* Failure to wake from S2D
@ 2015-04-16  9:47 Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2015-04-16  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm

Hi,

about 3-4 times out of 10, my system doesn't wake from S2D. S2R works
flawlessly. The only documentation I have is a screenshot when the system hangs
(hard reset required), due to "no_console_suspend=1".

The screendump is here:
http://www.fritha.org/dump.jpg

The dump shows the output running kernel 4.0.0-rc5, but the same output is
present using 3.19.x or 4.0.0 final.

Booting with "maxcpus=1" resolves the problem, but that can't be a serious
option on a multicore Xeon. The mainboard is an Asus H97-Pro with the latest
BIOS.

Thanks,
 Heinz.

* RE: Failure to wake from S2D
@ 2015-04-17  1:02 ` Zhang, Rui
From: Zhang, Rui @ 2015-04-17  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heinz Diehl, linux-pm

Have you checked any earlier kernel versions?

> Booting with "maxcpus=1" resolves the problem, but that can't be a serious
> option on a multicore Xeon. The mainboard is an Asus H97-Pro with the latest
> BIOS.

Does the problem still existing when using idle=poll?

What cpuidle driver are you using?

Please file a bug report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Power%20Management
With the test result after using boot option "idle=poll"

Thanks,
rui

> Thanks,
>  Heinz.

* Re: Failure to wake from S2D
@ 2015-04-17  6:23   ` Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2015-04-17  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zhang, Rui; +Cc: linux-pm

On 17.04.2015, Zhang, Rui wrote:

> Have you checked any earlier kernel versions?

No. Every hang means fs corruption, and this is a production machine.
At least some of the 3.19.x series shows the same behaviour.

> Does the problem still existing when using idle=poll?

Yes, it does.

> What cpuidle driver are you using?

[htd@chiara ~]$ cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpuidle/current_driver
intel_idle

> Please file a bug report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Power%20Management
> With the test result after using boot option "idle=poll"

Will do. However, idle=poll is not a permanent option on this system, since it
significantly increases heat and power consumption.

Thanks,
Heinz.

--
OpenPGP Fingerprint: 531E 8E75 4395 ED38 CEC2  FD75 A1EB 6944 60F4 A92C

* Re: Failure to wake from S2D
@ 2015-04-17  6:56     ` Heinz Diehl
From: Heinz Diehl @ 2015-04-17  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-pm; +Cc: Zhang, Rui

On 17.04.2015, Heinz Diehl wrote:

> > Please file a bug report at https://bugzilla.kernel.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Power%20Management
> > With the test result after using boot option "idle=poll"

> Will do. However, idle=poll is not a permanent option on this system, since it
> significantly increases heat and power consumption.

FWIW: here's a screendump from where it hangs with "idle=poll":
https://bugzilla.kernel.org/attachment.cgi?id=174251