* Demo of abi checker hook with hashequiv
@ 2021-03-10 16:13 Michael Ho
From: Michael Ho @ 2021-03-10 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi all,

I wanted to share with the mailing list a small proof of concept / demo I created that shows how the hashequiv checksum hook can be overridden with a custom hook to avoid rebuilds where the file checksums are not exactly reproducible or change in a compatible manner. In the case of this demo it shows how an abi checker like libabigail can be used to avoid recompiling downstream applications when a recipe deploying a shared library introduces changes that still maintain the ABI (while still catching cases where the ABI breaks). Would be good to get any comments people have about this and also the general feasibility of using abi checkers in a Yocto build.

See: https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-abicompat and https://github.com/bmwcarit/meta-abicompat-poky

I found though to make this demo that I had to modify poky to split the do_package task into two parts in order to be able to re-package without inducing a recompilation. Would be also interesting to get some comments about what people think about this.

Kind regards,
Michael Ho

--
BMW Car IT GmbH
Michael Ho

Tel.: ­+49-731-37804-071
Mobil: +49-152-54980-471
Fax: +49-731-37804-001
Mail: michael.ho@bmw-carit.de<mailto:michael.ho@bmw-carit.de>
Web: http://www.bmw-carit.de<http://www.bmw-carit.de/>
BMW Car IT GmbH
Geschäftsführer: Kai-Uwe Balszuweit und Michael Böttrich
Sitz und Registergericht: München HRB 134810