* Re: FreeBSD and xfsprogs ?
       [not found]   ` <CAG6CVpXi3rb-NfLUXQqzStipmwRviKJPMpgKeQA9DfBmOWJ5oQ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-03-27 16:07     ` Darrick J. Wong
From: Darrick J. Wong @ 2018-03-27 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Conrad Meyer
  Cc: Cy Schubert, Luis R. Rodriguez, Carlos Maiolino, freebsd-arch,
	Eric Sandeen, xfs

[cc the xfsprogs maintainer]
[cc xfs list]

On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:57:55PM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> Yeah, someone broke the build recently via a base toolchain change or
> a ports framework/compiler change.  I don't think that changes
> anything.
>
> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wrote:
> > In message <CAG6CVpU3qe10UUY6B-N4fs9WTwwUerVcJh0CrP22D8hvB4Z14Q@mail.gma
> > il.com>
> > , Conrad Meyer writes:
> >> On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 12:18 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@kernel.org> wrote
> >> :

> >> redhat.com
> >>
> >> Hi Luis,
> >>
> >> FreeBSD 11+ can mount XFS filesystems read and write via a FUSE port
> >> incorporating LKL[0] (sysutils/fusefs-lkl).  I would appreciate

Yikes.  I'm curious, how many people use fusefs-lkl?

Eric will have more to say about this, but is your xfsprogs port still
on 3.2.4 because ./configure can't find libblkid?

--D

> >> xfsprogs retaining FreeBSD support at least for creating or modifying
> >> offline XFS filesystems, if it isn't too painful for you.
> > fusefs-lkl is flagged broken as of r465272.
> >

> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com>
> > FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy@FreeBSD.org>   Web:  http://www.FreeBSD.org
> >
> >         The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few.

* Re: FreeBSD and xfsprogs ?
@ 2018-03-27 16:48       ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2018-03-27 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Darrick J. Wong, Conrad Meyer
  Cc: Cy Schubert, Luis R. Rodriguez, Carlos Maiolino, freebsd-arch, xfs

On 3/27/18 11:07 AM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> [cc the xfsprogs maintainer]
> [cc xfs list]

Yes, thanks.

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:57:55PM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> Yeah, someone broke the build recently via a base toolchain change or
>> a ports framework/compiler change.  I don't think that changes
>> anything.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert@cschubert.com> wrote:
>>> In message <CAG6CVpU3qe10UUY6B-N4fs9WTwwUerVcJh0CrP22D8hvB4Z14Q@mail.gma
>>> il.com>

> Yikes.  I'm curious, how many people use fusefs-lkl?
>
> Eric will have more to say about this, but is your xfsprogs port still
> on 3.2.4 because ./configure can't find libblkid?

So: At this point, it seems like if you're still on a 4 year old xfsprogs
release with custom patches due to build problems we've never heard about,
there doesn't seem to be a very strong effort to keep XFS on FreeBSD thriving.

And, given that you're stuck on 3.2.4, removing support from 4.16.0 won't
change your situation anyway.

Are people using this?  Is anyone dedicated to maintaining it, or is it
just kind of floating along at this point?

I'd rather not keep non-building freebsd code around just in case; I'd like
to either see someone take ownership to get freebsd properly building upstream,
or just drop it and let FreeBSD keep patching on the side as you've been doing
for a few years anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Eric

* Re: FreeBSD and xfsprogs ?
@ 2018-03-27 22:32         ` Dave Chinner
From: Dave Chinner @ 2018-03-27 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Sandeen
  Cc: Darrick J. Wong, Conrad Meyer, Cy Schubert, Luis R. Rodriguez,
	Carlos Maiolino, freebsd-arch, xfs

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:48:29AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> On 3/27/18 11:07 AM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> > [cc the xfsprogs maintainer]
> > [cc xfs list]
>
> Yes, thanks.
>
> > On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:57:55PM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
> >> Yeah, someone broke the build recently via a base toolchain change or
> >> a ports framework/compiler change.  I don't think that changes
> >> anything.

> > Yikes.  I'm curious, how many people use fusefs-lkl?
> >
> > Eric will have more to say about this, but is your xfsprogs port still
> > on 3.2.4 because ./configure can't find libblkid?
>
> So: At this point, it seems like if you're still on a 4 year old xfsprogs
> release with custom patches due to build problems we've never heard about,
> there doesn't seem to be a very strong effort to keep XFS on FreeBSD thriving.
>
> And, given that you're stuck on 3.2.4, removing support from 4.16.0 won't
> change your situation anyway.
>
> Are people using this?  Is anyone dedicated to maintaining it, or is it
> just kind of floating along at this point?
>
> I'd rather not keep non-building freebsd code around just in case; I'd like
> to either see someone take ownership to get freebsd properly building upstream,
> or just drop it and let FreeBSD keep patching on the side as you've been doing
> for a few years anyway.
>
> Thoughts?

We don't support fuse-lkl XFS filesystems on Linux, so I'm not sure
that using it on some other platform compels us to maintain a
current userspace tool port to those platforms...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

* Re: FreeBSD and xfsprogs ?
@ 2018-03-28 12:02           ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-03-28 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dave Chinner
  Cc: Eric Sandeen, Carlos Maiolino, Conrad Meyer, Darrick J. Wong,
	xfs, Luis R. Rodriguez, freebsd-arch

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 09:32:01AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> We don't support fuse-lkl XFS filesystems on Linux, so I'm not sure
> that using it on some other platform compels us to maintain a
> current userspace tool port to those platforms...

IFF we have someone signing up to maintain the FreeBSD port it seems
like a whortwhile exercise.  But that is a big IFF.

For now I'd say give it a grace period of another release or two to
see if someone is going to maintain it properly and if not drop it.

* Re: FreeBSD and xfsprogs ?
@ 2018-04-03 16:12             ` Eric Sandeen
From: Eric Sandeen @ 2018-04-03 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig, Dave Chinner
  Cc: Eric Sandeen, Carlos Maiolino, Conrad Meyer, Darrick J. Wong,
	xfs, Luis R. Rodriguez, freebsd-arch

> On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 09:32:01AM +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
>> We don't support fuse-lkl XFS filesystems on Linux, so I'm not sure
>> that using it on some other platform compels us to maintain a
>> current userspace tool port to those platforms...
>
> IFF we have someone signing up to maintain the FreeBSD port it seems
> like a whortwhile exercise.  But that is a big IFF.
>
> For now I'd say give it a grace period of another release or two to
> see if someone is going to maintain it properly and if not drop it.

Just to keep it on this thread - I'm going to commit this to 4.16:

+#warning "FreeBSD support is deprecated and planned for removal in July 2018"
+#warning "Contact linux-xfs@vger.kernel.org if you'd like to maintain this port"
+#error   "Remove this line if you'd like to continue the build"

for to FreeBSD & the other platforms we're talking about deprecating.

That should get the attention of anyone who cares, I think.  If someone wants
to step up and maintain it, let us know on the list.

Thanks,
-Eric