when I can find time then I'm still trying to fix up the PCI
BAR/device tree issues first :)  Once that part is working correctly
then I'll start to look at VGA display, however at the moment my next
priorities are to get the *BSDs and Solaris running in -nographic mode.

ATB,

Mark.