* Attaching ubifs on a NOR flash
@ 2011-07-06 14:34 Alex Levin
From: Alex Levin @ 2011-07-06 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

after ubiformatting the flash (NOR) and trying to attach ubi I get the
following error:

UBI: attaching mtd2 to ubi0
UBI: physical eraseblock size:   262144 bytes (256 KiB)
UBI: logical eraseblock size:    262016 bytes
UBI: smallest flash I/O unit:    1
UBI: VID header offset:          64 (aligned 64)
UBI: data offset:                128
UBI warning: ubi_scan: 2 PEBs are corrupted
corrupted PEBs are: 0 1
UBI error: ubi_read_volume_table: the layout volume was not found
ubiattach: error!: cannot attach mtd2
           error 22 (Invalid argument)

I think it has something to do with ECC (that is absent on the NOR device).

Please advice,
Alex.

* Re: Attaching ubifs on a NOR flash
@ 2011-07-07  6:33 ` Artem Bityutskiy
       [not found]   ` <CAALhOvC2nXqfFcx=-hgwCs5gJcACeyX7TmBSJq9MS11PtVsqQA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2011-07-07  6:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Levin; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Wed, 2011-07-06 at 17:34 +0300, Alex Levin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after ubiformatting the flash (NOR) and trying to attach ubi I get the
> following error:
>
> UBI: attaching mtd2 to ubi0
> UBI: physical eraseblock size:   262144 bytes (256 KiB)
> UBI: logical eraseblock size:    262016 bytes
> UBI: smallest flash I/O unit:    1
> UBI: VID header offset:          64 (aligned 64)
> UBI: data offset:                128
> UBI warning: ubi_scan: 2 PEBs are corrupted
> corrupted PEBs are: 0 1
This is the reason. Most probably you did not format it properly.
Please, tell how exactly you formatted it, check dmesg, take a look here
for some hints:

http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/doc/ubi.html#L_how_send_bugreport

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

@ 2011-07-08  3:46     ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2011-07-08  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Levin; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Thu, 2011-07-07 at 17:59 +0300, Alex Levin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> here is the dmesg output and the way that I have formatted it:

hmm, dunno, could you please enable the "build" debugging messages and
provide them. Also, please, keep the MTD mailing list in CC.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: Attaching ubifs on a NOR flash
@ 2011-07-10  8:14       ` Alex Levin
From: Alex Levin @ 2011-07-10  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dedekind1; +Cc: linux-mtd

OK, I'll keep MTD mailing list in CC.

What is the build debugging message? the kernel build? (where do I
enable it? I run a SoC - host or target?)

@ 2011-07-13  8:16         ` Alex Levin
From: Alex Levin @ 2011-07-13  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dedekind1; +Cc: linux-mtd

Hi,

Any thing new?

Thanks,
Alex.

@ 2011-07-20  4:09         ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2011-07-20  4:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Levin; +Cc: linux-mtd

Sorry for late reply, I'm very busy now.
On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 11:14 +0300, Alex Levin wrote:
> What is the build debugging message? the kernel build? (where do I
> enable it? I run a SoC - host or target?)

I meant UBI debugging messages. UBI debugging messages are split into
several classes, and one of them is called "build". Basically, this is
about making "dbg_bld()" UBI macro print. I do not know which kernel you
use, so I cannot say for sure, but in older kernels they could be
enabled in the kernel configuration menu, while in newer kernels - via
module parameters and sysfs, in the newest - they are enabled using the
standard dynamic debug interface.

I will amend the docs in the web site, but current docs describe older
kernel: http://www.linux-mtd.infradead.org/faq/ubi.html#L_how_debug

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy