* Debating best tool to use
       [not found] <1004181630942804@mail.yandex.com>
@ 2021-09-06 16:10 ` KL
From: KL @ 2021-09-06 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

* Re: [yocto] Debating best tool to use
@ 2021-09-06 20:03   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2021-09-06 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 9:10 AM KL <deco33000@yandex.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I plan to have a minimal embedded system with BT, wifi, no gui, to host my application with my own webserver.
>
> My webserver+app are responsible to manage the OS (so I don't want anything else to do it). They receive new programs and load them according to my rules (that is our manager at work).
>
> I would like to avoid the plague of multiple configuration files put everywhere in files (like now in different profile directories...), but instead have my custom manager handle ALL the different settings for the OS (centralized point).
>
> We, at the office, compile and maintain the different software needed and send them by wifi.
>
> I want that OS to be built on top of Linux.
>
> Would Yocto enable me to do that? Is it the best tool for that?

Yes, it lets you build custom Linux distribution and eases the way to
add needed customization that one might require.

@ 2021-09-07 10:21     ` KL
From: KL @ 2021-09-07 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Re: [yocto] Debating best tool to use
@ 2021-09-07 15:38       ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2021-09-07 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 7 Sept 2021 at 11:22, KL <deco33000@yandex.com> wrote:
> Thanks does that mean that I can reshape the whole "everything is a file" under unix?
>
> I don't want /etc /var /usr (and any other premade structure you find in every linux distro...) but manage it differently via our db.
>
> You confirm that doable?

Doable? Yes, everything is open source.

Sensible?  Not really.  I'm not sure you've considered the scale of
what you're asking. For example, /etc/passwd and /etc/hosts are deeply
tied into large amounts of software.

You can make *your* software use whatever configuration database you
want, but you'll have a lot of work to do if you want to move the user
database or DNS resolver information out of /etc.

Ross

* Re: [yocto] Debating best tool to use
@ 2021-09-07 15:51         ` KL
From: KL @ 2021-09-07 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)