* Problem running make check
@ 2015-05-14 20:24 Michal Jarzabek
From: Michal Jarzabek @ 2015-05-14 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi,

After cloning ceph repo and then running:
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j 8
make check

make check always hangs after following lines:
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
PASS: unittest_texttable
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
PASS: unittest_on_exit
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
PASS: unittest_readahead
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
PASS: unittest_tableformatter
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
PASS: unittest_bit_vector
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
PASS: ceph-detect-init/run-tox.sh
LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so

Any idea what might be a problem?

Thanks,
Michal

* Re: Problem running make check
@ 2015-05-14 20:55 ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2015-05-14 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Jarzabek; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Michal Jarzabek <stiopa@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After cloning ceph repo and then running:
> ./autogen.sh
> ./configure
> make -j 8
> make check
>
> make check always hangs after following lines:
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
> PASS: unittest_texttable
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
> PASS: unittest_on_exit
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
> PASS: unittest_readahead
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
> PASS: unittest_tableformatter
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
> PASS: unittest_bit_vector
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
> PASS: ceph-detect-init/run-tox.sh
> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>
> Any idea what might be a problem?

You can try building without lttng, which has helped some users, and
you can check if you have high enough ulimit settings. The defaults on
my box were not high enough; I bumped both files and processes up to
16k and rebooted before I could get it working properly.
-Greg

* Re: Problem running make check
@ 2015-05-14 23:15   ` Loic Dachary
From: Loic Dachary @ 2015-05-14 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Jarzabek; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 14/05/2015 22:55, Gregory Farnum wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM, Michal Jarzabek <stiopa@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After cloning ceph repo and then running:
>> ./autogen.sh
>> ./configure
>> make -j 8
>> make check
>>
>> make check always hangs after following lines:
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>> PASS: unittest_texttable
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>> PASS: unittest_on_exit
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>> PASS: unittest_readahead
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>> PASS: unittest_tableformatter
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>> PASS: unittest_bit_vector
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>> PASS: ceph-detect-init/run-tox.sh
>> LD_PRELOAD=liblttng-ust-fork.so
>>
>> Any idea what might be a problem?

In addition to what Greg said:

./configure --without-lttng ...

lttng is indeed the most probably cause for failure. How much RAM/CPU does your machine have ? Is this running on SSD or spinner ? Not that a spinner would be a problem but mor than -j4 on a spinner is probably not a good idea because the disk will be the bottleneck.

> You can try building without lttng, which has helped some users, and
> you can check if you have high enough ulimit settings. The defaults on
> my box were not high enough; I bumped both files and processes up to
> 16k and rebooted before I could get it working properly.

> -Greg

Loïc Dachary, Artisan Logiciel Libre

* Re: Problem running make check
@ 2015-05-16  8:55     ` Michal Jarzabek
From: Michal Jarzabek @ 2015-05-16  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: ceph-devel

Loic: I've got 16GB ram, SSD and 3.3GHz 4 cores cpu

I have increased ulimit settings as Greg suggested to 16K and turned off lttng.
Now it hangs in different place:

PASS: unittest_ipaddr
PASS: unittest_texttable
PASS: unittest_on_exit
PASS: unittest_readahead
PASS: unittest_tableformatter
PASS: unittest_bit_vector
PASS: ceph-detect-init/run-tox.sh
FAIL: test/erasure-code/test-erasure-code.sh
PASS: test/run-rbd-unit-tests.sh

@ 2015-05-16 14:10       ` Michal Jarzabek
From: Michal Jarzabek @ 2015-05-16 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loic Dachary; +Cc: ceph-devel

Didn't notice that I had not enough space on my HDD.
It works now, thanks for help!

Michal