* LPSS backlight control (Dell Venue 8 Pro)
@ 2016-01-01 16:04 C. B.
From: C. B. @ 2016-01-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: intel-gfx

Hello All,

Re: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2015-April/065313.html

>Recently I noticed another device Dell Venue 8 Pro (BYT-CR) which should be
>using LPSS backlight control. There is already a LPSS PWM chip driver in
>upstream kernel which should be used in this case. That patch is for another day

I would like to humbly register my interest in seeing this support
added in. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro running Linux and I'd like to be
able to adjust the backlight.  I also noticed vbetool dpms control
doesn't work either; not sure whether that's related?

CB

* Re: LPSS backlight control (Dell Venue 8 Pro)
@ 2016-01-04  9:42 ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2016-01-04  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: C. B., intel-gfx; +Cc: Shobhit Kumar

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016, "C. B." <cbrookes@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Re: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2015-April/065313.html
>
>>Recently I noticed another device Dell Venue 8 Pro (BYT-CR) which
>>should be using LPSS backlight control. There is already a LPSS PWM
>>chip driver in upstream kernel which should be used in this case. That
>>patch is for another day
>
> I would like to humbly register my interest in seeing this support
> added in. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro running Linux and I'd like to be
> able to adjust the backlight.

Shobhit, any thoughts or news on LPSS backlight?

> I also noticed vbetool dpms control doesn't work either; not sure
> whether that's related?

It's expected vbetool does not work with i915. vbetool bypasses the
driver to access hardware registers owned by i915. It's also unrelated
to LPSS.

BR,
Jani.

* Re: LPSS backlight control (Dell Venue 8 Pro)
@ 2016-01-04 11:50   ` Kumar, Shobhit
From: Kumar, Shobhit @ 2016-01-04 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula, C. B., intel-gfx; +Cc: Shobhit Kumar

On 01/04/2016 03:12 PM, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Fri, 01 Jan 2016, "C. B." <cbrookes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello All,
>>
>> Re: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/intel-gfx/2015-April/065313.html
>>
>>> Recently I noticed another device Dell Venue 8 Pro (BYT-CR) which
>>> should be using LPSS backlight control. There is already a LPSS PWM
>>> chip driver in upstream kernel which should be used in this case. That
>>> patch is for another day
>>
>> I would like to humbly register my interest in seeing this support
>> added in. I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro running Linux and I'd like to be
>> able to adjust the backlight.
>
> Shobhit, any thoughts or news on LPSS backlight?

Yeah, this got sidelined by other stuff. Should be doable. Let me get
back onto this. Will surely need testing support as don't have this
device with me.

Regards
Shobhit

@ 2016-01-05 21:07     ` C. B.
From: C. B. @ 2016-01-05 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar, Shobhit; +Cc: Shobhit Kumar, intel-gfx

On 4 January 2016 at 05:50, Kumar, Shobhit
<shobhit.kumar@linux.intel.com> wrote:

> Yeah, this got sidelined by other stuff. Should be doable. Let me get back
> onto this. Will surely need testing support as don't have this device with
> me.

I would, obviously, be delighted to assist in testing any patches.

CB