* Real-time audio over local network with good quality
@ 2016-03-31 18:52 Ricardo Biehl
From: Ricardo Biehl @ 2016-03-31 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hello guys! I'm sorry if this mail is not part of the scope of this list :-(

I've come from the kernelnewbies mailing list with the same subject as
following ...

I'm working on a project which aims to be a microphone system that
will work over local network <https://github.com/ricardobiehl/ipmic>.
So I've found many difficulties in ALSA library and Linux Network.
Basically, I need help to make my software get low latency and high
quality audio :-) .

When I said "high quality audio" I'm referring to (1channel * 16bit
sample * 22050Hz) without noise. And "low latency" is about to 0.1
second or less.

Any contribution with the project is welcome!

Thank you a lot!

--
Ricardo Biehl Pasquali

* Re: Real-time audio over local network with good quality
@ 2016-04-05 15:47 ` Caleb Crome
From: Caleb Crome @ 2016-04-05 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Biehl; +Cc: alsa-devel

What software is running on the microphone?  If it's linux, you can use
netjack, or perhaps pulseaudio too.  I'm not familiar with pulse though.

-Caleb

@ 2016-04-09 22:07   ` Ricardo Biehl
From: Ricardo Biehl @ 2016-04-09 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Caleb Crome; +Cc: alsa-devel

> What software is running on the microphone?  If it's linux, you can use
> netjack, or perhaps pulseaudio too.  I'm not familiar with pulse though.

Yes, is Linux.
I'll look about netjack! Thank you :-)

Cheers!

> -Caleb
>

> On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 11:52 AM, Ricardo Biehl <rbpoficial@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys! I'm sorry if this mail is not part of the scope of this list
>> :-(
>>
>> I've come from the kernelnewbies mailing list with the same subject as
>> following ...
>>
>> I'm working on a project which aims to be a microphone system that
>> will work over local network <https://github.com/ricardobiehl/ipmic>.
>> So I've found many difficulties in ALSA library and Linux Network.
>> Basically, I need help to make my software get low latency and high
>> quality audio :-) .
>>
>> When I said "high quality audio" I'm referring to (1channel * 16bit
>> sample * 22050Hz) without noise. And "low latency" is about to 0.1
>> second or less.
>>
>> Any contribution with the project is welcome!
>>
>> Thank you a lot!
>>
>> --
>> Ricardo Biehl Pasquali

Ricardo Biehl Pasquali

* Real-time audio over local network with good quality
@ 2016-03-28 18:29   ` Ricardo Biehl
From: Ricardo Biehl @ 2016-03-28 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM, Ricardo Biehl <rbpoficial@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello guys!
>
> Hi Ricardo,
>
>> Sorry if this question is not part of the scope of this list.
>>
>> I'm developing a real-time microphone system that will work over local
>> network using ALSA library and sockets API with IP (UDP/TCP support)
>> <https://github.com/ricardobiehl/ipmic>.
>
> This looks like pure userspace, and going up to the level above, this
> list is probably not the best place for it.

Thank you, I'll avoid to write messages like this.

>> The purpose is to make a good replacement to traditional microphone
>> systems (wired or wireless).
>> The problem is that I found difficulties in network control and in
>> ALSA library too :-) .
>
> Yes, I know :)

:-)

>> Basically I need help to select the best network scheduler algorithm,
>> set the right parameters, and (in audio) create a PCM plug which
>> supports (1 channel * 16 bit sample * 22050 Hz) and BLOCKING opening
>> mode. All this without quality loss and real-time.
>
> Theres a lot of details you gloss over here, that will eventually have
> to be solved
>
> 1) how do you handle signalling (mic goes way, new one appears)
> 2) what kind of equipment do you support? (one computer for each mic
> gives you expensive mics)
> 3) signal (time)correlation, you need some timestamping to the samples
> to if you are going to combine local feedback
> 4) Consistent alsa config across all endpoints

These factors are really important, I'm going to thinking about!

1 -> In my current state I do not have signal handling yet.
1 -> Equipment is a detail which I'm very concerned, I thought
smartphones is a good transmitter. :-) .
3 -> I think timestamping could be ignored right now in my current branch!?
4 -> ALSA conf files are one of the most important parts, because they
are necessary to convert rate etc.

> What you need is network hardware, both in the NIC and in the network
> infrastructure that can properly prioritize your streams and provide
> accurate timestamps.

It's ok.

> Have you looked at similar projects, like AES67 and TSN/AVB?
>
> AES67 is a best-effort approach, TSN requires support in the network
> to prioritize the streams. Go and have a gander at OpenAVB  [1]
>
>> Any contribution with the project is welcome!
>
> There may be something in the works that will be shipped out for RFC
> soon (see [2])

I haven't looked it yet, thanks!

Thank you for reply!
Big hug!

--
Ricardo Biehl Pasquali

* Real-time audio over local network with good quality
       [not found] ` <CADCM1LA0VkN=uuPeJ8jnpoq0djCoQspef=zYjuyRhyc7=XxVKw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-03-28 17:54   ` Ricardo Biehl
From: Ricardo Biehl @ 2016-03-28 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

> Hello Ricardo,
>
> Hope you are good.
> I would suggest you post the query on alsa dev list(mail forum) for more
> specific reply on your queries on ALSA driver.

Ok, thanks :-)
I'll do it!

> Also,i kind of like the idea.Are you looking for some assistance on your
> project would love to contribute.

Cool!
As I've told, anyone is welcomed to contribute in the project,
provided that it respects the original purpose and the KISS philosophy.

> I am working in an MNC in Audio Driver Domain for last 7 years.

Wow!

> https://www.linkedin.com/profile/preview?locale=en_US&trk=prof-0-sb-preview-primary-button

^ this link didn't open :-(

Cheers and thank you for reply!

--
Ricardo Biehl Pasquali

--
Ricardo Biehl Pasquali

* Real-time audio over local network with good quality
@ 2016-03-28  7:42 ` Henrik Austad
       [not found] ` <CADCM1LA0VkN=uuPeJ8jnpoq0djCoQspef=zYjuyRhyc7=XxVKw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Henrik Austad @ 2016-03-28  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies