* Can't even enter X after kernel 4.12
@ 2017-11-30  6:27 Chris Chiu
From: Chris Chiu @ 2017-11-30  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hdegoede, linux-acpi, Linux Upstreaming Team

Hi,
    I have a Intel cherry trail machine Haier HR101CW (CPU: x5-Z8350)
which used to work fine in kernel 4.11, fails to enter X after I
upgrade to kernel version later than 4.12. Even the latest 4.15, it
can't even enter X now. There's no panic, oops and even no obvious
error log. The panel backlight seems to be off but keyboard still
responds.

    Then I tried to do bisect, it tells me the commit
[b7ecf663c75eed1e764f57281f9508c49c18516e] ACPI / bus: Introduce a
list of ids for "always present" devices is the one which causes this.
After I revert this commit, the display back to normal.

    Maybe the DSDT file would help for your reference.
https://gist.github.com/mschiu77/e84687cc928ac644117baf05aef47f16

Chris

* Re: Can't even enter X after kernel 4.12
@ 2017-12-04 22:40 ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-12-04 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Chiu, linux-acpi, Linux Upstreaming Team

Hi Chris,

On 30-11-17 07:27, Chris Chiu wrote:
> Hi,
>      I have a Intel cherry trail machine Haier HR101CW (CPU: x5-Z8350)
> which used to work fine in kernel 4.11, fails to enter X after I
> upgrade to kernel version later than 4.12. Even the latest 4.15, it
> can't even enter X now. There's no panic, oops and even no obvious
> error log. The panel backlight seems to be off but keyboard still
> responds.
>
>      Then I tried to do bisect, it tells me the commit
> [b7ecf663c75eed1e764f57281f9508c49c18516e] ACPI / bus: Introduce a
> list of ids for "always present" devices is the one which causes this.
> After I revert this commit, the display back to normal.
>
>      Maybe the DSDT file would help for your reference.
> https://gist.github.com/mschiu77/e84687cc928ac644117baf05aef47f16

Hmm, Daniel Drake from Endless send me a Vios LTH17 machine which
has similar symptoms. If this is indeed the same issue then adding:
i915.fastboot=1 to the kernel commandline should fix this.

This is going to be the default for newer kernels soon-ish (4.16
I think), so we can use this as a workaround for now.

As for the commit you bisected this to, can you try just commenting
out the: "80862288" entry in always_present_ids in
drivers/acpi/x86/utils.c ? I think that is triggering the problem.

Without that entry we don't get backlight control, so if you
comment it you will likely not be able to control brightness,
so i915.fastboot=1 is a better fix, but it would be good to know
if commenting out just that entry fixes things (and breaks
brightness control).

Without i915.fastboot=1 the i915 driver quickly turns the
backlight off and on again at boot, which I guess is confusing
the LCD panel...

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Can't even enter X after kernel 4.12
@ 2017-12-05 15:42   ` Chris Chiu
From: Chris Chiu @ 2017-12-05 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede; +Cc: linux-acpi, Linux Upstreaming Team

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> On 30-11-17 07:27, Chris Chiu wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>      I have a Intel cherry trail machine Haier HR101CW (CPU: x5-Z8350)
>> which used to work fine in kernel 4.11, fails to enter X after I
>> upgrade to kernel version later than 4.12. Even the latest 4.15, it
>> can't even enter X now. There's no panic, oops and even no obvious
>> error log. The panel backlight seems to be off but keyboard still
>> responds.
>>
>>      Then I tried to do bisect, it tells me the commit
>> [b7ecf663c75eed1e764f57281f9508c49c18516e] ACPI / bus: Introduce a
>> list of ids for "always present" devices is the one which causes this.
>> After I revert this commit, the display back to normal.
>>
>>      Maybe the DSDT file would help for your reference.
>> https://gist.github.com/mschiu77/e84687cc928ac644117baf05aef47f16
>

> Hmm, Daniel Drake from Endless send me a Vios LTH17 machine which
> has similar symptoms. If this is indeed the same issue then adding:
> i915.fastboot=1 to the kernel commandline should fix this.
>
> This is going to be the default for newer kernels soon-ish (4.16
> I think), so we can use this as a workaround for now.
>
> As for the commit you bisected this to, can you try just commenting
> out the: "80862288" entry in always_present_ids in
> drivers/acpi/x86/utils.c ? I think that is triggering the problem.
>
> Without that entry we don't get backlight control, so if you
> comment it you will likely not be able to control brightness,
> so i915.fastboot=1 is a better fix, but it would be good to know
> if commenting out just that entry fixes things (and breaks
> brightness control).
>
> Without i915.fastboot=1 the i915 driver quickly turns the
> backlight off and on again at boot, which I guess is confusing
> the LCD panel...
>
> Regards,
>
> Hans

Hmm...the i915.fastboot=1 seems not work on my Haier machine here.
However, comment out the: "80862288" entry in always_present_ids in
drivers/acpi/x86/utils.c do work. Do you need anything on this special
machine?

@ 2017-12-05 19:09     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-12-05 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Chiu; +Cc: linux-acpi, Linux Upstreaming Team

Hi,

On 05-12-17 16:42, Chris Chiu wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 6:40 AM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> On 30-11-17 07:27, Chris Chiu wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>       I have a Intel cherry trail machine Haier HR101CW (CPU: x5-Z8350)
>>> which used to work fine in kernel 4.11, fails to enter X after I
>>> upgrade to kernel version later than 4.12. Even the latest 4.15, it
>>> can't even enter X now. There's no panic, oops and even no obvious
>>> error log. The panel backlight seems to be off but keyboard still
>>> responds.
>>>
>>>       Then I tried to do bisect, it tells me the commit
>>> [b7ecf663c75eed1e764f57281f9508c49c18516e] ACPI / bus: Introduce a
>>> list of ids for "always present" devices is the one which causes this.
>>> After I revert this commit, the display back to normal.
>>>
>>>       Maybe the DSDT file would help for your reference.
>>> https://gist.github.com/mschiu77/e84687cc928ac644117baf05aef47f16
>>

>> Hmm, Daniel Drake from Endless send me a Vios LTH17 machine which
>> has similar symptoms. If this is indeed the same issue then adding:
>> i915.fastboot=1 to the kernel commandline should fix this.
>>
>> This is going to be the default for newer kernels soon-ish (4.16
>> I think), so we can use this as a workaround for now.
>>
>> As for the commit you bisected this to, can you try just commenting
>> out the: "80862288" entry in always_present_ids in
>> drivers/acpi/x86/utils.c ? I think that is triggering the problem.
>>
>> Without that entry we don't get backlight control, so if you
>> comment it you will likely not be able to control brightness,
>> so i915.fastboot=1 is a better fix, but it would be good to know
>> if commenting out just that entry fixes things (and breaks
>> brightness control).
>>
>> Without i915.fastboot=1 the i915 driver quickly turns the
>> backlight off and on again at boot, which I guess is confusing
>> the LCD panel...
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hans
>>

> Hmm...the i915.fastboot=1 seems not work on my Haier machine here.
> However, comment out the: "80862288" entry in always_present_ids in
> drivers/acpi/x86/utils.c do work. Do you need anything on this special
> machine?

On the VIOS LTH17 I just need i915.fastboot=1 and then things work
(with a 4.14 kernel) the 80862288 entry in that table makes Linux bind
to the pwm controller in the Z8350, which is usually used for brightness
control.

Do you get a brightness slider in gnome3 with the 80862288 entry commented
out? And does it work ?

Regards,

Hans