* Drop 2.2/2.4 kernel support in alsa-driver build?
@ 2011-07-12 16:12 Takashi Iwai
From: Takashi Iwai @ 2011-07-12 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

[This is resent since I haven't seen my original post due to
 alsa-project.org site down.  If you have already read it, please
 disregard.]

Hi,

in upcoming 3.0-kernel era, I believe it's high time to drop the
support of old 2.2/2.4 kernels in alsa-driver external builds.
Recently I changed some PCI drivers to use KBUILD_MODNAME, and this
isn't supported by the old kernels, i.e. it's currently broken for
these kernels.  But I have no more gut to patch alsa-driver/* codes.

Is there any active user of such kernels with the latest alsa-driver?
If not, let's clean up the whole things.
2.2/2.4 kernel users can still use 1.0.24, and we can release 1.0.24.x
series if really needed.

thanks,

Takashi

* Re: Drop 2.2/2.4 kernel support in alsa-driver build?
@ 2011-07-12 16:51 ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2011-07-12 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai; +Cc: alsa-devel

Date 12.7.2011 18:12, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> [This is resent since I haven't seen my original post due to
>  alsa-project.org site down.  If you have already read it, please
>  disregard.]
>
> Hi,
>
> in upcoming 3.0-kernel era, I believe it's high time to drop the
> support of old 2.2/2.4 kernels in alsa-driver external builds.
> Recently I changed some PCI drivers to use KBUILD_MODNAME, and this
> isn't supported by the old kernels, i.e. it's currently broken for
> these kernels.  But I have no more gut to patch alsa-driver/* codes.
>
> Is there any active user of such kernels with the latest alsa-driver?
> If not, let's clean up the whole things.
> 2.2/2.4 kernel users can still use 1.0.24, and we can release 1.0.24.x
> series if really needed.

I agree. I believe that these kernels are using minimum users now.
Almost all embeded devices are using 2.6 kernels, too.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer

* Re: Drop 2.2/2.4 kernel support in alsa-driver build?
@ 2011-07-12 20:48 ` Clemens Ladisch
From: Clemens Ladisch @ 2011-07-12 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

Takashi Iwai wrote:
>in upcoming 3.0-kernel era, I believe it's high time to drop the
>support of old 2.2/2.4 kernels in alsa-driver external builds.
>Is there any active user of such kernels with the latest alsa-driver?

When I was still testing such older kernels, I regularly
found compatibility bugs. So I guess the current alsa-driver
would not work anyway.

Regards,
Clemens